Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
I was surprised to learn that the undergraduate acceptance at GaTech was 50%+ ... how is it still able to be ranked alongside the other top eng schools in the nation like Berkeley, et al ?
Acceptance rate don't really matter. If you have a school where you have thousands of applicants with 2.0s and 900 SAT score then of course you can artificially inflate your "selectivity"

OR if you really encourage each and everyone to apply, you can deny many admissions. The people who apply at Tech are best of the best. Whereas you look at GSU or GA Southern and the top 25% make the bottom 25th percentile at UGA/GT..if they were accepted.

And rankings are determined by more important things such as graduate programs, endowment and research expenditure, academic and employer reputation, undergrad and grad education, citations per faculty, GPA and SAT etc.

Collegeboard has GA Southern listed as "very selective" because they have a 47% acceptance rate. Obviously GA Southern isn't very selective. It's just that stupid people apply and get rejected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 AM

You also have to remember that UC-Berkley has a lot more majors than Tech, undergrad and grad. They attract less students/applicants because there are simply less degree programs offered there.

Berkley is a beast. I mean look at this..law..medicine..chemistry..political science..biological sciences..earth science..computer science..business..economics..social work...statistics..freaking English & history. All for a public school. Incredible

University of California--Berkeley | Overall Rankings | Best College | US News

And also Cali is a huge state. UC-Berk got 52,966 applicants in 2011. GT only got 14,088. There are also simply less people in Georgia than there are in California.

I hope the USG can become like Cali. We need more Asians

Last edited by ChefRamsey; 01-11-2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
How did GSU go down? This is really worrying and I don't understand. As far as I'm concerned, they had a long streak of going up in SAT and GPA...Now they are going down? What is wrong? I'm starting to feel like the diversity they attempt to employ at GSU is what is holding them back. I know GSU can easily have an average GPA of 3.5 and SAT of 1100.

I'm really beginning to regret my decision to attend this school. I'm assumed it was an up and comer, but now it seems it's going back downhill? Maybe I should have just went to Tech after all. At this rate, I might have to get a master's degree lol.
Calm down. A one-year fluctuation of 13 points is nothing to worry about--yet.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
I was surprised to learn that the undergraduate acceptance at GaTech was 50%+ ... how is it still able to be ranked alongside the other top eng schools in the nation like Berkeley, et al ?

Self-selection/self-elimination.

Georgia Tech has higher proportion of applicants that are actually prime candidates for being accepted.

Part of this is due to GT having less options/less majors than a place like UC Berkeley (as someone just mentioned above).

Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM

Exactly. And I'd argue that Tech's curriculum difficulty>Berkley's curriculum difficulty..for STEM majors. That's just my personal opinion. Know people at both schools as well as alumni.

Btw, Tech has a 51% acceptance rate. 50%+ is a bit a of a hyperbole. Does anyone else find it concerning that Valdosta State has a 58% acceptance rate? What type of people apply to these schools!?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Btw, Tech has a 51% acceptance rate. 50%+ is a bit a of a hyperbole. Does anyone else find it concerning that Valdosta State has a 58% acceptance rate? What type of people apply to these schools!?
A big part of GT's admission rate is 'who applies?' Those that want to be engineers and those that have great grades. There are likely not a lot fo 3.3 GPA/1100 SAT score kids applying to GT like there are to most of those other schools (including even UGA). That kids has NO chance of getting in short of having naked pics of the president's wife. This keeps GT's admission rate high. I don't think it is a problem as long as the quality of student stays high.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
A big part of GT's admission rate is 'who applies?' Those that want to be engineers and those that have great grades. There are likely not a lot fo 3.3 GPA/1100 SAT score kids applying to GT like there are to most of those other schools (including even UGA). That kids has NO chance of getting in short of having naked pics of the president's wife. This keeps GT's admission rate high. I don't think it is a problem as long as the quality of student stays high.
Basically what I said only with no examples or additional info. But yeah. Acceptance rates don't matter at all.

Don't worry ant, if it makes you feel any better GSU had the same "acceptance rate" as Tech lol 51%

Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
How did GSU go down? This is really worrying and I don't understand. As far as I'm concerned, they had a long streak of going up in SAT and GPA...Now they are going down? What is wrong? I'm starting to feel like the diversity they attempt to employ at GSU is what is holding them back. I know GSU can easily have an average GPA of 3.5 and SAT of 1100.

I'm really beginning to regret my decision to attend this school. I'm assumed it was an up and comer, but now it seems it's going back downhill? Maybe I should have just went to Tech after all. At this rate, I might have to get a master's degree lol.
What worries me about Georgia State is that not only did they receded back to 2002 levels in terms of GPA AND SAT score, but they also enrolled their largest ever student population. They also received a record number of applicants. The USG average went up, as did all research universities and even smaller schools saw a brighter, often times larger student body. The smarter students either aren't bothering applying to GSU or they aren't enrolling at GSU. We can also assume many top students go off to transfer to Georgia Tech or UGA. GSU is listed as 4th most transfers to UGA. I'm sure many transfer to Georgia Tech as well. Maybe even other schools like GCSU, Mercer or Emory.

Our prediction was right. I was anticipating KSU to surpass GSU in terms of averages in the next five years, but they did so last year. I stand by what I've been saying all along in that GSU is not doing nearly enough to compete with other schools. They've stood by for too long and now Southern and KSU are actual competitors. With GA Southern alumni now on the Board of Regents, I think they ought to watch out. GSU students aren't even average in our very large University System, and that's very worrisome to me.

But one or two losses is ok. Public universities in Georgia did a great job for 2012.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM

It wasn't just GSU that went down hill. In terms of SAT.. Armstrong Atlantic went down, West Georgia went down, Clayton State went down, Augusta State and Georgia Southwestern went down by 1 SAT point lol

For GPA, Albany State went down, Clayton state went down.

Interesting..GPC's GPA went up. 2.59 to 2.65. GGC stayed the same at 2.72

Old 01-11-2013, 06:35 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
I wonder why GGC has a higher posted GPA than GPC? Now that GPC is also going 4-years, I wonder what it'll mean. Chances are, not much will change. At least I hope not. I really wish someone would merge with Atlanta Metropolitan. Either GPC or GGC, maybe even Georgia State if they can utilize their resources.

Even if Morehouse or Clark were to scoop them up. Brown Mackie perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta