Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 07:21 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times

Advertisements

I grew up with guns in our home .
My dad came through the great depression ,and did a lot of hunting for the family meal.
Times were hard then .
Dad taught me gun safety and in those days they were storred in his closet. By the time I was 10 I had my own .22 rifle . I didn't need it for hnting but when we went to the desert we practiced at tin cans and targets .
At 12 years old I went to hunter safety training and passed the course with flying colors .
At 16 dad bought me a 30/30 winchester , and we went hunting together.
We lived in the mountains ,so ventureing into the bush was most every week end for us unlesss work demanded other wise .
I have grown up with guns all my life and have inherited several too. mostly antiques .
In all my years the track of history has proven that where people are armed crime is down . where people have been disarmed crime is very high .
At a time when fewier police are around and they are not here to protect you , this is a well known fact , all they do is make reports , many are bullies with a license .
I'have worked inside the police department , and I have an extensive number of retired law enforcment acquaintences, I know what goes on .
Being afraid of guns is pure hype not reality.
Many of you drive and a car is far more dangerous .
A knife @ 21 feet in the hand of an amature fellon is more lethal than a trained police officer .And that my friends is a well known fact, they are very nervous about .
It doesn't take a knife, all it takes is something fairly sharp to end your day.
Attempting to dis arm people only makes the fellon more powerful and that is a fact.
As long as there is a chance a potential target is armed ther will not atempt it ,too much is at stake.
Did you ever declaw a domestic cat ?
Do you know what happens to said cat if it happens to venture out side like other cats do ? They become prey. Even to other cats.
All humans are preditors even legal ones that never touch a gun are preditors making a living on the unfortunate.
Go ahrad and burry your head in the sand , some thing will come and eat whats showing .
Disarming any country has only made them more vulnerable and more dependent on a government that isn't there to do any thing about it nor do the care . Except for political manouvering .
As it is criminals have more rights than victoms, and you want to give them even more power by removing guns from good people ?
Wnen has a criminal paid for dammages ? The courts won't do any thing .
Who's side are you really on ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 07:23 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Cars are insured. I think I addressed this issue in this thread already.
So it's ok for someone to be killed if the family gets some good money from it? WHAT!?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
You have nothing left to counter me with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So it's ok for someone to be killed if the family gets some good money from it? WHAT!?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,093 times
Quote:
Do I care to put forth such energy in order to debate someone who is it seems has already made a decision on the issue one way or another? Nope, I don't care to.
How could I make up my mind when you made no proposal. I am not opposed to the principal that, assuming straw sales are as big a problem as you imply, there might be additional steps that could be taken to curb them.

Here, I'll suggest one.

I read somewhere that frequently, straw purchases are kind of obvious. Two people come in the store, one person shops, the other buys. Perhaps that's true. Why do the dealers sell? Well, they don't KNOW it's a straw sale, at best they only suspect, and they have the bottom line to think of.

So how about this. Create an incentive for the store to report such things. Let them keep the money from the sale, report it to the police, turn over the video and ID of the purchaser and let them investigate.

They don't even need to prove the original purchase was a straw purchase, if they sold or gave the weapon to someone they know is ineligible to purchase legally, that's all they need to lock both of them up. PROVING a straw purchase is hard. After all, "I changed my mind on the way home, but my friend said he'd buy it from me instead of going all the way back to return it", whether true or not, makes it legal, and proving such a statement false is difficult. BUT, if your friend has a record, and you knew it, you're screwed anyway.

No new laws required, no inconveniencing legal buyers, and perhaps cutting down on the problem.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times
Quote:
You have nothing left to counter me with.
Nothing can quite counter your implication that having car insurance makes it ok to kill people with a car.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:13 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
AR-15 shoots faster, is lighter, easier to handle, etc. . . etc. . . . .

Read the first line of my post again, where i said they're simply fun to shoot. I like having it.

Its my constitutional right to have it.

Cars kill people, cigarettes kill people, bears kill people, hands and feet kill people; do any of these things belong in a civilized society?

I hope in public your careful with your words on this subject. Saying them on the internet is one thing, but in public iits entirely different. Especially with new people that may come into your life or total strangers. Because with as many of these massacres that this country has had. You just never know. You could run into someone that has had family killed or wounded, in one of the many shootings we have had in this country. I fear if nothing is done this will go on as it has, more of them. We all know that. People may respect your rights concerning your guns, as you feel you have one. However their tolerance for it is waning. As that right is taking a very heavy toll on people, and thier burying thier dead.

If Americans had guns but didn't adopt a gun culture, which actually is a big part of this problem. Then Georgia wouldn't have as many as 22000 machine guns, or where I live Arizona probably has double that. So its more than liking guns and there fun thats causing disgust. Its the overwhelming gun culture and love for them, and the constant push for more guns and less laws. With not one shread of compromise or respect for those that are killed by them. Especially with these assault rifles. I honeslty wonder do many hard core gun owners really care about what is going on. I have never heard one honest and complete response from these gun organizatons. As to why Americans must have all these assault rifles, with what is going on in this country. All I hear is more guns and arm more people. And it is thier right to bear arms.

I believe you probably are a responsible gun owner I don't doubt that.I doubt many people would want to see your guns taken away from you. However I think its understandable. Many people feel thier lives in America are being completely taken over by the push for more guns. As if all problems in society are settled by using a gun.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:35 PM

454 posts, read 821,050 times
I am with Acid Snake here. What is wrong with tightening restrictions at gun shows for example?

Some of you guys are so brainwashed, paranoid and gullable its laughable. The NRA are just a bunch of gun industry puppets making money taking advantage of you by playing on your fears and are in-directly culpable of killing thousands of US citizens and massively raising our healthcare costs due to all the carnage. In all my years in a professional job in Alanta I have never heard such crazy talk, if more people did hear this talk then our state wouldn't attract any business or tourism and we would be world renowned kooks.

And truly what kind of idiots rush to Walmart to buy 1000's of rounds of amunition or a bunch of guns the week before Xmas? Its not normal behaviour.

Sorry to be so harsh but this is 2012 not 1812. Wake up and see how you are being manipulated.................

Last edited by jpatlanta; 12-22-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 10:26 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
At a time when fewier police are around and they are not here to protect you , this is a well known fact , all they do is make reports , many are bullies with a license .
I'have worked inside the police department , and I have an extensive number of retired law enforcment acquaintences, I know what goes on .
Still, if you are a LE officer in Georgia, it would have to pretty intimidating to know that there are hundreds of thousands (maybe even millions) of well armed citizens out there who are prepared to take you down in a split second. It would not make me feel good to know that the citizens have at least 22,000 machine guns.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 AM

415 posts, read 972,131 times
Quote:
And I said that the felony was not being enforced very well. Could I have been more precise about what exactly should be done with straw purchasing? Sure, I could have been.

Do I care to put forth such energy in order to debate someone on that one point, a person who is it seems has already made a decision on the issue one way or another? Nope, I don't care to.

Sorry if I didn't come up with a precise answer to your liking, but that's not my responsibility. I am not trying to convince you of anything one way or another. I posed my opinion and that's it.

After that, I let others be the judge if what I say convinces them to go to my side or if what I say makes them go to the other side. Sometimes I might throw in a fact here or there if I really felt strong about one particular point. And sometimes I would just put an opinion out there, and see what happens next.

If you want to take my lack of precision on certain points as some major indictment of my understanding on this issue, so be it. But you were just as much lacking in precision with many of your points as well.

At the end of the day I am not trying to convince you personally of anything. Nor do I care to. Simple as that.

Okay so I got the terminology screwed up. I meant to say private seller. Whoops.

And yet my argument stays the same regardless of the nits you are picking with my terminology and precision in certain statements.
......the beginning of the end of critical thought and rational objectivity......*sigh*

Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
You sound like an NRA follower. Thank you for your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
......the beginning of the end of critical thought and rational objectivity......*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: