Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 AM

23 posts, read 85,807 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one living in the great state of Georgia that misses my state? Over the past years and with the booming growth of Atlanta, this state is becoming everything I hate...With people flooding in from everywhere, our beautiful culture and herritage are being pushed out for a Wal-Mart sign.

People from the north and other areas moving in think we should do everything their way, and could care less about our roots, but when you go to their state and do the same thing, you're an ignorant redneck...What gives?

I for one miss the Georgia that I have known and loved for my entire life. I miss sittin' around talking to complete strangers over a cold Coke and not having my intelligence insulted for being a native Georgian that "doesn't understand progress".

Am I alone in these feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Sorry but Northerners didn't bring Wal Mart. Other Southerners did.

As for the rest of your post, it sounds like a strawman...

Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 AM

23 posts, read 85,807 times
When did I relate Wal-Mart to the north? I'm quite aware that Wal-Mart is HQ'd in Bentonville Arkansas...Notice that I said "With people flooding in from everywhere"...Everywhere doesn't necessarily mean "the north"...Not that I even consider Arkansas a southern state...that's not the point.

Anywho, it's nothing personal against northeners, I don't blame them for leaving the place...But it's just a shame to see all of our herritage and culture being pushed out in the name of progress

Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 AM

21 posts, read 79,605 times
Keep your heritage and culture and don't let it get pushed out. I can relate but from a much bigger standpoint. Immigrants coming to our country and trying to change America. We can't say Christmas anymore ect, ect. People tell me happy holidays, I say Merry Christmas back to them.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:10 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times
Some of us new to Georgia are other Southerners...

Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityFuture View Post
Am I the only one living in the great state of Georgia that misses my state? Over the past years and with the booming growth of Atlanta, this state is becoming everything I hate...With people flooding in from everywhere, our beautiful culture and herritage are being pushed out for a Wal-Mart sign.

People from the north and other areas moving in think we should do everything their way, and could care less about our roots, but when you go to their state and do the same thing, you're an ignorant redneck...What gives?

I for one miss the Georgia that I have known and loved for my entire life. I miss sittin' around talking to complete strangers over a cold Coke and not having my intelligence insulted for being a native Georgian that "doesn't understand progress".

Am I alone in these feelings?
You mean the same way that I'm automatically assumed to be some "damn Yankee who wants to strip the south of it's roots and impose my way of doing everything?" Sounds like your stereotype has equal and opposite stereotypes working against it within your very argument......

Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
I can relate but from a much bigger standpoint. Immigrants coming to our country and trying to change America
Yes, all the way fron England, Ireland, Germany, France, Italy, Russia... and Africa, Asia, South America.....

Quote:
We can't say Christmas anymore ect, ect
I say Christmas all over the time. Are you not capable of speaking well?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 AM

21 posts, read 79,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Yes, all the way fron England, Ireland, Germany, France, Italy, Russia... and Africa, Asia, South America.....

I say Christmas all over the time. Are you not capable of speaking well?
Did you not read my response? I say Merry Christmas back to them.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityFuture View Post
...Notice that I said "With people flooding in from everywhere"...Everywhere doesn't necessarily mean "the north
"The north" is the only place you specifically mentioned.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,816 times
I moved from Georgia to the North (Ohio). I have vowed not to complain about the area that I moved to - because being a native Southerner I have heard it all my entire life.

Now maybe I moved to an exceptionally nice area (central Ohio), but I really cannot understand why people are choosing to leave. The weather is not that cold and the economy is doing pretty good.

One day I hope to move back South - I just I hope it doesn't change too much and the cost of living doesn't go "sky high" before I can get back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta