Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,113,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
You mean no more prison overcrowding? Putting 4 inmates in a cell designed for 2?

You mean police forces won't be understaffed, tight on budget, and stretched thin anymore?

Yeah, you are absolutely right. Governments certainly wouldn't want that!
You do realize that city and county jails are the ones that are usually overcrowded here in GA right?
I wasn't talking about jails, i was referring to prisons. Prison and jail are two totally different things. On a state prison level the only places that are over crowded are the Diagnostic Centers like Jackson State Prison where they house inmates for the first part of their bid to see what facility to ship them off to from there. GA has no problems building new prisons or letting a private company build and run one. And the Diagnostic Centers being crowded is due more to the morons at the Gold Dome than anything. It makes no sense to house dudes in a facility for a year or so just so you can decide what prison he should go to. And the private prisons like D. Ray James, Coffee and Wheeler want all the inmates they can get. Thats why the private prison lobby on the low is very powerful under the Gold Dome. They charge the state per inmate, then turn around and do stuff like charge the inmates $6 a minute to use the phone, charge a fee to check out books and magazines, and to top it off they put these guys to work making stuff like school furniture and pay them literal slave wages while selling at a normal price point. Yeah you're right no one wants that to continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Ask him
Haha. The Great Hizenburger. Can't wait for it to come back on.
But Atlanta is not Albequerque (sp). You won't find any meth kingpins in the city. Now places in the suburbs is a different story .....Lol

Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 AM

14,831 posts, read 7,471,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Neither does marijuana
Yes it does. There you go again making a moral judgement for everyone else.

Quote:
Alcohol kills over ten thousand people a year, the last thing we need is another legal method for people to impair themselves, then make bad decisions.
Weed kills basically no one, and it is less harmful and less impairing than alcohol. Hence, absolutely no reason it should be illegal.

Quote:
We make moral judgements every day on people with the law. Doing 100mph and ignoring stop lights and school buses would have a profoundly positive effect on mine and millions of others, but the potential downsides are enough to cause us to apply and enforce speed limits, and stopping for school buses.
Another invalid comparison. Doing 100mph and ignoring stop lights puts both you and others at significant risk. Using marijuana responsibly puts no one at risk.

Quote:
Australia, Canada, France, Russia, and the United Kingdom all issue licenses for low-THC hemp production. There is a distinct difference between the low THC cultivated in these places for its fibers, and the higher-THC content plant that people smoke. I'll own-up here to making some incorrect statements myself. Since there is a distinction, the downsides to industrial hemp I was thinking about are invalid, however one does remain: it would not be outside the realm of possibility for a low-THC producer to mix-in a few high-THC plants for illegitimate purposes.
Ok, thanks for that info, I'll have to check into what those countries have.

Quote:
I'm not a legal expert of any kind, but I believe the test given to suspected drunk drivers is covered not only under reasonable suspicion, but the implied consent law whereas a blood test, requiring a detainment (arrest) would require probable cause which an officer making a stop of a high person, may not have. Again, I'm not a legal expert, and this should be taken as my GUESS based on what little I do know about our legal system.

But until we actually do develop a quick and reliable field test, this plant should not be legalized, even with the proviso of no smoking and driving. The impairments of alcohol vs THC are enough that THC intoxication can't be determined as reliably with a "walk the line, say the alphabet" style sobriety test.
So the cartels are just going to give up? Or will they use even harsher tactics to try and force the other legitimate businesses out and extorting others, effectively a racketeering system? If there is going to be legalization, then the cartels need to be dealt with first and suppressed to a point where they can't either begin violent racketeering, or simply switch to a new commodity (like stepping up their cocaine or heroin "business").
But again, the cartels will NEVER be suppressed as long as they are the main ones fulfilling the demand.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
We've also wasted billions on this useless "War on traffic offenses" campaign, I guess it's time to stop letting the police forces patrol the roads.

Ok, fine, let's decriminalize everything. Like high explosives, and nuclear materials.

And the downsides to industrial hemp (namely the drug) far outweigh the benefit of maintaining it, especially when even places where industrial hemp is allowed, are using modern materials.

I went and looked up what referendums had been on what ballots and when. The majority of the ones on the November voting day were struck down, while the majority that passed were during mid-year elections.
What Prohibition?????

Hey Matt....Im literally smoking right now. Some very nice Blueberry dream. Im kicked back about to watch my Birds go at it. Life is great!!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 AM

14,831 posts, read 7,471,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
What Prohibition?????

Hey Matt....Im literally smoking right now. Some very nice Blueberry dream. Im kicked back about to watch my Birds go at it. Life is great!!!!!!!
Well as others have said, no one actually cares anymore if you smoke weed, except the police.

But what does that say about our society? It means that we've come to recognize that it is not something which is horribly evil or will lead to a negative outcome if done responsibly.

That simple fact means that keep it illegal in law has really become a hypocritical position.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Well as others have said, no one actually cares anymore if you smoke weed, except the police.

But what does that say about our society? It means that we've come to recognize that it is not something which is horribly evil or will lead to a negative outcome if done responsibly.

That simple fact means that keep it illegal in law has really become a hypocritical position.
Some police don't even care. Got pulled over by APD for speeding on Cleveland Ave some years back and I had just finished a J in the car. The cop just kinda laughed and told me to step my game up and stop smoking mid grade marijuana. He actually made a joke out of it.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:54 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,608,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
What Prohibition?????

You messing up the rotation!!! Pass that $#!t man!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:00 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,608,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Ask him
Isn't that the dadguy from Malcolm in the Middle?? Looks like that guy. So he sells drugs now? Why he looking like Mr Ming from Flash Gordan?

Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,060,800 times
Malcolm's dad is a drug kingpin in Albuquerque now. You have been missing out on the only good thing on TV!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM

254 posts, read 421,825 times
I hope Atlanta's population decreases. And I hope people atleast move an hour away, or to the ritsy suburbs, or to St Simons or savannah..SOMEWHERE SAFE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta