Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,887,763 times

Advertisements

If people don't feel they should pay for transit if they don't use it, then should people pay for freeways if they don't use it? I hear this argument from the anti transit crowd.

How about making all freeways tolls. That sounds fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 06:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,117,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
If people don't feel they should pay for transit if they don't use it, then should people pay for freeways if they don't use it? I hear this argument from the anti transit crowd.

Most of the freeways in this metro are Interstates. Aren't those federally funded?

(I honestly don't know who repairs interstate highways)

Old 07-07-2012, 06:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,145,643 times
Quote:

I think raising the gas tax should cover the road user fee without the additional bureaucracy, infrastructure, and manpower tolling all the freeways would require.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM

725 posts, read 1,280,919 times
Roads provide an economic engine to the region, the same is true for transit. In my mind the GDOT should fund both roads and transit. I also am in favor of user fees to cover the gaps (GDOT can't pay for everything on its general budget) such as a higher gas tax and distance based fares on MARTA, the more you use the more you pay.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think raising the gas tax should cover the road user fee without the additional bureaucracy, infrastructure, and manpower tolling all the freeways would require.
Then people who only or mostly use surface streets have to pay. How is that fair?

Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,145,643 times
Quote:
Then people who only or mostly use surface streets have to pay. How is that fair?
Why not? Those streets have to be paid for too.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,550,161 times
Whichever way is cool with me. If people don't want to have the price of transit on their taxes then that's fine, but then you should have the option to not pay for roads. If you're mostly a train/bus rider why should you pay for roads? Or, if they want everyone to pay for both then technically that could be fair too...in fact I know a city that charges a tax to everyone living there for the transit. It's free anytime you get on it, but that's because you've already paid all taxes on it. It actually has encouraged almost everyone there to use it to varying amounts.

People are constantly talking about raising the gas tax...that's so ridiculous. I swear most people don't realize that it's only a little part of the gas tax that actually goes towards the roads. If you raise that tax you're mostly going to be helping fund the general fund and miscellanious things and making maybe a teny tiny dent in actual road problems.

It is ironic though isn't it? The same people who claim they wouldn't dare take transit and believe they should pay each time they ride are EXTREMELY against any toll roads and have a hissy whenever the road 'GA 400' is mentioned.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 PM

858 posts, read 1,386,964 times
What are you on about? Roads are already mostly paid for by the people who use them.

What do you mean you don't use freeways, anyway? How do you think all the food you eat and the stuff you own got here?

Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
What are you on about? Roads are already mostly paid for by the people who use them.

What do you mean you don't use freeways, anyway? How do you think all the food you eat and the stuff you own got here?
I am talking about freeways.

I pay that tax in the food for the trucks that use freeways.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,675,118 times
Quote:
I am talking about freeways.

I pay that tax in the food for the trucks that use freeways.
Not really. Perhaps a small part of the federal taxes a company incurs goes to transportation, but in GA food is taxed very little and in other states, not at all.

Highways are essential for the movement of goods for all people, not just those in big cities. (So are trains and ports, for that matter.)

The real question is how to pay for infrastructure and how to pay to maintain infrastructure, not who should pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta