Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,417,071 times

Advertisements

Well, seeing how those lanes tend to get pretty crowded in the morning and afternoon, I'd say it leads to where plenty of people live. Just because you don't choose to live there doesn't mean the road leads "nowhere".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,908,213 times
Quote:
Well, seeing how those lanes tend to get pretty crowded in the morning and afternoon, I'd say it leads to where plenty of people live. Just because you don't choose to live there doesn't mean the road leads "nowhere".
It gets crowded because people wanted cheap homes and never thought about the commute. Now those people travel on an inadequate freeway and want the rest of the taxpayers to expand it or add reversible toll lanes. If 575 was never built, would Cherokee County have seen the suburbanization it currently has?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,857,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So, because it doesn't lead to anywhere that you happen to go, it leads to "nowhere". Interesting concept......
I'm in no way opposed to 575. But it in no way improved traffic congestion in my area or lessened my commute times.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,908,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm in no way opposed to 575. But it in no way improved traffic congestion in my area or lessened my commute times.
If anything it made congestion around Town Center worse with 2 freeway exists on the same road a couple miles apart.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:43 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,857,518 times
I'm sure 575 has been an economic driver for folks in that part of town. However, in terms of regional impact it's not relieving traffic or otherwise helping my area at all.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:36 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,417,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It gets crowded because people wanted cheap homes and never thought about the commute.
Bear this in mind- one of the main reasons that the Atlanta metro was able to grow like it did was because of the availability of "cheap homes". Not everyone wants to live in small, old homes in "up and coming" areas, so if that's all that was available, Atlanta would be nothing like it is today.

Quote:
Now those people travel on an inadequate freeway and want the rest of the taxpayers to expand it or add reversible toll lanes.
Ohh....so when someone else wants "the rest of the taxpayers" to pay for what they want, it's a bad thing, but when you want the taxpayers to foot the bill for MARTA escalator maintenance, or for a Clifton Corridor line that 99.9 % of the population will never use, it's "sometimes we have to do things for the greater good of the overall region". Interesting......

Quote:
If 575 was never built, would Cherokee County have seen the suburbanization it currently has?
Perhaps, perhaps not- could be the old "what came first- the chicken or the egg" concept. But consider this- if, 10-15 years in the future there was suddenly the wonderful rail system that you envision, linking every part of the metro area and allowing the construction of the "transit-oriented development" that you so often tout, what do you think would happen to the home values in your neighborhood? You claim that the values there are improving because millenials want to live close to transit- so what would happen when the millenials could now find a nicer, newer, less expensive home near a transit station in Cobb, or Cherokee, or wherever, where they didn't have to worry about waiting for the neighborhood and schools to improve? Think about that for a bit, and you might find that you'll want to be careful what you wish for......

Old 07-09-2012, 04:25 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,168,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
"Try reading reading between the lines. You are missing the whole point of the post dude and fighting your own argument."

^^^^
Man what is UP with these anonymous messages on the rep points? What is with y'all right-wingers and this incredible need to troll on the sly?

To the Jerkoff that's too much of a coward to confront me on my opinions...I have a good idea who you are...If you have a disagreement, either tell me out in the open or shut up.

I don't care for rep points if they are going to be followed by anonymous messages that seek to insult my intelligence. Friggin' A man, friggin' A...
Wow, such class. That's another reason why I wish all rep comments showed who wrote them.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,117,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Wow, such class. That's another reason why I wish all rep comments showed who wrote them.
I tend to sign mine.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,693,549 times
Quote:
It gets crowded because people wanted cheap homes and never thought about the commute. Now those people travel on an inadequate freeway and want the rest of the taxpayers to expand it or add reversible toll lanes. If 575 was never built, would Cherokee County have seen the suburbanization it currently has?
I agree. We need more toll roads. In NYC metro most roads require a toll.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:21 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,693,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Perhaps, perhaps not- could be the old "what came first- the chicken or the egg" concept. But consider this- if, 10-15 years in the future there was suddenly the wonderful rail system that you envision, linking every part of the metro area and allowing the construction of the "transit-oriented development" that you so often tout, what do you think would happen to the home values in your neighborhood? You claim that the values there are improving because millenials want to live close to transit- so what would happen when the millenials could now find a nicer, newer, less expensive home near a transit station in Cobb, or Cherokee, or wherever, where they didn't have to worry about waiting for the neighborhood and schools to improve? Think about that for a bit, and you might find that you'll want to be careful what you wish for......
NYC is still expensive and you can take Metro-North to Westchester and Fairfield Counties, PATH to NJ, and Long Island Rail Road to Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta