Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:13 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times

Advertisements

My God, I knew Atlanta had a crime problem, but now drug cartels are kidnapping people? What the HELL is going on down there??? Is this Atlanta or Miami?

Metro abductions up on 'flood of drugs' | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/07/19/drugs_0720.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)

And this is going on in one of those "safe" suburbs so many people in here love to recommend! EGAD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 06:57 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,194 times
"The victims are suspected drug runners or drug dealers, and they're making someone mad," Spellman said. "Somehow, they came up short."

As someone who grew up during the cocaine cowboys days in Miami (a very violent time), I never had any issues or problems because I am not part of that world.

Do I rather not have these issues...of course! But am I going to freak out about it...nope! I have bigger problems to worry about.

The cocaine cowboys (Colombians) are long gone and I suspect the same will happen to the Mexicans in time. They will learn the same lessions that the Colombians did.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:01 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
My God, I knew Atlanta had a crime problem, but now drug cartels are kidnapping people? What the HELL is going on down there??? Is this Atlanta or Miami?

Metro abductions up on 'flood of drugs' | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/07/19/drugs_0720.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)

And this is going on in one of those "safe" suburbs so many people in here love to recommend! EGAD!
Atlanta has become a major drug distribution location that is utilized by the Mexican cartels because of its proximity to the large illegal drug markets up and down the east coast. Coming up from the southwest border, Atlanta is the first major east coast city you hit. I think Atlanta has probably surpassed Miami as a drug distribution site because the Columbian cartels, rather than taking cocaine in by boats directly to south Florida, have now outsourced the importation to the Mexican cartels who bring the drugs over the land border.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 PM

193 posts, read 692,847 times
It's in gwinnett county... say no more. Good thing they voted Marta down though, I'm sure they all feel safer now.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:46 PM

23,446 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martarider View Post
It's in gwinnett county... say no more. Good thing they voted Marta down though, I'm sure they all feel safer now.
As loath as I am to admit it, I knew when I clicked on the article that the word 'Gwinnett' was going to be what I saw...

Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
Yeah, actually Atlanta is one of the top cities on the east coast for drugs, due to it being a major distribution point with its interstates.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:49 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
As said above- they're kidnapping their own crews, so who cares? They can all kill each other and no one would miss them. Things like this don't have any effect on my daily life, so I just don't give a ****.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:12 AM

245 posts, read 652,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
As loath as I am to admit it, I knew when I clicked on the article that the word 'Gwinnett' was going to be what I saw...
haha, me too. They should change the water towers -- "Gwinnett -- the gang and home invasion capital of Georgia."

Old 07-20-2008, 07:25 AM

102 posts, read 364,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
As said above- they're kidnapping their own crews, so who cares? They can all kill each other and no one would miss them. Things like this don't have any effect on my daily life, so I just don't give a ****.
Are you kidding? You don't think they are going to be moving into "nicer areas"? I live an a very upscale area of Gwinnett County within a few miles of these incidents. Sooner or later an innocent person is going to get caught in the crossfire!

Gwinnet has become an absolute ghetto in the past 6 years and is getting worse all the time. After 17 years, we are (hopefully) outta here in the spring...heading out of Georgia all together.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:30 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I think that's right. Most of the violence seems to be criminal on criminal over drug debts. Rarely does this sort of violence spill out to innocent bystanders. A drive-by shooting in a neighborhood would be far worse than this rash of kidnappings in terms of innocent people being jeopardized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta