Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM

32,063 posts, read 37,028,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
A lot of the reason it isn't in Midtown or Buckhead is the land cost and lack of available space in those areas.
Of course the land costs would be prohibitive.

My point is that even laying that aside, something that looks like this would never be permitted in a more affluent area of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 PM

562 posts, read 786,851 times
The Pantheon would definitely draw attention from the rest of the country and/or world due to its unique architecture. It makes a bold statement about the city with its modern and forward thinking design. Plus, how cool would it be seeing the television aerial views of that stadium with the city in the background when coming back from commercial breaks.

It definitely has my vote over the other bland design. I do wish the roof was more open as others have said, but I'll take that compromise over a bland stadium with a more open design.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
I do wish the roof was more open as others have said, but I'll take that compromise over a bland stadium with a more open design.
I agree. If they could provide more open air, while keeping the same general appearance, I think this would be the best choice. There is not much point in spending money on a retractable roof if sunlight is only going to fall on a small portion of the field (particularly in the late afternoon.)

Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,192,700 times
New Falcons Stadium Renderings | www.ajc.com

Not too keen on either proposal. The solarium looks like a warehouse. And the pantheon just looks...weird. What's up with the scoreboard running around the roofline?

I do like the ease of converting to basketball and soccer configurations, however. That will be really nice when the Final Four comes to town.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,974,589 times
Judging by the comments already, I know that whatever design is picked (even with finalized tweeks and changes) 95% of people on here will dislike it. As usual....

I like the interior of the solarium and its openness, being able to see the skyline.
I like the exterior of the pantheon, but the roof should open more and unfortunately the skyline wouldn't be seen.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 AM

23,661 posts, read 44,434,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
The Pantheon would definitely draw attention from the rest of the country and/or world due to its unique architecture. It makes a bold statement about the city with its modern and forward thinking design. Plus, how cool would it be seeing the television aerial views of that stadium with the city in the background when coming back from commercial breaks.

It definitely has my vote over the other bland design. I do wish the roof was more open as others have said, but I'll take that compromise over a bland stadium with a more open design.
Well said. Remember the 'bird's nest' stadium at the Beijing Olympics? It created a worldwide sensation. The Pantheon could do the same.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,923,622 times
the solarium just looks like a prefab gymnasium they used to build for elementary schools back in the day.

actually brings back depressing memories. either way i don't like it. the pantheon has its own problems though. it's not really an 'open' stadium. this is an open stadium:

the pantheon is like the georgia dome with a skylight. the players won't be affected by wind, sun, anything. if they really want a truly dual experience, where you can have a fully indoor or fully outdoor game, they're going to have to modify the design. but the pantheon is the right way to go *out of these two*.

one major thing i'm concerned about is how the stadium is going to interact with martin luther king drive and andrew young blvd. the way it's depicted in the video here:

New Falcons Stadium Renderings | www.wsbtv.com

is that the viaducts will remain and the stadium won't even front the street. what really needs to happen is the stadium needs to have some kind of retail space fronting those streets so the space stays active even when there isn't a game.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 25,008,337 times
Of those 2, which I am not a fan or, I like the Solarium. The openness of the glass gives spectators view of the skyline. The Roof opens up more and it blends in with the surrounding architecture, by looking like a modern all glass warehouse. The Pantheon is just ugly, like the birds nest in Beijing.

Last edited by cqholt; 05-01-2013 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: Good looking out joey86.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,260,761 times
You got the names mixed up cq.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,372,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Of course the land costs would be prohibitive.

My point is that even laying that aside, something that looks like this would never be permitted in a more affluent area of town.
Modern, daring architecture isn't allowed in affluent areas? Nothing could be further from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta