Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,890,885 times

Advertisements

MARTA > About Marta > Planning

Clifton Corridor Details
Recommended Alternative
The alternative described below is pending approval from the MARTA Board of Directors
  • 8.8 miles of light rail double track (includes tunnels and elevated sections)
  • 10 light rail station platforms
    • Lindbergh Center (Transfer to Red or Gold Lines)
    • Cheshire Bridge
    • Sage Hill
    • CDC/Emory Point
    • Emory-Rollins
    • Emory-Clairmont
    • North Decatur
    • Suburban Plaza
    • DeKalb Medical Center
    • Avondale Station (transfer to Blue Line)
  • 3 additional optional stations for consideration
    • Piedmont (Transfer to BeltLine)
    • DeKalb Industrial
    • North Arcadia (old DeVry campus)
  • 2 Maintenance and/or storage facilities

not excited about the light rail at all. are we going to have any more HRT in the atlanta area, ever?

i'm not saying we don't need light rail at all— we do. but we need it for those "last mile connections" that would be coming off of the main tracks. this line is pretty independent of either of the HRT tracks. imagine trying to get a "last mile" light rail coming off of this line that goes through emory village, druid hills, etc.— the light rail is so much slower and doesn't "set the stage" for other options, it basically says "this is all you're getting".

either way, the corridor desperately needs transit. i'm glad it's getting *somewhere*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,032,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
MARTA > About Marta > Planning

Clifton Corridor Details
Recommended Alternative
The alternative described below is pending approval from the MARTA Board of Directors
  • 8.8 miles of light rail double track (includes tunnels and elevated sections)
  • 10 light rail station platforms
    • Lindbergh Center (Transfer to Red or Gold Lines)
    • Cheshire Bridge
    • Sage Hill
    • CDC/Emory Point
    • Emory-Rollins
    • Emory-Clairmont
    • North Decatur
    • Suburban Plaza
    • DeKalb Medical Center
    • Avondale Station (transfer to Blue Line)
  • 3 additional optional stations for consideration
    • Piedmont (Transfer to BeltLine)
    • DeKalb Industrial
    • North Arcadia (old DeVry campus)
  • 2 Maintenance and/or storage facilities

not excited about the light rail at all. are we going to have any more HRT in the atlanta area, ever?

i'm not saying we don't need light rail at all— we do. but we need it for those "last mile connections" that would be coming off of the main tracks. this line is pretty independent of either of the HRT tracks. imagine trying to get a "last mile" light rail coming off of this line that goes through emory village, druid hills, etc.— the light rail is so much slower and doesn't "set the stage" for other options, it basically says "this is all you're getting".

either way, the corridor desperately needs transit. i'm glad it's getting *somewhere*.
True but….. light rail>>>>no rail

I thought the money from the transportation tax would fund Marta rail?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,085,095 times
I thought that it would, too.

It seems kind of silly to me. I'm no expert, but doesn't light rail require different trains than heavy rail? It seems inefficient for MARTA to have to maintain 2 different kinds of trains that are incomplatible on each other's tracks and to make people have to exit one train and get on another instead of making it like Lindbergh or 5 Points where the same train just continues on. It might be cheaper in the short-term, but long-term doesn't having 2 different types of rail mean having to have differnt kinds of engineers, different kinds of mechanics, different sets of tools, and so on?

I'm not really seeing too terribly much use for this line. The fact that it goes to Emory, I get, but the other stops don't make too much sense to me. I just can't imagine too many people saying, "Hey, let's go see a movie at the Tara! Hurry up, we only have 2 hours before the movie starts, we have to wait for the the MARTA train, get off at Lindbergh, then wait for the light rail train!" I think those people will still just drive.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,436,378 times
I agree this is a shortsighted choice.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,085,095 times
It's really irrelevant because I'm pretty convinced that there's no way the TSPLOST is going to pass.

Won't defeat of the tax effectively kill this plan?

Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 AM

840 posts, read 2,089,874 times
I'm very excited about this. I do wish that this was Heavy Rail but hey beggars cant be choosers, and right now we are begging for better transit alternatives. I do like light rail, when I had a 6 month work project in Charlotte in 2010, I had to ride the LYNX light rail almost everyday. It reminded me alot of MARTA. I'm hoping that the Clifton LR is simialr with very few grade crossings and most of it has its on ROW.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,356,158 times
So they went with the $1 billion capital expenditure that is expected to attract 5,300 new riders.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 AM

396 posts, read 602,647 times
this is grade seperated, so it's only negligibly slower than full HRT. more akin to dallas or st louis, not portland or houston. i'm just glad it's not BRT.

HRT is just too expensive. we have a nice backbone (more miles than LA!!) that goes in all four directions, that we don't use even near capacity. LRT connections to this (like toronto) will help quite a bit.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,915,624 times
Quote:
It seems inefficient for MARTA to have to maintain 2 different kinds of trains
LRT and streetcars use the same technology and infrastructure. So the Clifton Corridor would use the same technology as the downtown streetcar and BeltLine. LRT is more likely to get funds from the feds and LRT will be able to connect to both the Gold/Red Lines and Blue Lines. HRT was going to end at North DeKalb and not connect to the East-West lines. I do agree that HRT would be better, but LRT has a better chance of getting federal dollars.
Quote:
are we going to have any more HRT in the atlanta area, ever?
If Cobb and Gwinnett can approve the MARTA tax then there is a chance of extending HRT. HRT is better suited for longer distance travel than LRT.
Quote:
that we don't use even near capacity
Come ride MARTA during rush-hour. Its standing room only on all trains!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,797,183 times
I'm not saying there aren't some arguments for HRT in this corridor vs LRT.

However, lets not be too alarmist...

The LRT line is longer, while the HRT line is short. In MARTA's alternative analysis LRT really wasn't slower hardly at all given the short distance and number of stations. An HRT in this area wouldn't really be able to reach the benefits of the added potential full speed.

As far as efficiency goes... LRT is still more cost efficient in the alternative analysis. It would require new types of rail cars and facilities, but the capital and maintenance cost (per mile) are still considerably lower.

The major pitfall to this is the inability to run trains to Emory/CDC without a connection at Lindbergh. The main problem with this is it would be expensive to operate more trains on the other lines to go to Emory, especially during a time when MARTA is forced to cut back the number of trains on the tracks.

I won't take away other good arguments for HRT, but as far as speed and efficiency.. we don't have much to worry about here.

I also like that this is where LRT functions best. Over shorter distances in an area that isn't going to be a transit backbone for people travelling through to travel across town from other areas. It is either a place to live or a local destination... not so much of a thru-route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta