Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,479,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You also have to take into consideration that not everyone who rides a bus (or train) owns a car. So you can't just say each person (or family) on the bus equals one less car on the road. It's not that simple.
Hmmm....so how are these 5,300 folks who are supposed to be riding this new light-rail line getting to work currently then? Walking? Bicycling? If so, why do they need a train? They have perfectly valid forms of transportation already that don't impact traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,357,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Hmmm....so how are these 5,300 folks who are supposed to be riding this new light-rail line getting to work currently then? Walking? Bicycling? If so, why do they need a train? They have perfectly valid forms of transportation already that don't impact traffic.
People who don't have cars are basically stuck. Transit makes it possible for people to seek work, education, health care, etc. outside of the areas that are currently accessible to them by foot or bicycle. This is why there is an outcry whenever bus routes are eliminated.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,982,286 times
Quote:
Walking? Bicycling? If so, why do they need a train? They have perfectly valid forms of transportation already that don't impact traffic
Wow, your view of transit is wrong. People who choose to live close to stations can walk or ride bikes. Others can use buses that connect to the stations, while still others will drive their cars to stations.

Last edited by cqholt; 03-22-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM

32,053 posts, read 36,984,906 times
I still say light rail is ideal for this line.

It's what, maybe 3 1/2 miles from Lindbergh to Emory? If the train is only averaging 25 mph and the stops are 30 seconds each, that's still only a 10 minute trip. If you want to go on over to downtown Decatur that shouldn't take more than another 5 minutes or so.

How can you beat that? I can't imagine heavy rail getting you there any faster.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
How can you beat that? I can't imagine heavy rail getting you there any faster.
It wouldn't, MARTA trains hardly get above 40 mph except in long stretches outside of the tunnels. The trains travel at 35 mph in Midtown and Downtown. HRT would have maybe eliminated a transfer at Lindbergh, but most users would have still had to transfer.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 PM

32,053 posts, read 36,984,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It wouldn't, MARTA trains hardly get above 40 mph except in long stretches outside of the tunnels. The trains travel at 35 mph in Midtown and Downtown. HRT would have maybe eliminated a transfer at Lindbergh, but most users would have still had to transfer.
Right. And I think part of the object with lines like the Clifton Corridor is to have frequent stops with short intervals in between. They're locals, rather than express trains.

The lack of that has been one of the complaints about MARTA from the beginning. It often doesn't take you that last mile. This will go a long way toward fixing that and bring direct access to one of the most heavily developed parts of metro Atlanta.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:39 PM

725 posts, read 1,283,717 times
Couldn't Light rail vehicles be modified to run on third rail too. That way they could run on marta tracks. The only problem is finding a light rail vehicle tall enuf to work on marta platforms.

Or perhaps a hydrolics system.

I think light rail will be succesfull but it would be better if they could run direct to the airport.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Couldn't Light rail vehicles be modified to run on third rail too. That way they could run on marta tracks. The only problem is finding a light rail vehicle tall enuf to work on marta platforms.
No, different gauge of tracks. Transferring is no big deal people. Go to larger cities and everyone does has to do it. The issue people in Atlanta have is the frequency of trains. If MARTA had more transfer and a higher frequency of trains it would be no issue.
Also, I think the LRT ending in Decatur would be better than Avondale. Having Downtown Decatur as a hub would be great and bring more people to the square. I know the people of Decatur have a bad taste for rail construction, after the decades it took for the square to recover from the Decatur Station tunnel.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,357,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No, different gauge of tracks. Transferring is no big deal people. Go to larger cities and everyone does has to do it. The issue people in Atlanta have is the frequency of trains. If MARTA had more transfer and a higher frequency of trains it would be no issue.
Also, I think the LRT ending in Decatur would be better than Avondale. Having Downtown Decatur as a hub would be great and bring more people to the square. I know the people of Decatur have a bad taste for rail construction, after the decades it took for the square to recover from the Decatur Station tunnel.
It's my understanding that MARTA looked into running LRT down Clairmont, but Decatur residents shot it down.

Avondale Station is inside Decatur city limits. Frankly, I think Dekalb Industrial and the medical center area need this more, and will be better served by it than Downtown Decatur would.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,915,225 times
the reason the LRT disappointed me is that the light rail line after the north decatur station, is proposed to run up scott boulevard, in mixed traffic. having HRT would have eliminated that from the plan and would have required building a tunnel. although it's more expensive, it doesn't interrupt traffic flow and is truly independent of the street system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta