Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,369,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
WTF are you talking about? Maintenance for rail-based transit is lower than buses. Buses only last 5-10 years, while rail-based transit lasts decades. Look at MARTA, there are some cars that are original to the system.
Do some research son.

You can get about 30-35 years out of a rail car. A rail car costs between about $2.0-4.0 million each. You can get about 10 years out of a bus for between $350,000-$400,000. How much maintenance must be performed on the track? Run those numbers and get back to me.

Hell, MARTA is asking for somewhere north of $500 million from the TSPLOST on their rail maintenance alone. (I don't want to look up the exact number right now.) You have to factor that in to the long term operating costs. Spread that cost out and let me know if you think rail is cheaper to operate and maintain.

"Proper consideration of the cost of one system compared to another must include not only the burden of initial construction, but the ongoing costs of operation, as well. The operating costs of these two systems clearly demonstrate a vast difference. The GAO used three measures to evaluate operating cost, and in every case the majority of cities have lower operating costs for their BRT systems than for their light rail systems. Figure two shows that the operating costs per vehicle mile are lower for BRT systems than for light rail. The GAO’s estimate for Denver’s BRT system is that BRT costs 80.8 percent less per mile to operate than light rail"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You're still wilfully ignoring the economic development aspect of transit projects. Why is that?
Because it is part of a transportation initiative being sold to the region as a tax to help regional transit, not an initiative to spur growth along highly overpriced rail routes.

This is not a Economic Development Tax. If that is the purpose of this route, and it must be, because the transportation benefits are minuscule for such a large investment, then at least sell it to the voters as such and let them decide. Don't sell transportation fix and give them $900+ million spent for 5,300 new riders.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,187,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You're still wilfully ignoring the economic development aspect of transit projects. Why is that?
I don't think they have it unless it orchestrated and subsidized by the government.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,450,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Because it is part of a transportation initiative being sold to the region as a tax to help regional transit, not an initiative to spur growth along highly overpriced rail routes.

This is not a Economic Development Tax. If that is the purpose of this route, and it must be, because the transportation benefits are minuscule for such a large investment, then at least sell it to the voters as such and let them decide. Don't sell transportation fix and give them $900+ million spent for 5,300 new riders.
We have been paying a penny sales tax for decades in DeKalb. The Clifton Corridor is THE largest single employment center not accessable by rail or freeway in the metro. It's time to connect Emory to the rail system, period.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 PM

32,073 posts, read 37,106,500 times
Light rail is absolutely perfect for this route. The trains should basically go the speed limit for streets through this area -- 35-45 mph. The stops are less than a mile apart, so at that speed you're only looking at a minute or two between stations. The key will be keeping the headway times short.

Cheshire Bridge is an excellent location for a stop as well. I hope they will be simple platforms where passengers can easily access them. We don't need any more gargantuan MARTA style stations.

To be honest I don't get the complaints about transfers. For Pete's sake, if you're a rail fan and you want to buzz around in an urban environment, that's part of it.

This line will be utterly transformative.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:10 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,177,751 times
Light rail makes sense for this corridor. I don't understand the bashing. This is appropriate, if it ever happens that is.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
We have been paying a penny sales tax for decades in DeKalb. The Clifton Corridor is THE largest single employment center not accessable by rail or freeway in the metro. It's time to connect Emory to the rail system, period.
I'm fine if that Dekalb/Fulton MARTA sales tax goes to that project. Heck, it should go to fund the system's operation and expansion within Dekalb County. However, I am opposed to a huge chunk of the regional TSPLOST funds going to a project that has a noticeable effect on 0.0008 of the regional population.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM

23,726 posts, read 25,058,907 times
Quote:
However, I am opposed to a huge chunk of the regional TSPLOST funds going to a project that has a noticeable effect on 0.0008 of the regional population.
I am opposed to the reconstruction of 400/285, 285/85, and 285/20 but I refuse to stand in the way of helping other citizens of the metro area. Its a sales tax that everyone shares and it will help out the entire metro area. The CDC will be served by this line. What's better than helping those people that save us from diseases have a less stressful commute, maybe free time can be spent to cure AIDS?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I am opposed to the reconstruction of 400/285, 285/85, and 285/20 but I refuse to stand in the way of helping other citizens of the metro area. Its a sales tax that everyone shares and it will help out the entire metro area. The CDC will be served by this line. What's better than helping those people that save us from diseases have a less stressful commute, maybe free time can be spent to cure AIDS?
The difference is that those intersections serve hundreds of thousands of drivers a day.

I think the Clifton line will be great for those 5,300 new riders and 17,000 total riders that MARTA projects. My beef is that this project which effects 0.00088 of the region does not warrant 16% of the TSPLOST budget on top of the nearly 16% MARTA needs for deferred maintenance and station improvements.

Comment removed - DO NOT be confrontational and/or insult other members.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 03-22-2012 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,396,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Is your latest argument for the line that the workers at the CDC deserve it more than other taxpayers do to the nature of their work?
Depends what your job is. In many cases, I'd say yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta