Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM

8,495 posts, read 15,102,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Is that really why you think they've included a Cheshire Bridge station? Seriously?

There are a lot of people who live around there. Most of them probably commute by car to work, or drive to a MARTA station. A Cheshire Bridge station will give them the ability to leave the car parked and use transit. In other words, this will do PRECISELY what it is intended to do.

If they followed your logic, most of the MARTA stations probably wouldn't exist.
Yeah, I had to LOL about that too...even though the first thing I thought when I read there would be a Chesire Bridge station I thought immediately that I would use it a lot to go watch art house films that show at Tara.

Aside from that though, the Chesire Bridge area is poised to really boom once this line is in place. It's close proximity to both Central Buckhead and Midtown are huge bonuses already. The only thing I see that has held it back is access to high capacity transit since it can be a nightmare to drive to that area most times of the day as it so close to I-85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,430,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
we have a nice backbone (more miles than LA!!) that goes in all four directions.
Exactly. Be grateful for that.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,389,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, I had to LOL about that too...even though the first thing I thought when I read there would be a Chesire Bridge station I thought immediately that I would use it a lot to go watch art house films that show at Tara.

Aside from that though, the Chesire Bridge area is poised to really boom once this line is in place. It's close proximity to both Central Buckhead and Midtown are huge bonuses already. The only thing I see that has held it back is access to high capacity transit since it can be a nightmare to drive to that area most times of the day as it so close to I-85.
I'm sure some peope would use it to go to Tara. Heck, I might do it myself. I could combine a movie with dinner at any of the several restaurants that I like around there without having to get in the car. The only reason I don't spend more time in that area is because all the driving routes to get there are a hassle.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM

9,007 posts, read 14,162,721 times
So that's what I get for trying to maintain some thread of taste on this forum.

But you're right, it can be used for a lot of things, like:

* Getting a late night snack at the Waffle House
* Getting your questionable 35mm film get developed by the transexual who will develop anything at the CVS
* Returning that DVD before you incur late fees at Southern Nights
* Getting your anonymous DL game on at Cheshire Motor Inn
* Getting that brand new bong at Starship, Blue Rat, or Hookah Hook-up
* Relaxing with an after dinner cocktail at the Heretic
* Shop for baby furniture at that baby furniture store

Yes, the possibilities are endless on Cheshire Bridge Road!!!!!!!

It also has my favorite store in the entire city, Atlanta Water Gardens.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,367,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So that's what I get for trying to maintain some thread of taste on this forum.

But you're right, it can be used for a lot of things, like:

* Getting a late night snack at the Waffle House
* Getting your questionable 35mm film get developed by the transexual who will develop anything at the CVS
* Returning that DVD before you incur late fees at Southern Nights
* Getting your anonymous DL game on at Cheshire Motor Inn
* Getting that brand new bong at Starship, Blue Rat, or Hookah Hook-up
* Relaxing with an after dinner cocktail at the Heretic
* Shop for baby furniture at that baby furniture store

Yes, the possibilities are endless on Cheshire Bridge Road!!!!!!!

It also has my favorite store in the entire city, Atlanta Water Gardens.
Well that has to be good for at least like 1,000 of the 5,300 new MARTA riders this $1 billion investment is predicted to yield.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 25,043,285 times
Looking a the fact sheet, there is not much difference in time between LRT and HRT in the corridor. The cost will be $900 million, but beats the $1.3 billion for HRT.
Quote:
Well that has to be good for at least like 1,000 of the 5,300 new MARTA riders this $1 billion investment is predicted to yield.
This $1 billion investment will have a more positive impact in the area than any other alternative. The Clifton Corridor is too dense to widen the road and buses are already full. This is a huge employment center in the metro area that deserves rail transit. We can't build highways everywhere.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,367,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Looking a the fact sheet, there is not much difference in time between LRT and HRT in the corridor. The cost will be $900 million, but beats the $1.3 billion for HRT.

This $1 billion investment will have a more positive impact in the area than any other alternative. The Clifton Corridor is too dense to widen the road and buses are already full. This is a huge employment center in the metro area that deserves rail transit. We can't build highways everywhere.
The busses are already crowded? Well they run every 18-30 minutes most of the day, so that isn't surprising. Run more buses.

Very nice CNG busses cost about $350,000 each

You could buy 200 of those for $70 million. The long term maintenance and operating costs would be a fraction of that of the rail system, but again, saving $800,000,000+ while offering a legitimate, cost effective solution. However, this lacks the coolness factor so people would rather just spend the extra $800,000,000 on this project when it could be spread around to efficiently manage the region's transit needs.

Hell, the $1 billion investment is expected to get 5,300 new MARTA riders. How can you possibly think that makes sense to spend nearly $200,000 in capital costs per new rider?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:10 PM

23,726 posts, read 25,043,285 times
Quote:
The long term maintenance and operating costs would be a fraction of that of the rail system
WTF are you talking about? Maintenance for rail-based transit is lower than buses. Buses only last 5-10 years, while rail-based transit lasts decades. Look at MARTA, there are some cars that are original to the system.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 PM

725 posts, read 1,285,684 times
Light rail vehicles can run on HRT tracks. All american transit systems except for BART run on standard gauge.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,389,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
The busses are already crowded? Well they run every 18-30 minutes most of the day, so that isn't surprising. Run more buses.

Very nice CNG busses cost about $350,000 each

You could buy 200 of those for $70 million. The long term maintenance and operating costs would be a fraction of that of the rail system, but again, saving $800,000,000+ while offering a legitimate, cost effective solution. However, this lacks the coolness factor so people would rather just spend the extra $800,000,000 on this project when it could be spread around to efficiently manage the region's transit needs.

Hell, the $1 billion investment is expected to get 5,300 new MARTA riders. How can you possibly think that makes sense to spend nearly $200,000 in capital costs per new rider?
You're still wilfully ignoring the economic development aspect of transit projects. Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta