Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:18 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,874,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
A group of Georgia senators says anyone getting welfare should have to “engage in personal growth activities” and they have introduced legislation to make it a law, reports Morris News Service.
Sen.
This reminds me of that state legislator who introduced the bill to require welfare recipients to be drug tested, and then got busted for DUI coming out of Hal's.

New details on legislator's DUI arrest *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-government/new-details-on-legislators-1309821.html - broken link)

Clearly there are some people who genuinely need food stamps and it's silly to require them to take personal growth classes.

On the other hand, if you've got an able-bodied man drawing foods stamps maybe he does need some guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,349 times
For those of you that think these programs would make the elderly, sick and or insane attend what is mentioned, "Get a clue"! This program is targeting those that want to improve their lives. For those that don't want to improve their lives shouldn't be entitled to anything. Again, we're not talking about those that are not capable of participating! Stop being ignorant and grow up!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,349 times
How can anybody think that's okay to put their hands out and not repay it in one manner or another? I don't work to support those that don't want to help themselves. Folks that are receiving aid should repay it even if it means mandatory city clean-up. I was in the USMC for 21 years and cleaned toilets, swept floors and cleaned up trash. Why is this good enough for Federal employees but not good enough for those that are freeloading? For those that are confused or upset, I'm not talking about the sick, elderly and or insane. Grow up people and stop expecting handouts. Give back what is given to you. Morality is lacking in this country from "Both" the Rich and the Poor. It makes me sick to my stomach that there is so much freeloading, folks taking advantage of other folks... God Bless Us All!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,030 times
Wow. I can understand if a tax payer feels some type of way but I'm sure there are ways of giving back that dont involve picking up trash. Thats called community service and is essentially a punishment for someone who has broken the law. The last time I checked being LOW INCOME ( not poor) wasnt against the law. I'm in case you havent guessed a welfare recipient and It isnt that I don't want a job ,I just havent found one YET. As soon as I do I'll be a tax payer too but what I wont do is look down on others because those who are working now are very fortunate. But they are also a step away from the unemployment line just like everyone else.Remember that.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:29 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,874,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstracie View Post
Wow. I can understand if a tax payer feels some type of way but I'm sure there are ways of giving back that dont involve picking up trash. Thats called community service and is essentially a punishment for someone who has broken the law. The last time I checked being LOW INCOME ( not poor) wasnt against the law. I'm in case you havent guessed a welfare recipient and It isnt that I don't want a job ,I just havent found one YET. As soon as I do I'll be a tax payer too but what I wont do is look down on others because those who are working now are very fortunate. But they are also a step away from the unemployment line just like everyone else.Remember that.
Community service shouldn't be viewed as punishment. It's giving back to your community.

While being poor is certainly not a crime, I don't see the problem with asking an able-bodied person who is living on public funds and isn't working to pitch in and help out a little.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,216,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstracie View Post
The last time I checked being LOW INCOME ( not poor) wasnt against the law.
Nope, it's not. You have the right to be poor or low income and it's not a crime. If you don't take money from taxpayers, then none of this applies.

What I think has to be considered, and I think some on this thread forget or ignore, is that when you put out your hand and ask for other people to give you money, you have a responsibility to use that money wisely and there may be strings attached. Again, if you don't like the strings, don't take the cash.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,891,858 times
are they planning to pay for these "enrichment activities"? are they also willing to explain the 12 hour shift worker's absence to their boss for these "enrichment activities"?

more castigation of the poor, more judgmental BS.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,002,318 times
I would hope if this is approved they would consider personal development activities for our elected officials so when they go to washington they would better represent our interest.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM

714 posts, read 815,193 times
The govt should not be in the business of proving safety nets. Period.

I know all you boohoo ers out there believe in "govt as caretaker", and that it's main purpose is coddling citizens and redistributing wealth as it sees fit. What hogwash.

All welfare type programs do is create generations of govt teat suckers who are slaves to federal largesse. What seems kind is actually terribly cruel.

The system thst made this country great is about equal opportunity, not equal outcome. The greater the safety net, the more lives are spent in mere survival mode. A terrible way of existence.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,582,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
A group of Georgia senators says anyone getting welfare should have to “engage in personal growth activities” and they have introduced legislation to make it a law, reports Morris News Service.
Sen. William Ligon, (R-Brunswick), introduced Senate Bill 312 along with Sens. Buddy Carter (R-Pooler), John Albers (R-Roswell) and Senate President Pro Tempore Tommie Williams (R-Lyons), the news service reported.
The law, if approved, would apply to anyone getting food stamps or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families. Both programs are federally funded and administered by the state.
Welfare recipients would have to participate in activities that include working toward a diploma or technical education, learning to read, or “attending self-development classes.”
“We’re trying to equip them to obtain better-paying jobs,” Ligon said, Morris reported.
This is a WIN WIN for a city like Atlanta, will we get to vote on the approval or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta