Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times

Advertisements

I was super excited when they built Atlantic Station. It didn't quite live up to my expectations, but I'm still really satisfied with what they did. Anything is better than an old mill, or whatever it was, right?

Anyway, I like Atlantic Station. I like walking around, I even go to movies there on occasion.

It seems like everybody I talk to, though, says it has gone "ghetto." I'm wondering what this means. I've never really seen any issues there, but I'll admit that I only go occasionally.

At first I thought it may be just because black people started visiting there, because some people will say ghetto when they really just mean black. But one of my black friends who was renting there got so frustrated with it, he moved out and said he couldn't move out fast enough. He's a pretty tough guy, too, so a bunch of 17 year olds with droopy pants aren't exactly going to faze him. He's probably about 230 lbs. of wall to wall muscle.

So what's the deal with Atlantic Station? I hear weekend nights are notorious for it being completely annoying, but I have never seen any kind of real issue there. I want to know the real scoop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Here we go again

Old 11-29-2011, 09:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Sorry, I don't mean to be obnoxious if this has been addressed before. A search for Atlantic Station yields 422 results.

So could someone just humor me and give me the highlights on why everyone seems to hate Atlantic Station, or point me to a thread that discusses it?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 PM

562 posts, read 1,790,419 times
There is a very long thread on this in the archives. Short Story though- it was a combo of things- the high crime- twelve had a lot of speculators that lost money and there started to be a lot of foreclosures and renting to anyone leading to a lot of problems there (esp reports of prostitution). There were many cars broken into, including one getting stolen. There was also a shooting at the AS Lofts. There were several stores/restaurants there that attracted a certain crowd that wasnt the most family friendly towards the night time hours, and a lot these stores also owed a lot of backrent (leading to problems with finances for AS including reduction of services). Finally you add all that up with the annoying 17 year olds "just hanging out" and a lot people stopped visiting. If you dont know a new company from California just bought atlantic Station out, kicked those stores out, added more security, etc and are promising a turn around (which slowly seems to be happening).

Last edited by ecuresident; 11-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
so...they built a high-rise, mixed use complex adjacent to a low-income area of town with easy access to those low-rent areas and the crime went up? Then some of these same folks with two escalades they couldn't afford bought a condo that couldn't afford on an interest only mortgage and then went belly up when the libor bounced a 1/4 of a point?

No way! Who would have seen that coming? Go figure....wow, I'm shocked. I just can't believe a project like this built in an adjacent project like that, didn't make it......I just can't believe it....it must be someone's fault other than theirs...I know, let's file a lawsuit!

Maybe they should build the next one in the West End.....I'm sure they will have similar luck......

I knew that thing was doomed 1 year after it opened...I went down to try the local haunts...people driving around, watching TV in the sports bar and buying nothing all day....I sat there for 5 hours....bought food, drank 4 beers and watched the other 12 patrons buy one beer and order water.......game over....there was more going on outside...people driving around showing off their leased SUV's......deep pockets, short arm syndrome......mo money mo money was really no money no money.....

Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,352 times
There is nothing wrong with it. I don't see anything ghetto over there anytime I go and LOOK for ghetto stuff just because of the forum. I ask my girlfriend where all the thugs at when go and reference this site. The worst I see is some young black kids going to the movies but none of them look rowdy and scary unless you are just scared of a few black people, even in a diverse shopping area like that.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
There is nothing wrong with it. I don't see anything ghetto over there anytime I go and LOOK for ghetto stuff just because of the forum. I ask my girlfriend where all the thugs at when go and reference this site. The worst I see is some young black kids going to the movies but none of them look rowdy and scary unless you are just scared of a few black people, even in a diverse shopping area like that.
Think most of those places closed

Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
I don't know - baffled as well. We always go to AS for the movies and are often at IKEA and it always seems fine. We're out there every couple months and have been doing so since about a year after they opened.

The crimes listed by @ecuresident don't seem especially heinous OR even out of scale for any urban area. Heck, scary Candler Par that can't get all it's streets on Google Maps because of all those criminal joggers has rashes of car break-ins. Once, someone was shot and killed outside the Yacht Club.

OK, so that was a bit irreverent, but you get the picture...

Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,998 times
I was at Atlantic Station this Saturday(from 7pm-11pm) with my wife and 5 yr old daughter-we did not have any issues. My daughter rode on the Santa train, we enjoyed the free live musicians playing in the square, took some pics with Santa at the Christmas tree, walked around and window shopped etc. There was a mixture of people, old, young, White, Black etc. We had a good time.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I was super excited when they built Atlantic Station. It didn't quite live up to my expectations, but I'm still really satisfied with what they did. Anything is better than an old mill, or whatever it was, right?

Anyway, I like Atlantic Station. I like walking around, I even go to movies there on occasion.

It seems like everybody I talk to, though, says it has gone "ghetto." I'm wondering what this means. I've never really seen any issues there, but I'll admit that I only go occasionally.

At first I thought it may be just because black people started visiting there, because some people will say ghetto when they really just mean black. But one of my black friends who was renting there got so frustrated with it, he moved out and said he couldn't move out fast enough. He's a pretty tough guy, too, so a bunch of 17 year olds with droopy pants aren't exactly going to faze him. He's probably about 230 lbs. of wall to wall muscle.

So what's the deal with Atlantic Station? I hear weekend nights are notorious for it being completely annoying, but I have never seen any kind of real issue there. I want to know the real scoop.
So if the annoying teenagers didn't bother him, what exactly was it that he was so frustrated with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta