Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Holy crap this is awesome!

Atlantic Station to host Atlanta Tennis Championships | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Not sure how the logistics will work out here, but this is a HUGE get for Atlantic Station. This is one of the pro events on the men's tour during the lead-up to the US Open.

I agree, but if they can pull if off, I see this tournament having a permanent location.

Also, let's hope it's not a scorcher that day like it was last summer, I watched a few minutes when Isner played and the poor folks in the crowd looked like they were about to pass out. If the tournament is packed and the crowd looks interested (b/c on television it didn't look like it, b/c of the heat, I know) and everything goes relatively smoothly this could shape up into becoming one of the major non-Grand Slam tournaments on the circuit and attract bigger names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 PM

396 posts, read 601,653 times
swweeet! i'm definitely going to this. looks like our glorified suburban mall lifestyle center got a tennis tournament!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:26 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Can somebody explain to me why there is a tennis tournament in Atlanta in July? That sounds like a terrible idea.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Can somebody explain to me why there is a tennis tournament in Atlanta in July? That sounds like a terrible idea.
It's a long story, but Atlanta recently bought back the rights for a lead-up pro tournament before the US Open. The US Open is one of the four "grand slams" in tennis (alongside the French, Wimbledon, and Aussie Open), and it's always scheduled circa Labor Day. That means that all the warm-up tournaments have to occur in the months after Wimbledon (circa July 4th) but before Labor Day. Since Indianapolis had a struggling tournament, and Atlanta used to have a tourney way back when (and has a HUGE tennis community), Atlanta bought back the rights from Indianapolis to have the warm-up here.

Because it's so early and relatively small, most of the European heavy hitters (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic) don't tend to go to this tournament. But the top Americans usually do, as do some other big names who need to build up their ranking before the US Open.

I'm psyched b/c I will be able to WALK from my place to an international tennis tournament now. So cool!

ETA: More here. http://m.atpworldtour.com/News/Tenni...c-Station.aspx

Sounds like it may be a multi-year deal . . .

Last edited by K-SawDude; 12-20-2011 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Outside Tennis in July...have fun with that.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:16 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
I hope this works. I like anything that brings some excitement to the city

Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
how does one decide what is a power center and what is a lifestyle center? how do you know if it's a big box center with lifestyle center features?

I think if a center is mostly big box centers and discount giants then it's a big box center.

There has to be a fashion orientated aspect to be a lifestyle center and I think the ICSC said at least 50,000 sq. ft. of smaller shops in a center to be considered a lifestyle center.

For example, a proposed center in my area includes:

Lowe's
Macy's
Larkspur Hotel
6 restaruants
9 speciality stores (Lane Bryant, LOFT, and Pier 1 Imports)
and 4-5 big box stores

6 restaurants and 9 speciality stores does not entitle the center to be a lifestyle center. Macy's makes me think, but it's still mostly big box stores and has Lowe's.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
@OP: I like Atlantic Station a lot and it's very convenient for me as it's just across the highway. I think it has a great variety of places to shop at, good places to eat (I probably get yozen frogurt from Yogli Mogli like 3 times a week at least), and lots of people walking around all the time. The fact that they give 2 hour free parking or something like that is great too. I've gone to the movies twice since I moved here and the theaters and the employees have been nothing but great.

I was also surprised at how clean they kept it. Not much trash out in the "streets" at all. I think some people may see it as ghetto because if you go further west outside of Atlantic Station, it kinda is a pretty grungy place. But as far as Atlantic Station being ghetto, I don't understand that one at all.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
I was also surprised at how clean they kept it. Not much trash out in the "streets" at all. I think some people may see it as ghetto because if you go further west outside of Atlantic Station, it kinda is a pretty grungy place. But as far as Atlantic Station being ghetto, I don't understand that one at all.
They hosted the BBT Open. All the players commented how nice and convenient the location was. Atlantic Station is not ghetto in 1 bit. Those that think that way say it because they are scared to venture into Atlanta and think the city is 1 big ghetto.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
We discussed this in a separate thread - but the perceptions of Atlantic Station as "ghetto" are not based on the actual structures but the clientelle who frequents it. Perceptions being the key word.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...anta-vs-4.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta