Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,085,542 times

Advertisements

But a long way to go to what? Also, the entire country did not experience famine or drought just certain area. This is what many Americans don't understand. It is like thinking what happended in New Orleans with Hurricane Katrina was the entire US. Many US companies are already in Ethiopia and they are an ally to the US as they help with Somali border and Middle East issues.

Don't think you are being critical as you are entitled to your opinion.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 PM

10,742 posts, read 13,437,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
But a long way to go to what? Also, the entire country did not experience famine or drought just certain area. This is what many Americans don't understand. It is like thinking what happended in New Orleans with Hurricane Katrina was the entire US. Many US companies are already in Ethiopia and they are an ally to the US as they help with Somali border and Middle East issues.
I think it has a long way to go to get it's people out of poverty and to have universal political representation. Sorta like here 200 years ago.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:59 PM

AnsleyPark, you and I might have an entirely different definition of poverty. Many people there don't have a lot compared to our standards but doesn't mean they are poor or in poverished (some have more and or the same as we do). The people that live the simpliest are not poor to me at all.

What do you mean by universal political representation?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:03 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,914,571 times
Quote:

Don't think you are being critical as you are entitled to your opinion.
A long way to go to raise life expectancy for the country beyond 56.1 years. To raise the mean years of education for the country to more than 1.5 years. Things like that.

You understand the U.N. data is a country profile, right, not just for a segment of the population?

And I haven't expressed any opinion about Ethiopia other than admiration and hope for its continued development.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 PM

arjay57, although I may disagree with you I am not making any personal attacks. So I respect where you are coming from just don't agree with you as you may not agree with me. It's ok, I'm gald we can agree to disagree politely since there have been other airheads on this thread.

First, in this country life expectancy for blacks is VERY low. Secondly, I thought I explained my position on life expectancy in that country so I won't go over it again. Only to say I know many 80-90+ year olds in Ethiopia and I see that as the norm.So I disagree with what you are referencing. What people read verses what is actually known is a huge problem when discussing any country in Africa.

The people of Ethiopia are VERY educated and usually are fluent in multiple languages (which I can't say the same for people here). People can go to school there for free up to 9th or 10th grade. Don't believe education to be an Ethiopian problem at all.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:22 PM

199 posts, read 179,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How representative are the areas you show of the entire country? What percentage of Ethiopians are urban, suburban, and rural? How do the living conditions, available services, and other things compare between someone living in a large metro (as you show) and someone living on a farm a long distance away? Can I expect running water, power, and internet access in the entire country? How are the transportation networks?

Making life easy in a few cities is vastly easier than developing the entire country. What is life like in Ethiopia as a whole?

85 million people, roughly, and yet when I see stuff like this:

Ethiopia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder. The portion of that article I linked to doesn't paint a very positive picture.

Yeah, but why only focus on the bad stuff?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 PM

99 posts, read 327,941 times
I want to thank you bayareagirl for your pictures of the vast and diverse continent of Africa. Your pictures are needed to break down Western ignorance regarding the continent where humanity began.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Your welcome and thank you for noticing.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:40 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,914,571 times
Quote:
arjay57, although I may disagree with you I am not making any personal attacks. So I respect where you are coming from just don't agree with you as you may not agree with me. It's ok, I'm gald we can agree to disagree politely since there have been other airheads on this thread.

First, in this country life expectancy for blacks is VERY low. Secondly, I thought I explained my position on life expectancy in that country so I won't go over it again. Only to say I know many 80-90+ year olds in Ethiopia and I see that as the norm.So I disagree with what you are referencing. What people read verses what is actually known is a huge problem when discussing any country in Africa.

The people of Ethiopia are VERY educated and usually are fluent in multiple languages (which I can't say the same for people here). People can go to school there for free up to 9th or 10th grade. Don't believe education to be an Ethiopian problem at all.
bayarea-girl, I'm willing to accept the United Nations data. It comes from a very wide array of internationally recognized sources. Many of these sources are from people who are actually in the field on a regular basis over many years. The U.N. has never been known for skewing its data in a negative way toward developing member nations. To the contrary, the U.N. is known as one of the most progressive organizations that has ever existed.

Now, do these statistics measure everything that is happening in a country? Of course not. But I believe they provide a pretty solid factual measure of certain factors that most of us consider important in assessing human development.

It's possible you're right that they have wildly misstated the mean level of education in Ethiopia. However, with all due respect I'm leaning toward the U.N. data over one person's anecdotal impressions.

(You can see the list of sources here: Indices & Data | Understanding the Data | Sources of Data Used | Human Development Reports (HDR) | United Nations Development Programme (UNDP))

Old 07-01-2011, 07:48 PM

You can list whatever you want and that is fine and you don't have to take my word for it. Especially since I've actually lived there and my husband was raised there (he is 100% Ethiopian). One of my grandparents was also Ethiopian. But you don't have to take my word for it. The same sources you list have their own agenda. If you go to any Ethiopian forum you'll see the jokes they make about such data. But please don't take my word for it especially since most of the data would make you think that everyone in Ethiopia and or Africa for that matter lives in dirt mud huts and are starving and or have AIDS. But don't take my word for it.

Did it ever cross your mind how I was able to come up with the images I posted?

No matter what you post or you think, Ethiopia and other countries in Africa are growing and they aren't at all what you think they are like. The world needs Africa and it has no where else to go but up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta