Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia19 View Post
For those that live in Henry County in general do you feel like the areas Stockbridge et al are worsening or will continue to improve? Does anyone have any information on Hampton or Locust Grove?

Thank you...
Henry county and especially Stockbridge is well on its way to becoming the next Clayton county! If you like Clayton then you will have NO problem with Henry. If Clayton scares the hell out of you then watch out. I grew up in Clayton, fled to Henry and now live on the Northside. A lifetime of experiences in Clayton and Henry tell me its a lost cause. Just one mans opinion though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 PM

5 posts, read 16,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia19 View Post
For those that live in Henry County in general do you feel like the areas Stockbridge et al are worsening or will continue to improve? Does anyone have any information on Hampton or Locust Grove?

Thank you...
I live in Stockbridge- have had a house there for 12 years. I'll be quite blunt- I HATE the area.
Now just to give some background- I'm an African-American mom of 2 teenaged kids. I actually had moved to Duluth area for a while, but had to take possession of the house back from my now ex-husband about 5 yrs ago (another sordid tale) and have been *stuck* there ever since. My neighborhood, which started out as a very ecclectic neighborhood (alot of new families, young and old, mix of races) has gone very much so downhill. Several section 8 houses in the neighborhood, several foreclosures, and I know for a fact that there have been at least 3 convicted sex offenders living there at one point or another, based on the offender data base info (even though we're within walking distance from an elementary school- go figure). My house was broken into for the first (and hopefully only) time last month- one of a string in the surrounding neighborhoods. My daughter was jumped in our own front yard by a group of girls claiming to be in a gang - one of a couple of gangs starting around the area between Stockbridge and Ellenwood. My daughter goes to a local teenage club in McDonough sometimes, and I've had to stop letting her go because everytime I pick her up, there has been a fight at the club. Needless to say, I've had enough. I don't plan on sticking around to watch the area deteriorate further- luckily my current hubby has a VA loan available to him so our plan is to make use of that and move to the North side of Atlanta- looking into areas now.
Don't get me wrong- I don't feel that the area has declined in such a way that I have to look over my shoulder getting into my car, and I feel safe enough to go shopping @ 2 am. Nonetheless, I can see things headed to where I may not feel safe to do those things, so I plan on getting out now.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 23,471 times
Check out Eagles Landing.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyisis View Post
I live in Stockbridge- have had a house there for 12 years. I'll be quite blunt- I HATE the area.
Now just to give some background- I'm an African-American mom of 2 teenaged kids. I actually had moved to Duluth area for a while, but had to take possession of the house back from my now ex-husband about 5 yrs ago (another sordid tale) and have been *stuck* there ever since. My neighborhood, which started out as a very ecclectic neighborhood (alot of new families, young and old, mix of races) has gone very much so downhill. Several section 8 houses in the neighborhood, several foreclosures, and I know for a fact that there have been at least 3 convicted sex offenders living there at one point or another, based on the offender data base info (even though we're within walking distance from an elementary school- go figure). My house was broken into for the first (and hopefully only) time last month- one of a string in the surrounding neighborhoods. My daughter was jumped in our own front yard by a group of girls claiming to be in a gang - one of a couple of gangs starting around the area between Stockbridge and Ellenwood. My daughter goes to a local teenage club in McDonough sometimes, and I've had to stop letting her go because everytime I pick her up, there has been a fight at the club. Needless to say, I've had enough. I don't plan on sticking around to watch the area deteriorate further- luckily my current hubby has a VA loan available to him so our plan is to make use of that and move to the North side of Atlanta- looking into areas now.
Don't get me wrong- I don't feel that the area has declined in such a way that I have to look over my shoulder getting into my car, and I feel safe enough to go shopping @ 2 am. Nonetheless, I can see things headed to where I may not feel safe to do those things, so I plan on getting out now.
This is more proof of the "Claytonfication" of Henry county!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,659 times
I lived in Stockbrige at the apartment complex Villa of Hannover, loved it there, I moved back to chicago in 2008, but will be returning the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011. you will love it there.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
Look guys let me just get it straight with you. here is my list of nearby counties and their characteristics.

Clayton County: A lot of African Americans (60% or More), some Whites, a lot of Hispanics (20%) and the crime is horrible, Clayton County Public Schools also has low test scores, and horrible schools.

Henry County: A mixture of both African Americans (45%) and Whites (45%) and some Hispanics (5%) and some Asians (10%) the crime is okay although the northern areas are starting to get out of control (possibly because they are near Clayton). Schools are alright but they could be better, okay test scores.

Fayette County: A lot of Whites (80%) and some African Americans (15%), some Hispanics (3%-) and some Asians (5%), there is never any crime in Fayette County because its so nice, if you are looking for nice shopping cities but very low crime try looking in Fayetteville and Peachtree City. Schools are great, top 5 in Georgia and some of the highest in the country.

These are the local counties, you can try other counties in the north like Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnet, or Cobb.

Or other counties in the south like Spalding, Upson, Bibb, Peach, or Houston.

Hope this helps!!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 AM

567 posts, read 890,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmcge12 View Post
Look guys let me just get it straight with you. here is my list of nearby counties and their characteristics.

Clayton County: A lot of African Americans (60% or More), some Whites, a lot of Hispanics (20%) and the crime is horrible, Clayton County Public Schools also has low test scores, and horrible schools.

Henry County: A mixture of both African Americans (45%) and Whites (45%) and some Hispanics (5%) and some Asians (10%) the crime is okay although the northern areas are starting to get out of control (possibly because they are near Clayton). Schools are alright but they could be better, okay test scores.

Fayette County: A lot of Whites (80%) and some African Americans (15%), some Hispanics (3%-) and some Asians (5%), there is never any crime in Fayette County because its so nice, if you are looking for nice shopping cities but very low crime try looking in Fayetteville and Peachtree City. Schools are great, top 5 in Georgia and some of the highest in the country.

These are the local counties, you can try other counties in the north like Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnet, or Cobb.

Hope this helps!!
The Clayton area really does not have as much crime as the media makes it out to have. The interesting thing, however, is that there have been several times that cases that have been attributed as Clayton County crimes actually occurred in neighboring Henry and Fulton county.. smh STOP THE MADNESS

Old 03-19-2014, 05:06 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmcge12 View Post

Hope this helps!!
Funny that you didn't mention Asians in Clayton. And do you have any proof of bad test scores in Clayton. What does that even have to do with the schools. A bad student is going to do regardless of what county they're in. Also funny that you didn't mention that one of the best schools in Georgia is in Clayton.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 996 times
I have lived in Hampton for 13.5 years and nearby Jonesboro area, only 5 miles away, for 8 years. I am on the Clayton County side on the borderline of Fayetteville near the Atlanta Mitir Speedway. Our home was broken into 3 years ago. Up to then (21+ years) there were no criminal issues. Peaceful and nice area. We still love the area, but are headed to Stockbridge-Conyers/Lithonia area. Every city or town has good and bad sections. Stockbridge has some very upscale and middle and leer scale areas just like every where else. We do hear of meth labs, gang activity, and human trafficking on the north side of Atlanta as well. Just prayerfully consider the area that might be best for your family and expect the best!

Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 AM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Wow this thread is ancient. A lot has changed in that area since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta