Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 29,148 times

Advertisements

FONT="Century Gothic"][/font][/font]

I am hoping to get some feedback from you on these questions I have. My sister and I are moving our families (husbands and three children, 5, 6, and 15) to Georgia, specifically to these areas (275 North) of Stockbridge and McDonough this summer. We have always lived in Massachusetts and are tired of the high cost of living and real estate and weather (cold!!!!) and believe our children (and us) would enjoy having a house with a yard and a dog and the whole bit.... However, we feel safe and secure in our surroundings here where everything is sort of close together and since we have been here forever we know many places and people, not to mention the school system. My oldest daughter was in the same school from K-8 and now my youngest is going there also. So, needless to say we are a bit nervous about the move. We are hispanics so we are also concerned about racism... any feedback would be appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Mom with two kids:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 03:28 PM

88 posts, read 491,339 times
Hi,

I am a mother of two moving to GA this summer as well with my husband. I am not an expert, but there are so many people on this forum willing to help and some excellent information that the move will be a bit easier. Good luck with your move!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 AM

75 posts, read 324,679 times
I think you are picking a great area to move to. Stockbridge/Mcdonough is a fast growing area. There are good schools in that area. I am from Massachusetts too and I moved here about 16 years ago. I love it, what part of Mass are you from? In the McDonough Stockbridge area you definetly get more yard space. I don't think you will have to deal with racism at all.
I wish you a happy and successful move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA.MOM2K15&6 View Post

I am hoping to get some feedback from you on these questions I have. My sister and I are moving our families (husbands and three children, 5, 6, and 15) to Georgia, specifically to these areas (275 North) of Stockbridge and McDonough this summer. We have always lived in Massachusetts and are tired of the high cost of living and real estate and weather (cold!!!!) and believe our children (and us) would enjoy having a house with a yard and a dog and the whole bit.... However, we feel safe and secure in our surroundings here where everything is sort of close together and since we have been here forever we know many places and people, not to mention the school system. My oldest daughter was in the same school from K-8 and now my youngest is going there also. So, needless to say we are a bit nervous about the move. We are hispanics so we are also concerned about racism... any feedback would be appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Mom with two kids:

Old 03-01-2007, 01:53 PM

45 posts, read 164,989 times
I've been living in the Stockbridge/Mcdonough area since July. No complaints..it's pretty diverse. My kids adjusted(18 &13) nicely. I really feel safe here with the little walking the kids can do by themselves. I had to get used to driving a little bit of a distance for things that were normally closer to me. Much better traffic to get into Atl on this end. Lots of new construction, good prices and decent schools. I was concerned about racism too coming from up north. The population seems to fairly young with families. You'll fit in fine. Leave the snow... get ready for the heat. No compliants overall. Hope it helps!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:31 AM

6 posts, read 29,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
I've been living in the Stockbridge/Mcdonough area since July. No complaints..it's pretty diverse. My kids adjusted(18 &13) nicely. I really feel safe here with the little walking the kids can do by themselves. I had to get used to driving a little bit of a distance for things that were normally closer to me. Much better traffic to get into Atl on this end. Lots of new construction, good prices and decent schools. I was concerned about racism too coming from up north. The population seems to fairly young with families. You'll fit in fine. Leave the snow... get ready for the heat. No compliants overall. Hope it helps!

Niko, thank you for taking the time to reply to my posting, you and avalugg have given a boost to my assertion that moving to Georgia is indeed a good move for our family. Thanks again.... MA.MOMW2K15&6.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:31 AM

6 posts, read 34,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA.MOM2K15&6 View Post

I have two homes in McDonough and I was also worried about getting stuck in a subdivision where racism would be an issue. We are in a good school district (Union Grove) where I haven't had any issues. We are selling our other home which is in the same subdivision as the one we live in because we bought it for our son to move into but he got a promotion and a raise so he was obligated to stay in Florida. Moderator cut: Removed It's always nice to hear that there are others with the same concerns as myself. Good luck in your endeavors. Welcome to Georgia.

Last edited by xxman777; 06-30-2007 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 06-30-2007, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 16,962 times
Butts, Lamar or Pike counties are much nicer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: