Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 03:00 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,004,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Regarding abominations, what I can't figure is why there isn't more outrage about the eating of bacon, pork chops, BBQ and ham sandwiches. All of these are complete abominations in the eye of the Lord yet there are far more bacon and BBQ eaters than there are gay people. What makes people even want to eat abominable things like that?
where does the bible say its an abomination for christians to eat pork? nowhere! pay attention to what your reading and how it was written and who it was written to! christians are never told not to eat pork!jews where. but not christians!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM

32,035 posts, read 36,882,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
where does the bible say its an abomination for christians to eat pork? nowhere! pay attention to what your reading and how it was written and who it was written to! christians are never told not to eat pork!jews where. but not christians!
Uh, oh, hold the phone. Since when did Christians get a pass on the Old Testament? Does that include things like the Ten Commandments, Adam and Eve and the story of creation and the 23rd Psalm, or just the parts that modern Christians find inconvenient and old-fashioned?

Is the Bible the literal word of God, or do they get to interpret it and decide which parts apply to them?

And if they're sticking with the New Testament only, how do they handle what it says about slavery:
Quote:
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.
Colossians 3:22
All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered.
1 Timothy 6:1
Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them.
Titus 2:9
Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.
1 Peter 2:18
Or marriage -- don't do it unless you just can't control your passions:
Quote:
It is good for a man not to marry. ....Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
1 Corinthians 7
Or getting rich:
Quote:
I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
Matthew 19:23-24, Mark 10:24-25 and Luke 18:24-2
Which parts of the Bible apply to Christians, and which parts do they get to "interpret" away or only apply to others?

Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM

the hebrew writer tells us that thing that the old testament is for our learning new testament is for our living. its not about picking and choosing the part of the bible you believe its about reading into the who what when where and how of the text.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Okay, for the sake of discussion let's agree that the Old Testament doesn't apply to Christians. None of that stuff about the 10 Commandments, Adam and Eve, God creating the world, Noah and the Ark, David and Goliath, the Promised Land, the 23rd Psalm, etc., etc. It's not anyting they're actually supposed to follow, it's simply for informational purposes only.

So how do Christians feel about the New Testament? Such as the admonition for slaves to obey their masters and really put their hearts into it, even when the master is harsh? Or to avoid marriage? Or the fact that if they're rich they don't stand a chance of getting into heaven? Do they embrace these teachings, or just sort of say, "Well, that part really doesn't mean what it says" or "That part only applies to other people"?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Okay, for the sake of discussion let's agree that the Old Testament doesn't apply to Christians. None of that stuff about the 10 Commandments, Adam and Eve, God creating the world, Noah and the Ark, David and Goliath, the Promised Land, the 23rd Psalm, etc., etc. It's not anyting they're actually supposed to follow, it's simply for informational purposes only.

So how do Christians feel about the New Testament? Such as the admonition for slaves to obey their masters and really put their hearts into it, even when the master is harsh? Or to avoid marriage? Or the fact that if they're rich they don't stand a chance of getting into heaven? Do they embrace these teachings, or just sort of say, "Well, that part really doesn't mean what it says" or "That part only applies to other people"?
where does it tell christians to avoid marriage? the word permits marriage if the person chooses. i totally missed the scripture that teaches that.

The bible teaches slaves to obey their masters but who are the slaves and the masters? i would like to know. nothing in the word condones the mistreatment of black people that our country is known for back in the slavery days!

The bible tells us that its easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to heaven. the love of money is the root of all evil. when we desire riches that opens the door to many temptations such as idolatry.

We have to consider what we are reading.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM

276 posts, read 1,020,082 times
I is not about the "boys", it is about this pastor passing himself off as a married, heterosexual male to the people of his church, then going behind them sticking it to BOYS/MEN!

Come on now! These young men stepping up may save other young, unsuspecting males from this low life con man who calls himself a Bishop!

One of the boys neighbors said he knows and saw the good bishop going into the boys home and staying for hours! What pastor does that with a young man???

The man preyed upon these young men and offered them material things that turn young boys heads and they were weak enough to go for it!

This poor excuse for a man is one sick puppy, and he needs to be gone!

It is about him, not the young men!

The black church needs to WAKE UP!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
where does it tell Christians to avoid marriage? the word permits marriage if the person chooses. i totally missed the scripture that teaches that.
Did you read the quote above from 1 Corinthians 7? "It is good for a man not to marry. ....Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

Quote:
The bible teaches slaves to obey their masters but who are the slaves and the masters? i would like to know. nothing in the word condones the mistreatment of black people that our country is known for back in the slavery days!
The Bible has been used for centuries to justify the enslavement of blacks by whites. As Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy put it, "[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts."

The Bible's support of slavery was a common justification for keeping blacks in a subservient position well into the middle of the 20th Century. It has also been used to justify the subordination of women, and these days it's used by Christians in countries such as Uganda to call for the death of gay people.

Quote:
The bible tells us that its easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to heaven. the love of money is the root of all evil. when we desire riches that opens the door to many temptations such as idolatry.
I guess the Bentley-driving preachers were absent the day they covered that in seminary.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,313,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
Sad that a guy can't get a perm, wear tight t-shirts, and surround himself exclusively with men without people thinking he is gay.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:26 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,189,765 times
Quote:
Did you read the quote above from 1 Corinthians 7? "It is good for a man not to marry. ....Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

The Bible has been used for centuries to justify the enslavement of blacks by whites. As Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy put it, "[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts."

The Bible's support of slavery was a common justification for keeping blacks in a subservient position well into the middle of the 20th Century. It has also been used to justify the subordination of women, and these days it's used by Christians in countries such as Uganda to call for the death of gay people.

You do realize that you are guilty of the exact thing you are accusing Christians of - cherry-picking the Bible to support your position don't you?

And surely you realize that the passages mentioning slaves is not about blacks don't you?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:

I guess the Bentley-driving preachers were absent the day they covered that in seminary.
no!!! thats why christians are commanded to study to show thy self approved so we know how to identify false teachers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta