Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 01:56 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscogeeButterfly View Post
I feel as you. I'm like, how can they sleep at night, with that kind of lifestyle, knowing their job is simply to shepard the flock, and help out in the community. I never understood the Rolls Royces, and mansion situations.
I honestly don't see how that's a big deal. The heads of non-profits like the American Cancer Society, the United Negro College Fund and AARP all make over $1 million a year. There's big money in running a tax-exempt organization. Why should preachers take a hit?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:37 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,405,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I honestly don't see how that's a big deal. The heads of non-profits like the American Cancer Society, the United Negro College Fund and AARP all make over $1 million a year. There's big money in running a tax-exempt organization. Why should preachers take a hit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Exactly.

People behave as if the notion is just so unbelievable, when I just don't understand what's so hard to believe about it.
Wake up people anyday now, puhleez!

Old 12-18-2010, 12:13 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,102,798 times
Quote:
If I made that kind of money, I can think of a lot of places that could use it better than I could. I think you can tell a lot about a person by how they spend their money.

High incomes aren't the issue ... it's the putting of that money to extravagant use when preaching that others should give.

Maybe these preachers don't do that, I really don't know... In the small Presbyterian church I grew up in, the pastor received housing and a fairly modest salary. His job wasn't about the money, to be blunt.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:21 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,575,619 times
Quote:
Because they are preachers. A church should not be for profit, but for worship.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Well, one of the main points of prosperity gospel is to get wealthy. So it makes sense for the preacher to personify that. If that's what the parishioners want, who's to question their faith?

Jesus may not have thought much of wealth, but he's hardly the only person in the Bible. Many churches have accumulated immense wealth.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:48 PM

274 posts, read 860,866 times
Here is more pastoral excessive extravagance at the expense of God's people. What gall !!
Check this out. Unbelievable

www.eiwm.org

Old 12-18-2010, 08:09 PM

Remember Jim and Tammy and the PTL Club? Rev. Ike and Oral Roberts? They don't make 'em like they used to.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:52 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,254,938 times
Quote:
Well, one of the main points of prosperity gospel is to get wealthy. So it makes sense for the preacher to personify that. If that's what the parishioners want, who's to question their faith?

Jesus may not have thought much of wealth, but he's hardly the only person in the Bible. Many churches have accumulated immense wealth.
Exactly, New Birth is a church that celebrates Prosperity Gospel, so Eddie Long is playing a role and living a lifestyle that manifests and personifies that type of church. I don't know why people act so surprised by that. If he was chiefly preaching a message of giving and living modestly, I'd have more of a problem with how he makes his money. But since prosperity gospel doesnt exectly preach that, I figure that's the type of leadership that his parishoners want, so be it. Eddie Long isn't getting any money out of my wallet, so I don't really care about his Bentley or his Gulfstream Jet. He isn't the first prosperity gospel preacher (Rev. Ike, anyone?) and he certainly won't be the last. As the son of a pastor, believe me, members of churches can mutiny and rebel against leadership if there is enough momentum to do so. If enough members of New Birth had a problem with Eddie Long and his type of ministry and leadership, his church wouldn't have grown as it did. However, I have noticed that in churches where a cult of personality and blind, unquestioning faith in your minister is expected, questioning and rebelling against leadership is tantamount to blasphemy. Eddie Long is a master manipulator of words. He didn't get to where he is by having an egalitarian-style ministry where the congregation has power. I grew up in the Presbyterian Church, so I know the difference in the types of leadership that different denominations have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Eddie Long at all. I went to his church years ago with a ladyfriend of mine out of curiosity, and I wasn't all that impressed. I haven't said to much about the scandal here in Atlanta because I know a few New Birthers in real life, so I figured this wasn't an issue that could be discussed in a civilized manner. A lot of people don't like the church I go to (it's casual and contemporary in style), so I'm not one to really criticize a church out in the open because everything isn't for everyone. New Birth wasn't for me.

When I heard about the charges, I wasn't shocked at all. Maybe I'm too cynical for my own good. When he didn't outright deny anything in thatsermon he did back in September, that raised a huge red flag to me. If he's settled out of court with them, and put a gag order out on the accusers, that's sad to me. Molestation is a serious issue, and too many times, people in society want to blame the victim rather than look and see that an adult in a position of authority may have preyed on the faith, naivety, respect, and greed (cars and trips) of impressionable young men or women. Sex scandals in a church are nothing new under the sun, and im thinking that it will be swept under the rug and it will be business as usual when all is said and done. I'm sure there will be those who have left or are in the process of leaving to join another church, but I'm pretty sure they will be in the minority.

I guess I can disclose that I dressed as Eddie Long for one of the biggest Halloween parties in Atlanta and lived to tell about it. No, I wasn't making fun of the story, but I felt it was relevant and would get a few laughs. Yes, I have a twisted sense of humor. No, I won't apologize for that either. People did get a laugh out of it and I had a ton of people taking pictures with me. I did get a few people looking like they were ready to beat the brakes off of me though.

Last edited by grindin; 12-19-2010 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,768,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I guess I can disclose that I dressed as Eddie Long for one of the biggest Halloween parties in Atlanta and lived to tell about it. No, I wasn't making fun of the story, but I felt it was relevant and would get a few laughs. Yes, I have a twisted sense of humor. No, I won't apologize for that either. People did get a laugh out of it and I had a ton of people taking pictures with me. I did get a few people looking like they were ready to beat the brakes off of me though.
I think I've seen that Halloween picture on my friend's facebook page. lol

Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 PM

968 posts, read 2,619,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I guess I can disclose that I dressed as Eddie Long for one of the biggest Halloween parties in Atlanta and lived to tell about it.
Pics Required
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta