Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:02 AM

23,489 posts, read 44,156,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
5 Points & Lil 5 Points are not really the same.
In fact they are about four miles apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:13 AM

876 posts, read 2,280,437 times
I have noticed, some people confuse Five Points and Little Five Points. Practically nothing in common other than both are ITP. One would have to see both to form his/her own opinion.

Five Points area has improved in some ways over the past decade and in some ways it has not. I've lived and / or worked in this area for the most part for the past 14 years, and sometimes I think it has changed a lot and in other ways it has not. There seem to be more shops catering to GSU students, and some major buildings have had remodeling to make them look better. Some of the long-ago abandoned buildings are being now utilized, while some are still starkly empty. The MARTA trains are more cleaned up and modern than they were about 10 years ago. Castleberry Hill is definitely a more desirable place for loft living than it was about a decade ago in my opinion.

The vagrants are still there, but as already mentioned, if you go to most any large city, you see people like this. Having the homeless present is just part of urban living world wide. Aggressive panhandling is very annoying anywhere but I guess I am somewhat jaded since I have dealt with it on a regular basis over the years.

When I entertain visitors from out of town who like history, then I may take them to Downtown Atlanta to see a few of the old building that remain, but for others I would steer them to Midtown, Buckhead, or some typical tourist attractions spread out in Atlanta. My decision more depends on the what the visitor wants to see and how much time he may have.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,444,654 times
Though I feel people come down too hard on 5 points one thing for sure is there could be more control of the homeless situation. There are homeless in other major city downtowns as well but I doubt they allow them to be as aggressive. I remember on 16th street mall in Denver there was a homeless man sprawled out on the sidewalk of the busy street. On the way back we noticed two cops around the guy and I think they got him out of there. I remember on High Street through OSU campus in Columbus there were bums that would ask you for money and I remember laughing at two comical ones having a funny argument about a sandwich or something. But the area was so crowded with students and others that it kind of covered up and minimized the effect of the few homless there.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:51 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,841,743 times
There's no denying that the area around Five Points is often trashed out. I've seen it myself on many occasions and had several out of town friends comment on it as well.

Surely the matter of trash and debris has nothing to do with whether it's mainly blacks or whites who hang out there. We're just talking basic maintenance, as in don't throw junk on the streets and if you do see litter laying around pick it up. You don't see other major intersections/transit stations like Arts Center, Lindbergh or Perimeter getting trashed out.

As mentioned above, I'd favor leaving Five Points the way it is. It doesn't need to be gentrifed or transformed into another Midtown or Buckhead. But there's no reason to have trash on the streets.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 PM

652 posts, read 1,425,595 times
I actually think these pictures represent the exact opposite of what most people think of Atlanta. If you showed these pics to someone that never been to Atlanta, They would think it was somewhere in New York.

I actually like this area, but I think it could use a little TLC.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 13,865 times
Default Little Five is a blast

I live in Gwinnett and really get tired of so many stuffy, conforming pretentious people. Hanging out or catching a show down there is a great way to feel carefree and loose again. I liked the pics. There is a lot of culture to soak up. You really need somewhat of an artists eye and mind to appreciate Little Five. If you are tired of places like applebees this is the place to go. This is a place where you can totally be yourself. No one cares how old you are or what brand of tennis shoes you are wearing. To me this is real usa.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:06 AM

23,489 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raridee View Post
I live in Gwinnett and really get tired of so many stuffy, conforming pretentious people. Hanging out or catching a show down there is a great way to feel carefree and loose again. I liked the pics. There is a lot of culture to soak up. You really need somewhat of an artists eye and mind to appreciate Little Five. If you are tired of places like applebees this is the place to go. This is a place where you can totally be yourself. No one cares how old you are or what brand of tennis shoes you are wearing. To me this is real usa.
Once again, the topic (and the pics) refer to the Five Points area of downtown, NOT the Little Five Points area of Inman Park. Please get with the program.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,535,886 times
I was riding through that area of downtown last night and I was noticing how nice the architecture and street layout is. It has a lot of potential if more businesses and residents can be convinced to set up shop down there. I could see it being a great place for a city/state/fed government worker to live if only some of the basic necessities(grocery store, laundry, watering holes) came into the neighborhood. At one time there was a Kroger in the area but apparently it did not work out which is too bad.

Mitchell St seems to be experiencing a mini boom. If some of the other streets can fill in with businesses that don't just cater to the 9-5 crowd(this is the problem with most of downtown) then I can see the area going somewhere.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,312,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raridee View Post
Again, "Little Five" is a totally different place than Five Points. They are not similar, and they are not in the same part of the city. (I see LovinDecatur beat me to it.)

Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,273,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Your agenda has grown beyond tiresome.

Unless you can prove that violent crime is happeneing to tourists @ Five Points, you are doing nothing but spreading lies at this point.
There was a gang fight at Underground within the last week or two and a guy was almost stabbed to death. This happened in broad daylight at the food court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta