Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:39 PM

248 posts, read 651,408 times

Advertisements

(RE: the original post) Thanks for posting the link to these 5 Points photo! I hadn't seen these before and they're really great. After having lived in Midtown for several years, my family is moving just a couple of blocks north of 5 Points to a Fairlie-Poplar condo in just a few weeks and seeing these pics made me excited about the move.

I love the history of this area and the mix of architectural styles. But I also love the mix of people on the street. I love that there ARE people on the street! Sure, there are vagrants and panhandlers and homeless people (God bless them), but there are also many residents in buildings like Muses, the William Oliver, the Healey, 90 Polar and more -- not to forget the dedicated GSU student housing. Having so many students around gives it a great vitality.

It's not for everyone, but it's got a great urban charm to it (I agree w/ LovinDecatur's remark that it's reminiscent of Brooklyn and that's something I love about it, too). I've been going for weekly walks at night in this part of downtown for exercise and street photography for a couple of years. It's the most pedestrian-friendly part of the city in my opinion. There's room for a lot of positive change here for sure (more residents would be great) but it's also just fine the way it is.

Last edited by reet4587; 09-09-2010 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,357,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post

-- not to forget the dedicated GSU student housing. Having so many students around gives it a great vitality.
Absolutely. There are ZILLIONS of GSU students around Fairlie-Poplar this time of year. The beginning of Fall semester is always swarming with students. I've been working in this area for ten years and it's so much nicer since GSU's Aderhold classroom building opened a few years ago.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:00 PM

113 posts, read 312,180 times
What I see in Five Points and downtown along Peachtree Street is something I've never seen in any other major American city/downtown. Armed, uniformed cops just walking around or standing on a corner staring at people as they go by. I'm going to be in the minority on this but it depresses and angers the hell out of me. Is downtown shot so bad that it needs to be turned into a police state?? Apparently so. You don't see this in most any other major American city, and I've been to quite a few. I get angry whenever I see cops downtown because it reminds me that I work in some hellhole that the city refuses to clean up. It's embarrassing.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:15 PM

8,491 posts, read 15,070,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
What I see in Five Points and downtown along Peachtree Street is something I've never seen in any other major American city/downtown. Armed, uniformed cops just walking around or standing on a corner staring at people as they go by. I'm going to be in the minority on this but it depresses and angers the hell out of me. Is downtown shot so bad that it needs to be turned into a police state?? Apparently so. You don't see this in most any other major American city, and I've been to quite a few. I get angry whenever I see cops downtown because it reminds me that I work in some hellhole that the city refuses to clean up. It's embarrassing.
Wait, are you saying that other cities don't have teams of cops walking the streets?

Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,743,891 times
Quote:
Well, dont go to DC or NYC, you may faint...

Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,548,398 times
Quote:
Are you sure you aren't confusing the Atlanta Ambassadors with the Atlanta Police? I count far more of those guys than APD any day. The gsu police precinct is right there too. I haven't had much of an issue with cops around that area because i realize they're there to keep the vagrants from harassing students and tourists.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:57 PM

8,491 posts, read 15,070,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Well, dont go to DC or NYC, you may faint...
LOL for real! I am really, really interested in what "major" city they were referring to since when you go to every other big city there are way more cops around than there are in Downtown Atlanta. In fact, a big complaint people have is that there aren't enough cops walking the beat in Downtown.

But as you said, don't go to NYC:

New York City Cops | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/98354766@N00/56502424 - broken link)

They travel in threes, sometimes with these...

+
All available sizes | Tactical Patrol Force NYPD: Times Square | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyliner72/2473304631/sizes/m/in/photostream/ - broken link)

FYI, that's not S.W.A.T. (but that is a submachine gun) It's the tactical patrol in Times Square. They got a little jumpy after 9/11...

Last edited by waronxmas; 09-09-2010 at 10:09 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 04:55 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,743,891 times
Yep, I saw alot of them this week with ar 15 in downtown Manhattan.

You can't walk anywhere in NYC and not bump into the police around the corner.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,357,285 times
I see police cars every day, but I can't remember the last time I saw a cop standing on a sidewalk watching people in any area of downtown. As I said before, I rarely go to Five Points proper, but I'm in Fairlie-Poplar/Woodruff Park area (on the edge of Five Points) all week.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 AM

32,054 posts, read 36,984,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
In fact, a big complaint people have is that there aren't enough cops walking the beat in Downtown.
No kidding! The ambassadors are a positive presence but it's not like having cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta