Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times

Advertisements

I hate to start another thread that compares how things are done here versus elsewhere, but I do need to ask....WHY do my kids need to go back to school on Aug 5, with the temperatures near 100 degrees? Cobb County actually moved up the start date one week from previous years, to start even earlier than previously.

Having grown up with and having my children previously in schools that started right after Labor Day, I'm just scratching my head. It does seem that southern schools, not just here in GA, seem to start in the middle of summer, while most northern schools systems don't start until around Labor Day.

Can anyone shed light on how/why southern schools in general decided to start the school year in Aug, especially when the south can be so hot this time of year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Well, you can read a ton of posts on this topic here... If Cobb is worried about heat stroke on buses, maybe we’re starting school too early. (Cobb starts tomorrow.) | Get Schooled

Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,394 times
I've been wondering about this too. I know they build in extras for snow days but this is insane. Of course, maybe it's a compromise in relation to the idea of year-round school. There's an argument (very valid, if you ask me) that a 3 month vacation is not only anachronistic (since very few kids need summer's off any more to work in the fields), but detrimental to the learning process. Still, I'm not sure a 2 month vacation is significantly better and I'm really not sure if that's the reason they have moved up the start date. Perhaps one of our school experts has more info.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,380 times
Interestingly Fulton county schools are opening later than usual. They open Aug 23 - full 2 weeks after Gwinnett, Dekalb, etc. I think it is at least partially a cost cutting measure (school day is being extended by 10 or so minutes)

Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Are you serious?? This is what is wrong with kids these days, the parents are too soft. Parents not wanting their kids in school because it's hot is a joke...SMH

Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
Someone can confirm but I am not sure the kids have shorter summer breaks here. Doesn't school get out much earlier in the spring here so the argument of more school days is not valid. Seems to be a lot of teacher planning days during the year also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
Of course, maybe it's a compromise in relation to the idea of year-round school. There's an argument (very valid, if you ask me) that a 3 month vacation is not only anachronistic (since very few kids need summer's off any more to work in the fields),.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Are you serious?? This is what is wrong with kids these days, the parents are too soft. Parents not wanting their kids in school because it's hot is a joke...SMH
I knew someone would contribute a meaningful, insightful, and thoughtful comment. Thanks Tony.

What I'm asking is why Cobb County ends the school year in May and starts up in ealry Aug., as opposed to most northern schools that end in late June and start up in early Sept.

For those unfamiliar, like tonygeorgia appears to be, summer begins on June 21 and ends on Sept 21. It doesn't begin in mid-May and end in early Aug. I'm not advocating going to school for fewer days, just letting kids have summer vacation DURING summer.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Start school on September 1, +/- three days. End school on June 7, +/- three days. Make the Christmas break two weeks. BAM.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
I haven't been in GA long enough to say for sure, but I'm wondering if these early start dates have to do with statewide testing? That was the case in FL. They began starting the school year earlier thinking that students would have a chance to learn more before the statewide testing in March. Districts that didn't start earlier started complaining that it wasn't fair, so they recently made it a law that no district can start earlier than mid August.
From a budget viewpoint, it seems that it would be more costly to air condition schools during one of the hottest times of the year.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 AM

606 posts, read 2,005,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I hate to start another thread that compares how things are done here versus elsewhere, but I do need to ask....WHY do my kids need to go back to school on Aug 5, with the temperatures near 100 degrees? Cobb County actually moved up the start date one week from previous years, to start even earlier than previously.

Having grown up with and having my children previously in schools that started right after Labor Day, I'm just scratching my head. It does seem that southern schools, not just here in GA, seem to start in the middle of summer, while most northern schools systems don't start until around Labor Day.

Can anyone shed light on how/why southern schools in general decided to start the school year in Aug, especially when the south can be so hot this time of year?
Maybe you should ask yourself why other places start school so late. What's so wrong with going back to school on August 5th ? It helps those kids who live in homes without a/c to be in a nice air conditioned building all day. Oh and by the way, it's not the middle of summer. Most people consider the end of summer to be Labor Day which is just a month away. And don't get all technical on me. Just because the calendar says it ends on Sept 22 or whatever doesn't mean it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta