Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 PM

23 posts, read 45,299 times

Advertisements

In 2010 I graduated from DeVry in Decatur with my associates in Electronics & Computer Technology.
Lately I've been thinking needing to go back for my bachelors. (Noticing as time goes on associates means nothing)

Currently I'm working full time at a call center in Buckhead but still have a passion of working in my field.
So not sure how I'll maintain full time for school as I work from 8:30am-5:30pm but I see people do it all the time so guess it's just time management.

Lately I've heard that schools like DeVry and ITT are shunned on when it comes to employers.
Is this true?

Also doing a little more research on it, DeVry is considered under the regionally accredited for the Northern Central Association. GA doesn't fall under that jurisdiction. It's under Southern Association of colleges and schools. Does that mean anything in terms of finding a job down here in that field?

Does school being regionally accredited mean anything in terms of looking for jobs? Or is it more of a favor to those state they're with?

Ok let me stop rambling.
DeVry's bachelor path from associate's ECT is EET (Electronic Engineering Technology)

What's another school in the Atlanta Area that would also fit in that category?

My other concern(which is the most important) is transfer credit. I know since my associate came from DeVry all their credit transfer one way or another...

When it comes to other school is where that problem lies.
Are there any school in the area that work nicely with DeVry's credits?

I can go back to DeVry but I'm still paying off Sallie Mae's loan from them and they rather on the expensive side so know it'll be worse with a bachelors haha...

Trying to keep my options open...

Keep in mind I currently live in Stockbridge so I'd really not to like to go up to like Alpheretta or something for school lol
Unless I did online courses...but then that'll add a whole bunch of other questions as online course seems weird not being able to see someone for assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,454,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye3rd89 View Post
In 2010 I graduated from DeVry in Decatur with my associates in Electronics & Computer Technology.
Lately I've been thinking needing to go back for my bachelors. (Noticing as time goes on associates means nothing)

Currently I'm working full time at a call center in Buckhead but still have a passion of working in my field.
So not sure how I'll maintain full time for school as I work from 8:30am-5:30pm but I see people do it all the time so guess it's just time management.

Lately I've heard that schools like DeVry and ITT are shunned on when it comes to employers.
Is this true?

Also doing a little more research on it, DeVry is considered under the regionally accredited for the Northern Central Association. GA doesn't fall under that jurisdiction. It's under Southern Association of colleges and schools. Does that mean anything in terms of finding a job down here in that field?

Does school being regionally accredited mean anything in terms of looking for jobs? Or is it more of a favor to those state they're with?

Ok let me stop rambling.
DeVry's bachelor path from associate's ECT is EET (Electronic Engineering Technology)

What's another school in the Atlanta Area that would also fit in that category?

My other concern(which is the most important) is transfer credit. I know since my associate came from DeVry all their credit transfer one way or another...

When it comes to other school is where that problem lies.
Are there any school in the area that work nicely with DeVry's credits?

I can go back to DeVry but I'm still paying off Sallie Mae's loan from them and they rather on the expensive side so know it'll be worse with a bachelors haha...

Trying to keep my options open...

Keep in mind I currently live in Stockbridge so I'd really not to like to go up to like Alpheretta or something for school lol
Unless I did online courses...but then that'll add a whole bunch of other questions as online course seems weird not being able to see someone for assistance
Honestly should not your three years of work experience be good enough to move up. I guess that would also depend on rather your landing a job with your current associate degree. $30,000 or more dollars of debt may no be the best solution. An Associate degree with job experience is probably the best option for moving up.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 AM

23 posts, read 45,299 times
Seeing that during that 3 year period none of the jobs where related to what I wentnto school for, kind of seems rather meh when.looking at that on a resume.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 AM

492 posts, read 792,204 times
You couldn't/can't get a IT call center job with that associates? Many of them don't require anything.

What are your career goals? Tell me that and I can tell you if it is worth it.

In the end though a bachelors will look better but I'd go to a state school vs. something like Devry. Much much cheaper.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 AM

Also a Electronic Engineering Technology degree is almost useless in this economy. That degree was good for a time when TV repair shops were big but not so much now unless you want to work for Comcast as a cable guy or fix copiers (neither are bad job btw, just don't expect to make more than 36k).

Best to just get a straight up Engineering(Electrical or computer for example) or IT degree (Computer Science or Information Systems for example).

Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,030,554 times
Air Force

Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM

38 posts, read 62,865 times
As you mentioned, your biggest problem will be getting any other college to accept your credits from DeVry. My 1st step would be to contact the local colleges to see how far back they will make you repeat classes, figure out a total cost from that point til graduation, and see if its really worth the added monthly loan amount. Go somewhere that's ABET accredited.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 AM

847 posts, read 1,459,844 times
What exactly do you want to do? Knowing what possible careers you want to undertake is just as important as the school that you choose to attend.

I know a few people that went to DeVry, so I am not going to totally dismiss it. However, the days of going to DeVry or ITT and then getting a good-paying, entry-level job in exactly what you majored in are over. The good news is that since you already have an Associate's degree, you can at least apply most of those credits towards your Bachelor's even if you go to another school and choose another major.

Since you currently have a full-time job, I would suggest doing a little more soul searching before you jump back into school. There are plenty of options in the Atlanta area and you may very well end up in something that you are not currently considering. I don't know your current living arrangement, but you can also eventually look at moving out of Stockbridge if commuting to both work and school become a huge task.

Also bear in mind that your path may change as you change. I know someone that went to DeVry-Decatur and obtained a Bachelor's. After doing some IT call center work, she decided that was not for her. She is now in law school at Georgia State.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Also bear in mind that your path may change as you change. I know someone that went to DeVry-Decatur and obtained a Bachelor's. After doing some IT call center work, she decided that was not for her. She is now in law school at Georgia State.
Yeah, call center work will make anybody want rethink their career or life in general, lol. If you have certs and/ or a degree it's best to do that for a short time for experience (like 1-2 years MAX if you can get out) and leave for a non call center position before you loose your sanity.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 AM

847 posts, read 1,459,844 times
Another option would be to hold off on going back to school until you get on with an employer that offers tuition reimbursement. Since you already have a hefty bill for your Associate Degree, this could be a way to avoid racking up more student loan debt while you finish school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta