Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye3rd89 View Post
(Noticing as time goes on associates means nothing)
I know exactly how you feel. Graduated Phi Theta Kappa and can't get a job delivering mail at a marketing firm. All I wanted was to get my foot in the door in sales support (clerical) then go back for bachelors. Anyways, can't complain much. I've had some great jobs and just landed one in Atlanta. Made the move from Augusta recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,036 times
A big, big part of going to college to prepare for a career is not just the skills learned, but the networking opportunities. All too often, classes are stressed while networking is ignored, while in truth students need to focus on both.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM

259 posts, read 394,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeTown View Post
You are curious about the rep of Devry with employers...so you've had some negative feedback about it?

Nothing beats direct experience, IMO. Certs are a good addition, and like the other poster said, a cheaper alternative...but your best bet is to work hard, save some money (get a good used car with a few miles on it, not a beefy new car loan), and try to get ahead in your current job. Becoming a call center manager would be way better than more "education", and it would increase your income, not put you into debt.

Ask your current boss for more assignments, or do some kiss-butt work for them. You might be promoted or get a raise because of it....plus you have all of your time off for yourself without having to do more schoolwork.

Also...Devry is a joke. Sorry. I know someone who is in 100k of debt because of Devry, and has nothing to show for it. It didn't help, and actually hurt their career. She was being told through her contacts it was not good to put it on her resume, and has since removed it.

Just my .02
What did she go for?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 AM

847 posts, read 1,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
A big, big part of going to college to prepare for a career is not just the skills learned, but the networking opportunities. All too often, classes are stressed while networking is ignored, while in truth students need to focus on both.
That's very true. A lot of people these days obtain employment mainly through networking. In a lot of cases, by the time a job posting hits the net, it is too late since someone-who-knows-someone may have already interviewed for the position.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM

28 posts, read 29,159 times
I hope you save your money and reconsider going to DeVry. It is very expensive and you will probably never see a good return on investment. My husband works in IT Security. He never went to college. He got certifications only - A+, Net+, Security+, MCITP, MCSA, Server+. He has a well paying job - he makes more than me and I have 2 bachelor degrees and student loans. He has no loans.

The company he is with now hired him based on his certifications. He has been working in the field for 6 years now and he wants to get a degree in business paid for by the company he works for. They put more emphasis on having a business degree with related certifications than on having some obscure degree like the one you are looking into. He is also working on his CISSP which is a good field to be in. You are young, so look at what your potential will be and look at what your return on investment will be. My husband makes close to $100K, BUT we had to move from Atlanta to secure a job that would provide him with experience. Unfortunately, good IT jobs are hard to come by in Atlanta. You might want to look in technology and defense heavy areas such as Huntsville, AL , Colorado Springs, CO, Sierra Vista, AZ, Washington DC area.

Again, a degree does not equal getting a good job. There are alot of other factors involved and places like DeVry only want your money - they don't care whether you land a job once you graduate. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
That's very true. A lot of people these days obtain employment mainly through networking. In a lot of cases, by the time a job posting hits the net, it is too late since someone-who-knows-someone may have already interviewed for the position.
Networking at Devry in an undergraduate program may be an exercise in futility. No one in the room has a bachelors and likely needs one to get a better role. Undergrad it is far more critical to have good on-campus recruiting since you'll be looking for roles that require zero/minimal experience and Devry isn't exactly making it rain employers for students. I'd recommend you ask to see a job fair or some recruiting event before you write any checks for tuition. I even told my cousin at GT to attend the on-campus recruiting very heavily since it's your absolute best shot at landing a job w/o any experience and it got her multiple offers.

In my PT MBA program, I was able to help a few classmates I was on teams w/ get jobs by connecting them w/ other classmates since they all had decently high paying jobs already and I was willing to vouch for them. I knew of a few others changing roles through their connections in the program as well. In that case, networking does have its advantages but even so stepping into a room and bugging everyone for a job is going to have a limited effect.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Networking at Devry in an undergraduate program may be an exercise in futility. No one in the room has a bachelors and likely needs one to get a better role. Undergrad it is far more critical to have good on-campus recruiting since you'll be looking for roles that require zero/minimal experience and Devry isn't exactly making it rain employers for students. I'd recommend you ask to see a job fair or some recruiting event before you write any checks for tuition. I even told my cousin at GT to attend the on-campus recruiting very heavily since it's your absolute best shot at landing a job w/o any experience and it got her multiple offers.

In my PT MBA program, I was able to help a few classmates I was on teams w/ get jobs by connecting them w/ other classmates since they all had decently high paying jobs already and I was willing to vouch for them. I knew of a few others changing roles through their connections in the program as well. In that case, networking does have its advantages but even so stepping into a room and bugging everyone for a job is going to have a limited effect.
I wasn't suggesting that he networks at DeVry. I was speaking about networking in general in response to another poster's post.

In actuality, I think that the OP would be making a HUGE mistake if he goes back to DeVry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta