Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 AM

23 posts, read 45,258 times

Advertisements

I know I've yammered about this before on this thread but more or less now is more on the serious side now.
I'm 24.
I currently have my Associates Degree in Electronics & Computer Technology at DeVry University (lol yea I know I'm going to get crap for it haha)
No Certifications

And I'd like to go back for my Bachelors.
Pretty much anything in Electronics/Computer Technology that strikes my interest.

Some may say "You don't seem too certain about this so why are you trying to go back?"
My mother has brought to my attention that due to her being 100% Disabled Veteran I'm able to use "Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)"

Which in short I'd be able to get benefits if I where to pursue my education...but it can only be used for
degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training.

So I figured take advantage of this.

The problem now is how to take full effect of this opportunity.
Provided the only work experience I have somewhat related to what I went to school was a call center that handle DSL related issues for Verizon Customers.

Unfortunately the center was closed recently and was laid off so currently I'm unemployed.

I could go back for my bachelors but that would cost a lot regardless where I went on top of the loans I'm already paying off now.

From opinions I've gotten from other's certification seem the better way to go but unsure exactly how they are done...

I do know that IF I do go back for my bachelors...I'm not going back to DeVry

Just wanted other people opinion on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,632,578 times
Join the Air Force so you can get real experience, free traveling and you can get them to pay for your degree

Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 PM

bump :P And in the relation to the military i'm currently im not physically fit to do basic so that's a plan in progress Need something for the time being

Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,845 times
Use your mom's benefits to earn your bachelors degree. After you get a full time job, once you complete college then you will be in a position to pay for your certifications.

***Choose the best program for the least amount of money. What are your local state colleges where you can use your mom's benefit in order to earn your bachelors degree at a lower price than devry. The college experience is great!

Master plan. You should have your short term and long term plans. While in college make it a goal to obtain a technology internship. Join two professional organizations and get involved with conventions and tech events to learn and network around those in your field. Your job is to soak up every aspect of this field. If you take 2 years to finish your education, work internships, and develop relationships with professors (recommendations for jobs) then you should make a nice salary without too much debt.

After graduating your need to research your i.t. fields of interest and what field you want to pursue and earn profitable certifications. Do your research on what certifications pay off. Dedicate yourself to completing at least two certifications in high demand and consider earning your masters degree for 6 figures. If you do this you will be in good shape with a great life with a six figure salary by the ago of 30.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Use your mom's benefits to earn your bachelors degree. After you get a full time job, once you complete college then you will be in a position to pay for your certifications.

***Choose the best program for the least amount of money. What are your local state colleges where you can use your mom's benefit in order to earn your bachelors degree at a lower price than devry. The college experience is great!

Master plan. You should have your short term and long term plans. While in college make it a goal to obtain a technology internship. Join two professional organizations and get involved with conventions and tech events to learn and network around those in your field. Your job is to soak up every aspect of this field. If you take 2 years to finish your education, work internships, and develop relationships with professors (recommendations for jobs) then you should make a nice salary without too much debt.

After graduating your need to research your i.t. fields of interest and what field you want to pursue and earn profitable certifications. Do your research on what certifications pay off. Dedicate yourself to completing at least two certifications in high demand and consider earning your masters degree for 6 figures. If you do this you will be in good shape with a great life with a six figure salary by the ago of 30.
Sounds like a plan... I recently offered a job at Comcast so I'm very excited to start working again. So I suppose I'd have to do part time for school. Provided full time work and full time school is possible by normal standards...

Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 PM

840 posts, read 2,088,428 times
Have you looked into a BAS degree, a Bachelor of Applied Sicences. It is great for people who have Associates Degree that want to get a bachelor to enhance their Associates.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,839,291 times
Honestly, in your positions, I would contact the IBEW and apply to their apprenticeship program. You get some paid training and you get certification upon completion of the program.

IBEW L.U. 613 They do classes/training in Norcross.

Many unions offer these programs to shore u p memberships. Even though GA is not a union state, people don't know that there are still trade unions here and unionized workers get paid more on average than those who are not. They also offer assistance if you want to become a small business owner with your trade and assist you in bidding on contracts and making connections with other associated businesses for employment.

If any of this is of interest to you, you should check the link above and contact them to see when their next application deadline is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: