Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 AM

421 posts, read 750,523 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion on Mohammed school?

Mohammed Schools of Atlanta

Does it have good academics and such? What about other private schools like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:50 AM

2,307 posts, read 3,001,761 times
I'm aware of the school because my child's school competes against them in sports. They are the only Islamic school around and I would guess most parents who choose it do so for the religious aspect. It would be hard to come up with any other schools that are "like it". I don't know anything about the academics there.

There are several mostly minority private schools. My personal favorite is a small Christian school called Atlanta Youth Academy, only goes to eighth grade but has a great record of placing students in respected private schools and magnet schools for high school.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,857,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
What is your opinion on Mohammed school?

Mohammed Schools of Atlanta

Does it have good academics and such? What about other private schools like it?
I have a stepbrother who attended Sister Clara and W. D. Mohammed Schools. I also know several people who have graduated from there. I was also surprised to learn that several highly paid professionals that I met later in life went to the school (and I don't even think they are Muslim -- at least not currently).

Anyway, it is as reputable as any other private school. The students usually go on to good colleges and universities and often remain very connected with the social circles that they build within the school. For example, I know of a student who went to Howard, one who went to Harvard, and my stepbrother went to Emory -- all on full scholarships. The Muslims in that area own a sizable portion of the small businesses and real estate in that area, so those who do not go off to do bigger and better things on their own often have connections that they can fall back on. The current Imam of the nearby Masjid (who is in his early 30's) is a graduate of the Mohammad Schools. While going to the school, my stepbrother went on a student exchange visit to Spain.

Since it is a racial and religious minority, the students are often close-knit and the classes are incredibly small. I believe my stepbrother's graduating class consisted of no more than 25 or 30... Maybe 40 at the most. However, it is not a secular institution and it is connected to the Mosque on Glenwood. So, they do stop classes to pray. They teach Arabic (among other languages), and on Fridays, it is a half-day, so that they can observe Jumah. I do remember several students envying those that went to public schools because of the freedom they enjoyed and the fact that they didn't have to wear uniforms, etc. But this may be the case at all private schools... I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: