Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,967,226 times

Advertisements

Looking at the weather channel's calenders, it's going to be in the 90s for more than a week, and most likely will be far beyond that into early September, too. So at this point of the "heat wave/climate change/whatever" we're going through, temp wise I doubt a couple of weeks would make any difference.

Another way to look at it - if the kids are in school, they're not inviting their girlfriends to your house while you're at work to make some grandchildren for you, or robbing homes because they say they're "bored". Keeps them out of trouble. Year-round would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:02 AM

23,580 posts, read 44,317,466 times
Perhaps, too, it's an accommodation to working parents who have to bear the cost of child care during summer vacation. For some, that's a struggle.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,829,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
The end of August is still summer too, and that's when kids used to go back to school in GA.
Sorry, I was half asleep when I wrote that. I was being facetious, because when I was going to school, the beginning of August was still "summer", as in "summer break".

Haha, I just realized that you posted directly above me that "summer" starts in mid-May, going by temps. So, we've all got our own definitions.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,540,388 times
One case of heat stroke and some bad press and the calendar will be changed. I do find it funny that Cobb adopted this calendar and now is so concerned about the student welfare in the heat. Surprise! It's very hot in August every August every year. One board member was quoted as saying it's not that different in August as it is in September......well you can ride for 8 weeks in the heat or 4. So there is difference. Some kids have a very long ride, some as long as an hour. Kids are people too. How many people drive around in this heat with the air conditioning off?.....not many if any. And if you think kids should tough it out...why don't you practice what you preach and turn your ac off.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,967,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
One board member was quoted as saying it's not that different in August as it is in September......well you can ride for 8 weeks in the heat or 4. So there is difference. Some kids have a very long ride, some as long as an hour. Kids are people too. How many people drive around in this heat with the air conditioning off?.....not many if any. And if you think kids should tough it out...why don't you practice what you preach and turn your ac off.
Another way to look at it is that if the parents are that concerned about the buses, they can drive their kids to school in a car with A/C. They're public school buses that are FREE to ride (via taxpayer money) that pretty much stop almost door-to-door in many areas to pick kids up/drop them off.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,540,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Another way to look at it is that if the parents are that concerned about the buses, they can drive their kids to school in a car with A/C. They're public school buses that are FREE to ride (via taxpayer money) that pretty much stop almost door-to-door in many areas to pick kids up/drop them off.
Uh Gregg not really sure what your situation is but I pay taxes so the buses for my family are not FREE. I really don't think parents driving their kids to school is a feasable option for most people, for traffic situations or for the environment...but that is another post.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,387,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Perhaps, too, it's an accommodation to working parents who have to bear the cost of child care during summer vacation. For some, that's a struggle.
They still have to pay for child care during the fall and winter breaks. The school year is still 180 days (fewer in Fulton) regardless of ow early it starts. The early start only means they have week-long breaks during the year (e.g.: September and February). This spreads out the cost of child care but doesn't reduce it.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM

115 posts, read 425,122 times
And it's harder to arrange child care for short spurts. Whatever the reason for the early start, it is definitely not for child care ease.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:08 PM

97 posts, read 239,139 times
Wow! Yall back in school. Here where I'm at, school doesn't start till the 26th of August. That's so sweet.....I think...enjoy your years at schools, especially the Class o9f 2012!! We the best!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,239,087 times
Quote:
Maybe you should ask yourself why other places start school so late.
So you yourself admit that Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer, and yet you also ask why school systems that go back around Labor Day are going back "so late" ..... do I have it correct?

Quote:
What's so wrong with going back to school on August 5th ? It helps those kids who live in homes without a/c to be in a nice air conditioned building all day.
That's ridiculous, especially in Cobb County. How many kids in Cobb County don't have A/C at home and are going to school to get out of the heat? 1%?

Quote:
Oh and by the way, it's not the middle of summer.
Actually it is...almost exactly. You could "technically" call it the first half of summer. Summer starts on June 21, so Aug 5 is roughly 6 weeks from the start of summer. Sept 21 is the end of summer, so Aug 5 is roughly 6 weeks from the end of summer. Last time I checked, the middle was roughly half-way between the beginning and the end.

Quote:
Most people consider the end of summer to be Labor Day which is just a month away. And don't get all technical on me. Just because the calendar says it ends on Sept 22 or whatever doesn't mean it does.
I'll get "technical" on you if I feel like it, and I just explained why. Sorry facts get in the way of people's opinions.

BTW...if you noticed, I mentioned going back around Labor Day is how most school systems operate. I never mentioned going back on Sept 22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta