Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:34 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheMatrix View Post
the only thing I saw him prove exists, is his loud mouth and ability to draw a circle

I believe in God. However...

This guy is annoying and simplistic. Yes, a smart atheist could reduce him to dust in minutes.

He's admitting that God could exist within the body of undiscovered knowledge of the universe. But there's the equal possibility that, within that body of undiscovered knowledge, there's proof that God is a construct of the human brain.

He's opening a door to endless possibilities (and endless debate) without really knowing what's behind that door. As I said, simplistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 08:40 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Of course. But to humbly accept an ancient religious system is not arrogance. You could criticize it in a lot of ways but it's definitely not arrogance.

But the only way to really assess a person is to observe what they do. Their words and thoughts really don't mean a lot.

And when theists go around claiming they know God exists and unless you get right you are going to hell and your atheism is wrong and try to use the law as a means to silence and control everyone who is not a theists that believes in their particular version of God then that is surely arrogant when they have not a shred of reasonable evidence for their claims. I don't give a rats ass if they accept it - just kept it to yourself.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:12 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
What a dumb video. It proves nothing, other than that for a specific person's knowledge he may or may not be able to decide whether he believes there's a god.

I see videos with similar themes quite often on You Tube...and they usually start with "Watch _____ totally destroy person X". And then a day later I see person X live on television. Hmm. For someone totally destroyed they rose from the dead!

And here's why I laugh. They say they prove it...which they don't...so that's a lie and they have committed a mortal against god.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I believe in God. However...

This guy is annoying and simplistic. Yes, a smart atheist could reduce him to dust in minutes.

He's admitting that God could exist within the body of undiscovered knowledge of the universe. But there's the equal possibility that, within that body of undiscovered knowledge, there's proof that God is a construct of the human brain.

He's opening a door to endless possibilities (and endless debate) without really knowing what's behind that door. As I said, simplistic.
Quite correct. There are theist arguments that can be made with integrity and validity. This wasn't one of them. It was merely feeding BS to the believers to bolster their Faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
And when theists go around claiming they know God exists and unless you get right you are going to hell and your atheism is wrong and try to use the law as a means to silence and control everyone who is not a theists that believes in their particular version of God then that is surely arrogant when they have not a shred of reasonable evidence for their claims. I don't give a rats ass if they accept it - just kept it to yourself.

You just said a Mouthful, chum.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
I don't think this is the kind of Christian who would be preaching fire and brimstone to non-believers. But this one at least makes a good point about the unknown. And I still think it's arrogant for a human being to think he can know practically everything about the origin of the universe, whereas a giraffe would know absolutely nothing. As if human beings are really that much greater than other mammals.

I would love to know what a great whale thinks about all of this.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
I don't think this is the kind of Christian who would be preaching fire and brimstone to non-believers. But this one at least makes a good point about the unknown. And I still think it's arrogant for a human being to think he can know practically everything about the origin of the universe, whereas a giraffe would know absolutely nothing. As if human beings are really that much greater than other mammals.

A great whale would be busy swallowing Jonah.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You just said a Mouthful, chum.

I could have gone on but you get the point.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:53 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:

Argument to unknowns is not a good point. It is not a good point with the 'kiddies playing in a sandbox" idiocy to the 'have you looked everywhere in the universe' irrelevancy.

It is a god existing in the world that we inhabit that matters and that is a world we know as much about as a whale knows about the world it lives in. The whale may not know where whalers come from, but it knows they exist, and we know that the evidence does not support a god that is, or was, involved with this world or the universe that we know about.

And frankly a god that exists on a far distant galaxy is one I couldn't care less about and neither, I suspect, could you.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:35 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
You could win arguments and debates from now until infinity. It doesn't change reality.

A good salesman can convince someone to spend their money. That doesn't make their product worth the money. Just because the salesman succeeded doesn't change the quality of the product.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:42 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
This is the kind of thing that I find on my fb feed, just wondering what someone's else's take on this is:

I hate it btw, this constant barrage of religious crap and I found his portrayal of the "atheist" very offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx38rAAj0rg
I never get anything religious on my facebook feed...perhaps they linking you from your facebook searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism