Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Some people feel that every government is secretly controlled by the Illuminati, Jews or Alien greys. I wouldn't worry about them, unless they decide on a pipe -bomb or gas attack, then retribution should be swift, condign and with a jail sentence for lawers who file time -wasting appeals on their behalf.

Communism is not going to happen. It has Died. I wish i could be so confident about a police -state though.
#me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 11:20 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Some people feel that every government is secretly controlled by the Illuminati, Jews or Alien greys.
And not only that, but the Illuminati, Jews or Alien greys are themselves secretly controlled by an even more clandestine shadow government.

I have absolute proof in the form of a PDF which I will attach to this post and......wait, someone is at the door, I'll be right b...............

Old 05-23-2018, 11:39 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
So he didn't prove there was a god, he just argued his most unlikely god MAY exist. And that is winning, how?

And his story sounds so true, does it not?

Old 05-23-2018, 11:55 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So he didn't prove there was a god, he just argued his most unlikely god MAY exist. And that is winning, how?

And his story sounds so true, does it not?
Sorry, I was seeing to disposal of Grandstander's body...who were you talking about? Jeff I suppose - he never proves anything but just produces pretexts for not accepting the more probable belief.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Yes. That is why we atheists are more than just propagandists - we are rationalists, and humanists and scientists (in the truest sense), which means that just winning any way we can is Not the most important thing, but in getting it right whatever it is. This means that Lies are never our weapon, and that gives us a punch massively above our weight and it means that we cannot be other than right in the end, because what is right is what we adapt to.

This is why polemics by any method or means will ultimately fail, if there is anyone there to follow the evidence wherever it leads. Even if it leads to some Liburl tendencies.
Everyone bends the truth. And I'm sure that there have been many times when you were saved getting into trouble because someone bent the truth for you.

It makes me think that the true creator of the universe probably doesn't value strict rationalism as a virtue. Maybe its better to pretend sometimes and to have a little more deviation from the straight line of rationalism.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:44 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
And not only that, but the Illuminati, Jews or Alien greys are themselves secretly controlled by an even more clandestine shadow government.

I have absolute proof in the form of a PDF which I will attach to this post and......wait, someone is at the door, I'll be right b...............
That is correct! They are merely my minions! I AM THE MIGHTY QUEEN.

Don't worry, folks, I just had Grandstander transported up to have a beer with us.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:48 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Everyone bends the truth. And I'm sure that there have been many times when you were saved getting into trouble because someone bent the truth for you.

It makes me think that the true creator of the universe probably doesn't value strict rationalism as a virtue. Maybe its better to pretend sometimes and to have a little more deviation from the straight line of rationalism.
Everyone bends the truth but reality. And I doubt that the creator (natural forces) cares much about rationality. That's what we care about.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:55 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Ah kind sirs and madams, I please you my request for velly wise idividial among you to finish proverb berow as as absence for my remember...

"He who starts argument by first drawing circle...

Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I don't think this is the kind of Christian who would be preaching fire and brimstone to non-believers. But this one at least makes a good point about the unknown. And I still think it's arrogant for a human being to think he can know practically everything about the origin of the universe, whereas a giraffe would know absolutely nothing. As if human beings are really that much greater than other mammals.

I would love to know what a great whale thinks about all of this.
Yes, it would be. But who is claiming that?

You, on the other hand, seem to be saying that since we can't reasonably claim to know everything, that means we don't know squat. Which is bizarre, since we manifestly understand the universe well enough to get electrons to deliver coherent messages over large distances to people we will never meet.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, it would be. But who is claiming that?

You, on the other hand, seem to be saying that since we can't reasonably claim to know everything, that means we don't know squat. Which is bizarre, since we manifestly understand the universe well enough to get electrons to deliver coherent messages over large distances to people we will never meet.
Don't you think there's a colony of ants who might have the same sort of message delivery system? And they probably think they are the highest form on intelligence in the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism