Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 PM

22 posts, read 146,360 times

Advertisements

How is Conway and the small towns around Conway?
Thanks,
Phil

Old 11-23-2006, 08:28 AM

15 posts, read 50,209 times
Even if you are a musician, a good fit may be hard to find. I was in Mountainview and saw a distinct reluctance to include a visiting white guy in the entertainment even though he proved that he was an accomplished player with respect for the music.

I asked some of the locals how things were around there and while fishing was great, they said the young people were getting a little hard to handle because of meth. They had had some pretty bad accidents where they were involved on the highways.

All that being said, I enjoyed my visit there and found some great musical entertainment. I found the best place for lunch was a drugstore just off the square that still had an old timey soda fountain. The food was good everytime I ate there. In fact it was the best food that I found! I can't give exact directions, but I remember that it was across the way from a grist mill where I took a tour and was shown how they grind meal.

Would I want to live there on a permanent basis? I'm not so sure.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:40 AM

44 posts, read 209,349 times
Default As a lifelong resident....

I've lived in and around Harrison all my life with the exception of a few years spent in Chicago, Missouri, Oklahoma and Kentucky. I ended up coming back here and this is where I'll stay.

On the upside, our weather is generally pretty mild. We have a comparatively low crime rate. You NEVER hear of a 'hate crime', and most violence is among the meth users which are everywhere. State and local police are all over it and now most meth comes into this country via Mexico due to new laws regarding epinephrine.

Taxes and land prices are low, building costs aren't bad either. People are moving into the area everyday. What the locals DON'T like is someone moving here from, let's say, Chicago (insert other city if you like) and trying to make the Ozarks just like the place they just left. It's a sure ticket to resentment.

You'll find all the conveniences of modern living, but without the excesses. The lakes and rivers are beautiful, the people are great, and the scenery is wonderful. The best place to raise your kids.

On the downside, winter will make you want to go on a vacation from time to time. Shopoholics will need to take the forty minute drive to Branson, MO. to find malls and great eateries. The roads are sometimes steep and crooked and it's definately a slower pace of life, be that good or bad. People who crave the 'bright lights and big city' atmosphere need not apply. Jobs are primarily in the service industries and are typically low paying. Arkansas is an easy state in which to spread your entrepreneurial wings. Growth is rampant.

Steve

Old 11-24-2006, 09:54 AM

15 posts, read 50,209 times
I agree with sbernard that so many transplants create resentment by telling the locals "how superior" the place they had just left was compared to their current location. I travel a lot and hear this happening all the time. The amazing thing is that the locals are polite enough not to tell them, "Well, why don't you go back and leave us alone?"

On Conway, I've never stayed there for any length of time. I pass through often and my impression on the town is that the people I come across in the restaurants and stores seem to be very pleasant.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:50 AM

113 posts, read 570,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottysofpdl View Post
How is Conway and the small towns around Conway?
Thanks,
Phil
Lived in Conway for 3 years now, commuting to Little Rock. I love it other than the traffic. Second best place I've ever lived!

Old 11-27-2006, 12:22 PM

Default So . . . .

Woopig sooie,
Thanks. So, what's the best place you've ever lived then?
Thanks,
Phil

Old 11-28-2006, 06:25 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller7113 View Post
I agree with sbernard that so many transplants create resentment by telling the locals "how superior" the place they had just left was compared to their current location. I travel a lot and hear this happening all the time. The amazing thing is that the locals are polite enough not to tell them, "Well, why don't you go back and leave us alone?"

On Conway, I've never stayed there for any length of time. I pass through often and my impression on the town is that the people I come across in the restaurants and stores seem to be very pleasant.
That's one of my pet peeves, people moving somewhere to get away from the rat race or horrid conditions they left and then reminiscing about how "good it was there." Well if if is so good, why did you leave?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM

113 posts, read 570,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottysofpdl View Post
Woopig sooie,
Thanks. So, what's the best place you've ever lived then?
Thanks,
Phil
Russellville, AR! Went to college there and if I could afford the commute to Little Rock, I'd move back in a heartbeat!

Old 11-29-2006, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 32,416 times
Smile Love Russellville!

California girl here. I love Russellville. Been there a dozen times. Its a great plave to live. Not too small but not too big either, but close enough to Little Rock for shopping, not that I do that much. Great lake for fishing, and friendly people who take care of their homes. (plus I have two Cali friends who live there). I Hope to move there in a year or two after I get my RN.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Russellville

How long does it take (with traffic) to drive to Conway from Russellville? What about LR?
Thanks,
Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas