Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 AM

8 posts, read 23,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy2674 View Post
True that is,but I heard a governor of arkansas was extremely violent in the 70's not that long ago.I also heard there are racist movements there,with neo-nazi's around that area.
All I want is a place where my life won't be at risk,and I can have fun with the country life I so desperately want.

I keep hearing about fayetteville and rogers,so I'm going to be doing a little research on those areas as well.But the smaller towns are out for sure,too many potential problems associated with them.

And I do appreciate all the help I'm getting here everyone,so thanks.
I have lived in Arkansas my entire life and don't have a racist bone in my body. I really don't believe that you would ever have to worry about your life being at risk here just because of your race. I'm not saying that some people here aren't racist, but I think you have that everywhere. Arkansas is really beautiful and the people are in general very friendly. Good luck with your decision. I agree with the other people about looking at the northwest part of the state just because it is alot prettier there. I live around little rock now and it's alot more flat and not as pretty.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:39 PM

10 posts, read 54,573 times
Do you live in Arkansas Octavia?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:31 PM

10 posts, read 54,573 times
I've lived all over the United States and Iowa was the only state that scared me. My father was career Air Force. Arkansas is my home state, south Ark., to be specific.
As with anywhere you go, we have problems here also. We just stay away from the problem areas. And that is why I now live in NW Ark.. The crime rate is not as bad, the diving is better, and it is a great place to raise children.
Let me preface this next comment by saying first: I am about as non-racist as a person can be. People are just people, regardless of color. They don't always behave themselves, shame on them. And some people are having a hard time getting into the 20th century, all over the world.
Yes, the ex-KKK dude lives in a very small community called Zinc, located a few miles outside of Harrison. I have lived in Harrison for 16 years without there ever being any racial issues, by anyone. I have met that man. He seems to live quietly with his family and is non-confrontational as far as I know. I don't 'know' him. But I would know if there were problems.
Harrison and parts of NW AR are 'stigmatized', for lack of a better word, for problems dating back to when women couldn't vote. it is not that way any more.
I have encountered more racial issues in northern states than I have the southern states. That, I think, is because we have a higher black population in the southern states, making us more accepting to a mixed culture. We are all just people, for pete's sake.
You will encounter less racial issues here, than where you are right now, I assure you. And, you will be welcome here.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,085,769 times
[quote=RCL;64288]I agree with you, sweethome and many of the other posters here. I think the problem that's not being addressed is (1) inadequate law enforcement (both domestically and along the borders) and (2) law enforcement simply not doing their job when they see crimes or they are reported (whether apathetic or just plain corrupt), and (3) a prison system that does little, if anything, to actually re-habilitate people who have committed crimes.

I do believe that the reason there are more blacks in jail than whites is not because there are more black criminals, but because law enforcement is more inclined to be lenient with whites. If you have a white kid out on a drunken frenzy and he relieves himself on the front of the neighbor's house, and someone takes a pic or a video, right away that gets posted on the college humor sites...and the neighbor whose house it is may be upset about it, but they will just say "Kids will be kids" and then either clean it up themselves or make the kids come back (if they can find them).

I was an equal opportunity policeman... the color didnt matter the offense did. Crooks and dirtbags come in all races sizes colors and genders... and with equal zeal I dealt with them...

I happen to be white.. I worked the ghetto of south central L.A. because I wanted to.. and in the end of my career I worked Malibu because I wanted to

If you were white in a rental car in the ghetto at 2 am you got stopped.. if you were black in a lowrider in malibu at 2 am you got stopped

Minorities fill our jails because they create a disproportionate amount of crimes, (and crime perpetrated among/upon themselves), they have less access to quality legal representation, and for the zillion other social ills and reasons not created by policeman...

We are lucky here in America.. call and a policeman in a black and white shows up to protect you.. call and a firetruck shows up to save you.. you can go to a church and not be arrested,,, speak your mind and not be killed... have a cross burned in your lawn and have multiple agenices investigate and prosecute

Apathy in law enforcement... not exactly... my house payment is on the line everytime I put the handcuffs on someone.. and I have to be right all the time.. theres no grey areas taking someones life and liberty away...look no further than cases like Rodney King... whatever you think about that idiot.. whether you think he did or didnt justify having that amount of force used upon him... dont you think that might change your attitude about your job... no.. not apathy... its called being smart

In a professional law enforcement agency racists are identified and weeded out.. if the racism is systemic... well... then look in the mirror because we are all part of it. Its too easy and simplistic to say any one thing is the cause of social ills or racism.

We are looking at Ark. for the quality of life... and for like minded people and values... I worked in L.A for the job( personal life was difficult at best)... I embraced multiculturalism by default not necessarily because I wanted to... but after 25 years I realize I dont want to live with ANY cultures that dont embrace American values.. and the pursuit of the American dream... I dont want to live in Mexico.. Africa... China.. or a host of other countries... and I am not interested in those peoples overwhelming our system trying to CHANGE it for the worse. I wouldnt expect to bring California values to Arkansas and be accepted... bring Ameican values with me.. Ill do just fine...

Last edited by notmeofficer; 01-13-2007 at 06:37 AM..

Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,673 times
I bet you didn't expect so many 'insights' did you?
Yes, there is the headquarters for the KKK here...yes there are a fair supply of red-necks who swear the 'South's Gonna Do It Again'. I think most don't remember that the South was fighting to keep their slaves...they just need a 'cause' to beat their chests for.
I was born in the south but have never been racist. I remember seeing the water fountains in Birmingham Alabama that said 'Colored and White'. I was curious as to what color the colored water was!
I live in Flippin...just east of Yellville. I love it here. I moved here in 2001 from the Cherokee Indian Reservation in North Carolina. I had the same questions before I moved there, being the ****** that I am. It was not unlike anyone who moves into an area and is in the minority. You learn from the journey...not the destination.

If you like this area...come on down! There are a lot of people living here that came from Chicago (Bull Shoals has a high concentration)...you won't be isolated at all. So, you are of Hispanic descent...who cares? I certainly don't and the locals have enough going on with their own lives to be concerned about you & your history. Find you a place and introduce yourself to the shop keepers and others you might encounter on a daily basis. Just jump in & start paddling! It's great down here. There are a lot of descent musicians around here too. Yellville has 'Music on the Square' during the Summer. It's a street dance. The band I'm in plays there (thecoolbeenz.com) once or twice in the Summer. Bring your cooler and a lawn chair. Just off the square is a little Mexican place called the Burro Loco...it's always busy...
If you still play & think you might want to play Branson...that's also an option.
If you come this way check out our web site for our schedule & stop by & see us!!

Best of luck!

Last edited by Teribaby; 01-14-2007 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-16-2007, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,674 times
my great great great ancenstors moved to Arkansas. They are the reason i live here now. I have been to many places Countries, and once lived on an island in the Pacific. I have Befriended many Cultures and Racist. I Think Arkansas is Gods Country and Most Arkansans wonderful generous people, even when most of us just get by. I have also been to Chicago and my advice, Come, do what in life makes you happy and not to be judged by others. It is Truly wonderful living here...And in my opinion You are much safer in Arkansas Spiritualy and Physically. Have a good day.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:35 PM

14 posts, read 38,319 times
Default Say What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjessy View Post
my great great great ancenstors moved to Arkansas. They are the reason i live here now. I have been to many places Countries, and once lived on an island in the Pacific. I have Befriended many Cultures and Racist. I Think Arkansas is Gods Country and Most Arkansans wonderful generous people, even when most of us just get by. I have also been to Chicago and my advice, Come, do what in life makes you happy and not to be judged by others. It is Truly wonderful living here...And in my opinion You are much safer in Arkansas Spiritualy and Physically. Have a good day.
Did you mean "many cultures and "races" (sic "racists")?

Dave

Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 PM

79 posts, read 211,837 times
You know for those who find the term redneck offensive they should really speak up and boycott and or whatever it takes to cool the usage of that word out. I.E. : Jeff Foxworthy(Red Neck Comedy Tour), Clothing companies, and many other outlets that use that term to capitalize on.
I did not realize that white people found that word offensive, but you learn something new everyday.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:20 PM

25 posts, read 135,804 times
Default Cincinnati is racist

Remember the riot back in 2001? The race relation in Cincinnati Ohio is worse than the south. Lots of Racial tensions. I could be wrong.

Last edited by Machine; 01-22-2007 at 11:41 PM..

Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,672 times
You should check out Mountain Home, AR. Pop about 15,000. lakes, rivers, a very beautiful place. A small town nearby, where I grew up, is Norfork, most people there will have open arms for any person, no matter ethnic background. Fayetteville Benton area is expensive, Wal-mart's begginings! but it's nice.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas