Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:26 PM

144 posts, read 935,508 times

Advertisements

I find it funny how people here in San Diego so easily point out how we are not racist and the entire south is. But wait, let's look at that again. How many black people live north of La Jolla, south of Oceanside and west of the 15? Not too many. I only know one black person and that's my Karate instructor. The fact of the matter is that Southern California is diverse but extremely segregated. Nobody wants black people on their street, that means crime. So they are confined to south east San Diego and other parts that the wealthy, white people from North county consider "off limits." Hispanics live in north county, but they are confined to clearly designated hispanic sections (****ter than white areas) if they have homes or run-down apartment buildings if they are not so lucky.

We claim we're liberal, but we really aren't. At least in the South black and white people interact with each other!

Old 12-10-2006, 05:23 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,093 times
The U.S. head office for the Knights of the K.K.K. is in Arkansas. That should tell you something.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:34 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
First of all, I'd love to see some proof that the KKK's head office is in Arkansas. Second, even if it is, it means nothing overall.

The initial question, is Arkansas racist? Of course, just like the other 49 states. You have whites who are racist against blacks. Blacks who are racist against whites. Whites against Mexicans, Mexicans against whites. Blacks against Mexicans, Mexicans against blacks. I haven't even started adding in other races yet, get the picture though?

If you think you can live in a state where racism isn't prevelant, its time to stop dreaming. There are plenty of racists and they come from every single race out there.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:23 AM

113 posts, read 570,599 times
In Harrison, Arkansas the KKK has adopted a highway. You can see the signs on that mile of highway. This is where the headquarters is rumored to be.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,093 times
Default Head offies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
First of all, I'd love to see some proof that the KKK's head office is in Arkansas. Second, even if it is, it means nothing overall.

The initial question, is Arkansas racist? Of course, just like the other 49 states. You have whites who are racist against blacks. Blacks who are racist against whites. Whites against Mexicans, Mexicans against whites. Blacks against Mexicans, Mexicans against blacks. I haven't even started adding in other races yet, get the picture though?

If you think you can live in a state where racism isn't prevelant, its time to stop dreaming. There are plenty of racists and they come from every single race out there.
If you want to know if it's in Arkansas look at there web site.

Yes it is in Harrison Arkansas. want proof.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 17,886 times
I've found the posts in this thread very interesting, so I thought I would contribute to the discussion. I read the following news story on CNN.com today. I will only paste the first paragraph since it is relative to this discussion. Sadly, racism is still alive and well. Perhaps things haven't changed very much after all.

The headline reads: Racial Insults Flew between Jurors.

Several jurors who convicted a black trash collector in the slaying of a white fashion writer made disparaging racial remarks during deliberations, which at one point became so heated two jurors had to be separated.
"The statements clearly indicate that these jurors were racially biased against the defendant before deliberations ever started," attorney Robert George said.

Isn't it terrible when such overt racial prejudices taint a state's legal system? You would think that random citizens chosen for jury duty could put their disgusting racial biases aside for awhile to ensure a fair trail.
Wait, I forgot to point something out. This didn't happen in Arkansas, Mississippi, or Georgia. This incident took place in Barnstable, Massachusetts.

I thoroughly enjoy reading message boards on this site. It is fun to read a poster's descriptions of cities they frequently live or visit. As a native Mississippian, there is one thing I've noticed that really irritates me about these boards. After you finish reading my post, check for yourself. You’ll see. On every single Southern state's message board, there are several posts that read exactly like this: I am a (Black, African-American, Hispanic, Mixed-Race) person who is looking to move to (choose any Southern city or state) soon. I have (heard, read) some very negative things about this state. Will my (husband, wife, children) be (beaten, treated poorly, shunned, chased out of the community) if we choose to live there?

Racism is a problem in society all over the world. It is just as prevalent in Northern states (if not more so) as it is in Southern states. I listed the example to prove my point. I travel through Arkansas once or twice a year. In my opinion, it is a beautiful state.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:54 AM

58 posts, read 282,687 times
Default Well stated

The last post was well done. It's everywhere and always will be. That is the unfortunate truth. No different here in Arkansas, then it is in California or New York.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:01 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
I'm a native Arkansan now residing in the NW suburbs of Baltimore. Since moving here, I've seen more overt and obvious racism than I ever did living in Arkansas. I'm from the Harrison area and, yes, the grand dragon of the KKK lives very close to there. But I never, in over 20 years, met anyone in Harrison who was a member of that organization or that I honestly thought would be less welcoming of a person of color than anyone else. In my personal opinion, the only true prejudice of the run of the mill Arkansan is someone who moves in with pretentions and expectations that their new neighbors are simpleton hayseeds. There's no easier way to get run out of town than to approach Arkansans with that type of mentality.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:07 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
Benzboy,

I came from North San Diego Co. to Oklahoma. I agree with you in regards to the racism in CA. In CA people are "politically correct" so you don't hear people making racial comments, so things seem rather peaceful in that way and this causes you to believe that there is no racism there. But in most cities of CA you do have the neighborhoods that are segregated to a large extent.

I lived in Escondido for a few years, and I liked it much better than Del Mar, where I had lived before. I didn't like LaJolla either. Everything just felt too perfect there. Escondido had a large Hispanic population that I liked. Now I live in Cherokee Co in Oklahoma where there is a large population of Indians. I like this, and I like it here, but I wish that we had a a larger varieity of races. Not that I am complaining, because I love it here. I have not as yet heard any racial comments, but I have not been here long enough, and I hope that I never do.

I moved here because I didn't want to live again in an openly racist State, and I have a feeling that I would love Arkansas. Today I am going to Fayetteville to celebrate Christmas by shopping, eating out, and seeing how they have decorated their town. I hope I am not disappointed. I think I would have loved to have lived in Fayetteville after my friend telling me all about it,
but there was racism to consider.

For me I guess I just like it shoved under the rug so I wouldn't have to hear about it on a daily basis, and this doesn't speak of all southerners. I just didn't like living in the south and having southerners use the "n" word to my face as if it were acceptable to me. I am speaking of Mississippi and the panhandle of Florida.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:05 PM

22 posts, read 146,360 times
Cool I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post

For me I guess I just like it shoved under the rug so I wouldn't have to hear about it on a daily basis, and this doesn't speak of all southerners. I just didn't like living in the south and having southerners use the "n" word to my face as if it were acceptable to me. I am speaking of Mississippi and the panhandle of Florida.
I have to agree with Jessaka about the Florida Panhandle. I grew up in California, have lived in Hawaii, New York, and British Columbia as well, and have travelled all over the country. I have heard the 'n' word used more (way, way more) in my seven years in the Panhandle then all the other places I have lived combined.

I agree with the posters who state that racism is prevalant throughout the country, and not just the south. It's just that in my experience people make less of an attempt to hide their racist views where I live now. I don't know if it's that way in Arkansas, but I can see how a person of color would have some reservations about moving to a state where the headquarters of the KKK is supposedly located.

God bless,
Phil

Last edited by rottysofpdl; 12-18-2006 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas