Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:39 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times

Advertisements

Define irony.

I define it as a reply about racism, a writer starting a paragraph as a statement against racism and prejudicial thought, and then ending it with a statement to the effect that Arkansas is "full of bigoted rednecks".

That ladies and gentleman would describe half the replies here.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 22,469 times
good point, and i am probly guilty of it too, but we will never know, because my post is gone, and i have no idea what i put in it in the first playce

Old 10-31-2006, 01:38 PM

90 posts, read 352,867 times
Look, I know the concern this guy has cause i had the same one before I came here. I am Cuban and look a little dark skinned. I moved here 6 months ago today from Miami, FL. I now live in Rogers, AR and too tell you the truth, yes, there is still some racism in Arkansas but its not to the extent the rest of the country thinks it is. When I moved here I drove thru most of the state and stopped at some spots. Some people were nice, some weren't. And even here in NWA I have had occasions where I have come across people that give me bad looks. But they are few and far between and usually they are older people that are used to the way things were. This area is very updated. Yes, they have indoor plumbing and yes they wear shoes. lol. There are alot of hispanics here and for the most part everyone is very nice. Some of the nicest people I have ever come across. The housing is cheaper than most of the country, especially NY, Chicago or Miami. Crime is not a worry, the weather is great and the views are breathtaking. So once and for all. Arkansas is what you make of it. If you come looking for rasism you will blame every person in a bad mood for being racist. If you come looking for a change of scenery and a new life, then Arkansas is great!

Old 11-05-2006, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,534 times
Smile Is Arkansas really racist? Not really

I know exactly where Yellville is, I lived in Arkansas for years and was born and raised there. It's a very nice place to work, live, and enjoy good company and nature, at its best.

It has a diversity of people of all races and of ancestery backgrounds. There is a growing population of hispanic and latino populations in Arkansas, and in fact, Arkansas had more hispanics migrate there last year per population, than any other state. Most of Arkansas is rural, the largest population is located in the Little Rock area, or the Northwest corner of Arkansas in Benton and Washington counties. The northwest corner is the very best area and the most prosperous area of arkansas and has more growth and jobs than any other part of the state. Rogers, Bentonvile, Springdale, Fayettville, Bella Vista are all very good area's to live for any race to locate in. Yellville is more rural, very small town, close to Bull Shoals Lake and not to far from Harrison or Lake Norfork, and Mountain Home. Is Arkansas racists? No ! Just a small group of folks from all races , with small minds, that have been taught prejudism, and hatred from their parents or peers that don't know any better. So I wouldn't really worry about them Moderator cut: derogatory terms or anyone else, Arkansans as whole are a pretty laid back and acceptable group of people. Hope you enjoy living in Yellville, it's beautiful,and if you move there, be sure a go out to eat at the front porch cafe, it has a great buffet!
Frank Richardson - Native Arkansan

Old 11-11-2006, 06:46 PM

4 posts, read 31,324 times
Yes, Arkansans are racist! I was relocated here by my employer about 6 months ago from the north. I have a bi-racial family, white & black and what an experience this has been. Don't get me wrong. There are good people here. My family has been able to make friends; though I will admit most of the friends we have made are not orignially from AR. My family can get some very strong reactions where ever we go. The reactions are not just from one race however. In fact, the reactions we get from the black society seems stronger than what we receive from the white society here. Coming from an area where people are people no matter what their race or even sexual orienation, this type of attitude has been a huge cultural shock. AR however, is beautiful. I will also admit at this point my family has the choice of returning home or staying in AR. We have chosen to stay.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 31,612 times
For the most part Arkansas is not racist. However there are strong religious views opposing Bi-racial relationships AND homosexuality. My husband is white although he has American Indian ancestry and is often mistaken for being hispanic, he has never been negatively affected by this. Persons who are ambitious, career-minded, and desire a uncomplicated way of life should not find any opposition in Arkansas living.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 31,324 times
Default Is Ar Racist

The statement "For the most part Arkansas is not racist. However there are strong religious views opposing Bi-racial relationships AND homosexuality." Is to say that Arkansans are racist.

Many have used religion as a reasoning for their racist views.... the KKK etc. Co-existing, living in the same area, same schools, de-segregating does not mean racism does not exist.

By the way, I am female married to man, just so we're clear on my life style. However, I am from an area where people are free to be who they are and what they are.

Comments that racism exists everywhere is true. However, there are areas in which it is socially accepted and many places where it is not. There are many places that a racist person would be more the minority rather than the majority.

To lead someone to think that racism doesn't strongly exist in AR, to have them relocate themselves or their family to this area without a true understanding of what they will encounter seems wrong.

All that said, AR is beautiful and there are benefits such as the cost of living and more to relocating to this state. IF the person, particularly a person of color has a true understanding of what they face and are willing to deal with these issues.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:23 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy2674 View Post
Thanks dscogin,but reading certain stuff on the internet is scaring me away.
It's ironic that these "bible-belt" states would be so contaminated with racism and discrimination.
Even those who have answered me here have been clear about not worrying If I'm light-skinned,so they're admitting to that racism.
It's too bad too because the place is beautiful.
Oh well,que sera,sera....
Ya, I saw that comment as well and went hmmmm...

Old 11-20-2006, 09:14 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,800 times
Quote:
I'm a single man living in chicago right now and thinking of possibly moving to arkansas in the near future,possibly Yellville or close to that area.I love country life and have lived in the country before.
I look white but am of hispanic origins and have heard some nasty things about southern states in general so I'm wondering if I would be trated fairly in a town like Yellville or nearabouts.
Wanna make sure I have a fair chance of that before I take further steps.
Any info welcome.
One thing is for sure;
Arkansas is NO WHERE as hateful as Chicaco...
And always Remember: Whatever you look for you;ll find...

Old 11-22-2006, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 10,532 times
Quote:
I'm a single man living in chicago right now and thinking of possibly moving to arkansas in the near future,possibly Yellville or close to that area.I love country life and have lived in the country before.
I look white but am of hispanic origins and have heard some nasty things about southern states in general so I'm wondering if I would be trated fairly in a town like Yellville or nearabouts.
Wanna make sure I have a fair chance of that before I take further steps.
Any info welcome.
I moved here from Florida about a year ago. The ethnicity in that area was quite diverse. I have close friends who are different races etc. Would I tell them to move to Yellville? NO! NEVER! It is still "good old boy" territory. Now that is changing but change is slow in some places. Yellville is one of them. The closer you get to a bigger city (a big city here is nothing like an urban area you might associate with the word "city")) the more you will find open minded people. If you are looking for a more liberal area, Fayetteville, Benton etc. are more along that order. Buying a piece of land in Yellville as an investment wouldn't hurt. I'm thinking that in 5 years or so it will be different there. Live there? I don't know about a "fair chance"??? We are near Mountain Home. It is pretty "white-bread-bred". There are Asians in town and a number of Mexican restaurants. The phone book has a few hispanic names. I see that there some foreign docs at the hospital, middle eastern mostly. Times are changing and places will change and adapt. It depends on what you do for a living and how much you will need to depend on the locals. Mountain Home is a wealthy town with a lot of transplants. It's a good place to have a lot of money. It is not a good place to earn a lot unless you have a business or a career. Yellville! NO! Not yet! Other areas . . . sure. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas