Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM

20 posts, read 84,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They look like pale, miniature versions of their parents. Theyre absolutely harmless, despite their horrid appearance.
Steve-o, are you an entomologist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
You might be best to direct message Steve-O, and you can do that by clicking on his name (on one of his posts).

I too have a small dog however I'm in Sedona and there are fewer scorpions here (or so it seems). Remember if the scorpions can get in your dogs bed they can get in yours . We have got black widows but I haven't noticed any in my house. Anyhow everyone manages to live here and not get stung regularly so you should be ok. I'd ask a local vet about the dog.

You can also do a search on Scorpions using the search link above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphonygreen View Post
I am not really familiar with this site or how to use it just yet, hence my post here to SteveO or anyone for that matter that can help. I will be moving to Arizona at the end of February with little dog and the honey in tow. I am particularly interested in learning more about maricopa county.
But.... I am concerned with the bugs/critters (hence my wanting to talk with SteveO ) who seems to be so educated in this topic. I feel that we do not have all these critters in Massachusetts and would just like a heads up as to what we should watch out for to be safe. Our little dog is only 7lbs. and we won't let him go outside alone but we still need to know what to be careful of. Is there a kit or something if you get stung by a scorpion or is going to the hospital the only option you have? And what about the black widows? Any advice or direction in learning more would greatly be appreciated. Oh yeah, (just in case this would help) our little dog sleeps in his cage at night (it's left open of course) but he has blankets for bedding and I saw that you mentioned scorpions will hide in towels so... what would your suggestion be with our little guy for safety at night. I really don't want him in my bed but.. I don't want him hurt either.
Thanks,
Sym

Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,362 times
omg i'm moving to Arizona from NY in 2 weeks and what i read on spiders scorpion's and snakes i think im gonna have a heart attack we don't have things like that here in NY. please tell me these creatures can NOT get into homes, apartments and buildings i really don't want to wake up to one of these things nor do i want to see them at work or shopping. i already came up with the solution the first thing im buying is a vaccume to suck up any creature that comes in my home, im planing on a dyson i hear they have the best suction going. also can you provide me with a phone number so i can call someone for a removal, im so scared now

Old 08-14-2009, 10:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty2 View Post
omg i'm moving to Arizona from NY in 2 weeks and what i read on spiders scorpion's and snakes i think im gonna have a heart attack we don't have things like that here in NY. please tell me these creatures can NOT get into homes, apartments and buildings i really don't want to wake up to one of these things nor do i want to see them at work or shopping. i already came up with the solution the first thing im buying is a vaccume to suck up any creature that comes in my home, im planing on a dyson i hear they have the best suction going. also can you provide me with a phone number so i can call someone for a removal, im so scared now
You won't see a snake in your house - or likely anywhere else unless you hike in the desert and even then it'd be a rare thing - but you might see a scorpion. We had two this week, one in the garage in one in the house after months of not seeing one. If you do see one, step on it (with shoes). By the time you get your vacuum it will have gone back into hiding.

And take what you read with a grain of salt (or a tranquilizer). Steve-o's commentary on AZ critters can be informative, but like all of his posts on AZ, there is the little twist to it that puts down the state. His bug posts always exaggerate both the frequency and the severity of an encounter.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty2 View Post
omg i'm moving to Arizona from NY in 2 weeks and what i read on spiders scorpion's and snakes i think im gonna have a heart attack we don't have things like that here in NY.
Good thing you haven't read anything about the "Killer Bees". They're really scary!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:35 PM

41 posts, read 178,053 times
Oh snap. I've been looking at AZ for college but I hadn't really considered the creepy crawlies. I'm a bit scared of spiders and scorpions and the like...OK what about like upper-level apartments in Phoenix. If I lived on, say, the 17th floor of a Phoenix apartment complex, do you think it's likely that I'd see creatures like these inside my home? Do they live in the urban areas or just the unpopulated desert areas?

Also, Steve-o, just to be clear, the picture you showed us of the scorpion with the fat-ass tail that killed all those people...that lives in Morocco right? You wouldn't find one of those in AZ I hope...

Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,520 times
hey guys! moving to arizona from new york ummm scottsdale area i have a 4yr old and were moving to a home with a pool...so will this attract scary critters and im wicked scared ill wake up with a trantula on my pillow. can somebody tell me if its really that bad please? is arizona like infested with scorpions and trantulas and if so do they get into homes alot and should i be worried about my daughter and pug? lol

Old 07-05-2010, 06:29 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jng836 View Post
hey guys! moving to arizona from new york ummm scottsdale area i have a 4yr old and were moving to a home with a pool...so will this attract scary critters and im wicked scared ill wake up with a trantula on my pillow. can somebody tell me if its really that bad please? is arizona like infested with scorpions and trantulas and if so do they get into homes alot and should i be worried about my daughter and pug? lol

lol define infested. We have them yes. If you're informed then you're prepared. You just have to be smart about it. I've already taught my son not to touch spiders, and when he tries to pick up a bug he uses toilet paper (which was cute, but I told him to get me lol) and he isn't even four yet. Black Widows have a messy tell tale web. Destroy the web and spray around your house, shouldn't be a problem. I haven't seen a scorpion in a few years, and the last one I saw was dying from being swept up with a broom outside. They're hear, but again, just be smart about it.

My bigger problem is with earwigs, I have no idea how they're getting into the house. They die eventually, and they're harmless, but it's still annoying. We actually have a few families of praying mantis around, which is really cool.

No need to freak out about the bugs and snakes etc... Just read up on the stuff and you'll be fine. Teach your son about general safety. Your dog shouldn't have any problems either.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Default Comments on the contributions of "steve-o" re snakes etc

The contributions of steve-o to this thread IMO have been quite helpful to me and i'm sure to many others.

Over the last 5 years I have been in AZ during Oct, Nov, Dec Jan Feb March April June and July for a total of approx 23 months. Areas include about 9 counties: some along the border w/ Mexico; others in the central portion of the state and a few in the north central portion. I always have my bird dogs with me, I have had them in desert areas not only for hunting in the fall and winter months, but also in the summer for training and exercise........much of it is known "snake country', thus my deep level of interest in Rattle Snakes of AZ and the potential for serious problems, should one of my dogs or myself receive a dose of venom. My advice to anyone who values their dog(s)....have them put through a "Snake Avoidance Training Class", by a professional of proven ability. As a back up- I also have my dog inoculated with a "Snake Vaccine" every year......it is not a preventative or a cure, but will give the owner about (8) more hours to get the dog to a Vet if he has been bitten.

One point I'd like to add, that I don't think steve-o mentioned (I may have missed it), but if not: Of the 13 known specie (per ASU, the BLM & Az Dept of F&G) of Rattle Snakes in AZ, one (the Green Mohave) has venom that is classified as a "neurotoxin"---which attacks the nervous system of the victim. The others have venom known as a "hemo toxin". The (wet) bite from a Green Mohave is 20 times more deadly (Toxic) than the bite from a Western Diamond Back. And they look very similiar, except for the slight " green hue" of the Mohave. I have been told by members of the 3 sources stated above that a wet bite from a Green Mohave....if not treated (ASAP) with the appropriate anti venom......will in almost all cases.....result in the death of the victim.

Cochise county is known to have a larger number of Green Mohave snakes as compared to some other counties.

In my opinion...and this is strictly MY opinion......If you, some one you know or one of your dogs is bitten by a snake, I would (if at all possible) kill the snake (make sure it is dead and put in a metal container) and take it with you to the hospital......so that it can be identified as to type......thus ensureing that the appropriate type of "Antivenom" is administered.

......steve-o....... If you disagree with any of the above, please comment.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
A gf of mine bought a foreclosure and it was infested with tics. So yes, we have tics here. You don't worry about them everyday, just seasonally and if you have pets. I've pulled a few off dogs in the past.
I know someone asked if we had tics, I think in general tics are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona