Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:47 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,686 times

Advertisements

Here in middle Tennessee, bugs are becoming more and more distressing for me as a mom. We live in a rural area, which is wonderful to look at and nice for the kids to be able to roam around in (we have 20 acres currently). But it seems that the insects are getting worse and worse! They swarm around you at all times of the day and the ticks are awful! My boys are constantly getting them on their necks, underarms, and privates. It's so scary! I can't count the number of times I've pulled ticks off of them w/ tweezers this year, dousing them w/ alcohol, and watched as the boys itched relentlessly for the next week and a half. This is WITH Deep Woods Off. I douse them w/ the stuff on all their exposed surfaces but I think the ticks are getting on them anyway and simply crawling to an area that does not have the repellent on it. Since I've been told by the doctor never to apply the stuff to their groin area, I have to deal with it. Last week, I rushed my 4 yr old to the doctor because his ******* had swollen to 4 times the size! I've never been so scared of anything. It looked like it was going to burst! And I'm told by my doctor that this is a NORMAL reaction to a tick bite...not even an allergic reaction...just normal. Then, when the days are hot and they can't play outside much, it would be nice for them to be able to go out and play in the evening. But the mosquitos are an issue then. Fortunately, the OFF does work better on mosquitos but it's such a shame for my boys to have to be doused w/ that stuff every day. I'm starting to worry about side effects.

As you can tell, I'm fed up w/ this aspect of country living. I love Tennesse, I've lived here most of my life, but I'm starting to want a change...or at least to try one out.

What is the bug situation in the desert? Will I need to have these fears when we relocate? Rattlesnakes are a piece of cake for me. Black Widows and Brown Recluses are easy to avoid. But this other problem...wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 AM

Hmmm, it seems the site has blocked the clinical term I posted above for a part of the male anatomy. Starts with an 's'...ends w/ an 'm'.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
The desert southwest has a lot less bugs, I can tell you that. However, there are still mosquitos in areas, and reported West Nile cases. Ticks occur in the SW, too, but NOTHING like down in the southern states. From the sound of it, you just might find absolute peace in the desert SW.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The desert southwest has a lot less bugs, I can tell you that. However, there are still mosquitos in areas, and reported West Nile cases. Ticks occur in the SW, too, but NOTHING like down in the southern states. From the sound of it, you just might find absolute peace in the desert SW.

Thanks Steve-O. I am certain we'll find relief from what we're used to, that's for sure!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Thanks Steve-O. I am certain we'll find relief from what we're used to, that's for sure!
Yes, you should indeed. I lived in TN for awhile and know exactly what youre talking about. Between the mosquitos, ticks, flying roaches, etc, I had enough myself. The desert SW has less bugs, but more dangerous ones.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:07 AM

like what,for instance?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
like what,for instance?
Well, for infants, elderly, and those with weakened immune systems, the bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda) can be deadly. To a healthy adult, you will experience some horrible pain that can sometimes take months to completely extinguish. Cockroaches remain a problem in many areas of the Valley, and carry diseases, too. There are also the giant centipedes, which are rare, but bite like a pitbull (Scolopendra heros heros and Scolopendra heros arizonensis). Black widows are potentially lethal, like the bark scorpion (Latrodectus hesperus), as well. There are some brown recluse relatives in the Valley (Loxoceles deserta) that have nasty cytotoxic venom that can cause nasty lesions to develop. Keep in mind that there are over 25 species of scorpion in Arizona, dozens of rattlesnake species too. Just keep a watchful eye and youll be ok.

Oooh, also the entire state is now colonized by Africanized bees ("killer bees"), so read up on those as well. Bear, mountain lions and javalina's also inhabit many areas of the state, but your chances of seeing those are slight. Javalinas are very common in areas and can gore you if they feel threatened, so keep an eye out for you, your kids and your pets. Coyotes are also a big problem in the state for some, so watch your pets at night.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:21 AM

I've been reading up on the scorpions and bees. They seem to be less insidious than the insects here-more like spiders and wasps are here. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I've been reading up on the scorpions and bees. They seem to be less insidious than the insects here-more like spiders and wasps are here. Thanks for the info.
Pretty much!

Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
You can find houses here with out scorpions you just have to ask around. Other wise the rest don't bother me. I don't like the scorps because like you said it's a pain in the butt to always look and check for the kids. Killer bee's, uh, I know they hurt people every year and I have seen them swarm but I always go inside so I've never been hurt. I think you would like it here better. It's not the best though. I asked about bugs on the Rhode Island thread and they really had none for most of the year with the snow and cold and then just some little ones in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona