Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,086,806 times

Advertisements

Who would even compare the deep south to Phoenix, that's a given. I'd argue with anything north of Virginia though as far as time of heat. You might have a really bad heat wave or two but as far as extent of heat I'd vote for Phoenix. I'd vote for mid west cold and snow storms as the worst as well. Oh, and I believe they have the worst springs as well being tornado season and all. You'd have to be one tough cookie to live in those places. The Mid-West and Southern States seem to have the worst weather in my opinion.
We have the heat but nothing else at all. Our storms get laughed at on here by other people, it gets rather embarrassing. I am always bragging about our lack of natural dis. Now the man man stuff, ha ha, no comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Who would even compare the deep south to Phoenix, that's a given. I'd argue with anything north of Virginia though as far as time of heat. You might have a really bad heat wave or two but as far as extent of heat I'd vote for Phoenix. I'd vote for mid west cold and snow storms as the worst as well. Oh, and I believe they have the worst springs as well being tornado season and all. You'd have to be one tough cookie to live in those places. The Mid-West and Southern States seem to have the worst weather in my opinion.
We have the heat but nothing else at all. Our storms get laughed at on here by other people, it gets rather embarrassing. I am always bragging about our lack of natural dis. Now the man man stuff, ha ha, no comment.
And; with the exception of the Norfolk area, Virginia's winters are foul-----on top of the humid summers.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
The Mid-West and Southern States seem to have the worst weather in my opinion
Midwest winters, yes. Midwest summer, fall and spring? No. You cant compare Chicago's weather to, say, Atlanta's... the deep south and upper midwest weather is like night and day... kinda like PHX compared to Flagstaff.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,582,415 times
I figure once we move we will visit Tennessee in the fall and spring-so as to enjoy the beautiful foliage. I'm sure visits will be sufficient to satisfy my need for 'green'. Plus, if we want to see green, we can drive a few hours-right?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Midwest winters, yes. Midwest summer, fall and spring? No. You cant compare Chicago's weather to, say, Atlanta's... the deep south and upper midwest weather is like night and day... kinda like PHX compared to Flagstaff.
I was talking mid west. I guess I don't consider the lake states to be mid west but some are. I was not including Indiana, Ill, Wis, Pen, I was just talking Virginia down. I think the weather anywhere in the winter is bad but from watching the tele I see more ice storms and freakyness in the middle of the state. Not as high up as you are steve-o. Your like us just flip flopped. Great summer, fall, spring, cold winter though. If you like winter sports like I do you wouldn't mind it. Just like if you love to swim here you probably won't mind the heat.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; with the exception of the Norfolk area, Virginia's winters are foul-----on top of the humid summers.
Yeah, I don't hear much good news about Virginia's weather thats for sure. It's either a heat wave or a snow storm. lol But to be honest I've never been there. I've been to the great lake states, loved it and it was in winter, but I had a blast on the snow mobiles. I've been up to Seatle and it was way too soggy for me, but beautiful. I've been back east to New England, love the summers there on the beach, Cape Coddin, the food rocks, miss it! I've of course been out west, and to TN in the south. Way to godly for me, talk about MEGGA churches, but they were having a heat wave and I wasn't that hot. I figured it was because I just came from Phoenix but everyone there was complaining about the heat the whole weekend. Oh, and it smelled so good there, like flowers and alfalfa. But I don't doubt it gets hot and humid, I see the news and I believe it. Humidity doesn't bother me that bad but to honest again I haven't lived with it for long periods of time. I'm sure it would get to me given some time. I swim a lot out here so the heat doesn't get to me as much unless I am out in the car going to and from places. Then it really gets on my nerves. Now that I don't have any little babies it's a lot better. What I hate is the length we go with no change. Everyday, hot and sunny! I get so sick of hot and sunny! Sounds retarded I know but I like change. I love monsoon when we get one.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,023,721 times
I lived for 3 months in Georgia and it was beautiful, but Southern humidity is worse than AZ's dry heat. HOWEVER, AZ's dry heat sucks the life out of you and I hate it! The dry heat makes your skin parched and flakey and cracked, your lips chapped and sore, your hair like straw. Not to mention the never-ending and oppressive dust. Actually, I hate extreme heat period.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,521,111 times
Three things I will not miss about TN: humidity, ticks, and tornadoes. Biggest thing I worry about in Arizona is scorpions and how to keep my dog from "investigating" a scorpion or a rattler. I'm still trying to get over my fear of scorpions, but not doing a very good job of it. I hate being scared of something that probably won't do me any harm.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I'm still trying to get over my fear of scorpions, but not doing a very good job of it. I hate being scared of something that probably won't do me any harm.
Hey, at least you try! If you want to get over your fear very quickly, buy one and keep one as a pet! Seriously! Might sound a little weird, but once you have one in your care and watch how it lives, etc, youll quickly overcome your fear and actually develop a bond with it. Trust me, I did it myself! Now I absolutely LOVE scorpions and even spend time in the wild observing them.

Speaking of scorpions, I had my AZ derert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) out last night for a little walk last night and made a short video of it.

*Click on pic to play*
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/illinoisnative/th_Deserthairycruisin.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,023,721 times
TNP: Don't worry about your dog and scorpions but do watch out with Rattlers. I had one come into my acre several years ago and struck my Irish Setter. He survived it but it was rough and expensive and his foot was never quite the same. Now I import all the King Snakes and Bull Snakes I can find to keep the Rattlers away...so far, so good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona