Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:47 PM

41 posts, read 215,947 times

Advertisements

I was in Houston from October 07 through June 1, 08, and didn't have the "pins and needles" sensation. For me, humidity is so refreshing. I love it, but can't move due to my wife's respitory condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:33 PM

31 posts, read 133,229 times
Another plus of low humidity is how effective using water evaporation for cooling is.

(Got to love how in 120 degrees how chilled you would get when you get out of your pool! )

But seriously, low humidity lets us get away with cheap cooling solutions other places can't even contemplate. I was working my landscape this weekend where it was getting real hot - turned the hose up and just let it spray all over the place. Didn't last long but it was refreshing.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Daddy View Post
Another plus of low humidity is how effective using water evaporation for cooling is.

(Got to love how in 120 degrees how chilled you would get when you get out of your pool! )

But seriously, low humidity lets us get away with cheap cooling solutions other places can't even contemplate. I was working my landscape this weekend where it was getting real hot - turned the hose up and just let it spray all over the place. Didn't last long but it was refreshing.
In the Low Desert; swampers are useless when it in 95F+ and the Dew Point is 55F+...........but, in places like Kingman, Yucca Valley (Ca) and Globe they work great. The latter three communities are above 3,000' in elevation.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In the Low Desert; swampers are useless when it in 95F+ and the Dew Point is 55F+...........but, in places like Kingman, Yucca Valley (Ca) and Globe they work great. The latter three communities are above 3,000' in elevation.
Toying with the idea of one of these for our place once we move down there. Sounds like it would work for us (4,200 feet elevation, average June high only 92 or so (91 in July, 85 in August), Average 3 days/year where it gets above 100 (barely). My only concern is in July/Aug when the average humidity is in the mid-50's.

What do you locals think?
Good for all but those 2 months (June humdity is 20, Sept is 40 so I would guess they SHOULDN'T be a problem)?

Ken

Old 06-21-2008, 11:03 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboD View Post
I am wondering if there is anyone out there experiencing the same negative effects of dry humidity. I suffer with skin cracking on my thumbs and fingers, heels, nasal passages drying up and bleeding. Adding insult to injury, when winter arrives my body feels like a zillion "pins and needles", mostly at night upon retiring.
I am a native New Orleanean (20 yrs) and lived in Florida ( East coast) for 30 yrs before venturing to Tucson. Last year I was in Shreveport and Houston and had zero problems.
I wish that I could have the positive experiences with low humidity that I am reading about. Oh well!
Unfortunately, that's how it is for me! I really love living in Scottsdale, (it's by far my favorite suburb to live in!) but I just can't handle the heat anymore. The winters are not warm enough to make up for the super hot summers for *me* so I'm hitting the road. Plus I'm a water person, so I really miss the beaches. Some people can handle the humidity (I can) and some people prefer the dry heat. It all just depends on what your body can handle.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboD View Post
I was in Houston from October 07 through June 1, 08, and didn't have the "pins and needles" sensation. For me, humidity is so refreshing. I love it, but can't move due to my wife's respitory condition.
Thank you for giving me hope that I won't have that feeling any more! It was reallly bad last year.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:18 PM

161 posts, read 692,999 times
Unfortunately you really do need to be vigilant about moisturizing your skin/skin care. The dry heat will do that to you. However I also have a problem with severe acne in humid places. I'd rather be dry.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
It hits 115F here in Phx today (Saturday) but only 3% humidity; in the shade it still felt cooler than Wash DC in the summer. Couple that with none of that wet snow/slush crap in the 'winters' here........

Old 06-24-2008, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,418 times
Default dsmiles

I lived most my life in CA and I now live in TN. Southwest, dry and cost of living high. Southeast humid, don't have to water grass (except for last summer), grow beautiful garden's. Plant life thrives here in TN, but I do miss the Southwest, especially family

Old 06-24-2008, 02:40 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Yeah with the current tick problem I'll do w/out the plant life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona