Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You have run a red light IF the light turns red before you cross the yellow line on the opposite side of the intersection.

Many people believe, incorrectly, that as long as they are in the intersection on a yellow light, they are OK
FWIW, I believe this is incorrect. In reading, ARS 28-645. Traffic control signal legend, the text is pretty clear that the violation occurs upon entering an intersection while red, not leaving it. Likewise, the Arizona Driver License Manual doesn't say anything about a light turning red while in the intersection being a violation either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 11:30 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlexisnexis View Post
Robotic speed detectors and cameras are a violation of our rights, they make mistakes and you have no defense because they are considered 100% accurate 100% of the time.
Also you drive differently at 4:00 am with noone on the road than you drive at rush hour.
A violation of your right to do what? Speed? Next please. You can challenge speeding tickets too and often if you were only going a couple of miles an hour over the limit they can't be bothered to fight the case so you get off. Unless you're going over 5mph over the limit (and it's pretty much fail safe that the camera won't be THAT innaccurate) you should be okay.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:42 PM

849 posts, read 2,921,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
FWIW, I believe this is incorrect. In reading, ARS 28-645. Traffic control signal legend, the text is pretty clear that the violation occurs upon entering an intersection while red, not leaving it. Likewise, the Arizona Driver License Manual doesn't say anything about a light turning red while in the intersection being a violation either.
Agree. In Florida, you are not running a red light if the light turns red and your vehicle has begun to enter the intersection. This means if your wheels are over the "limit line" or secondary crosswalk barrier, you can proceed through the intersection even if the light turns red. If you choose to stop at that point and your vehicle is in the intersection and the light is red, you can actually then be ticketed for careless driving, failing to obey a traffic control device, or even running the red light!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:46 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
Same thing in CA, and everywhere else I've lived. Didn't sound right which is why I looked it up.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:20 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Sorry Steve but, this bill was at the request of Law Enforcement in AZ - it seems many of these covers do, in fact, work according to law enforcement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Who knows? Why does the gov't do a lot of the things they do?
Nothing should obstruct the license plate. They maybe clear plastic material when they're new, but most of us here know about what happens to plastic in the brutal summer heat. All of the ones I've seen had discoloration, which made the plate a little tough to read, unless you got directly behind the vehicle while it was standing still.

It's also very tough to read through them at night, with the reflection of headlights.

I don't know why people waste their money on these things, sometimes it makes me wonder if that person had something to hide.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
You have run a red light IF the light turns red before you cross the yellow line on the opposite side of the intersection.

Many people believe, incorrectly, that as long as they are in the intersection on a yellow light, they are OK
Are you sure about that? Why I wonder is in many places and I thought that Az was one of them...........if your rear tires cleared the 'stop line' on a yellow before entering the intersection--------you did not 'technically' run a red light.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 AM

87 posts, read 298,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Are you sure about that? Why I wonder is in many places and I thought that Az was one of them...........if your rear tires cleared the 'stop line' on a yellow before entering the intersection--------you did not 'technically' run a red light.
Bear, I was talking with my son's attorney a few months ago, and he advised that legally you have ran the light if it goes red before you have cleared the intersection. However, normally there are allowances made in enforcement along the lines of what you said. The new red light cameras are going to create some issues in both how the law is written and how it is to be enforced. My personal take, is that it will be dependent on how hungry the responsible local government is for revenue.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:07 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
Bear, I was talking with my son's attorney a few months ago, and he advised that legally you have ran the light if it goes red before you have cleared the intersection. However, normally there are allowances made in enforcement along the lines of what you said. The new red light cameras are going to create some issues in both how the law is written and how it is to be enforced. My personal take, is that it will be dependent on how hungry the responsible local government is for revenue.
We are on essentially the same page here............that bit about being 'red lighted' once in the intersection (assuming it was clear all the way across prior to entry) smacks of flagrant entrapment.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:39 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

I don't know why people waste their money on these things, sometimes it makes me wonder if that person had something to hide.
My sentiments exactly, Mike!

Something to hide or planning to do something that may require hiding?

Old 09-28-2008, 02:24 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Here are the red light intersection rules:
Defensive Driving Rule #9: Don't Run Red Lights!
Photo enforcement intersections have red or yellow stripping where the enforcement starts. If you've cleared that red or yellow line with your front bumper when the light turns red you are safe from red light running. If your front bumper is before the yellow or red line when the light turns red, and you continue, you've run the red light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona