Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 AM

11 posts, read 39,253 times

Advertisements

No Steve, we sold the ranch back in the early 70's which was then sold in 40 acre lots! Even after we moved from the ranch (grandmother and grandad still lived there) to Elfrida and before we sold the ranch it became virtually impossible to slaughter and sell beef by the quarter as you had to have a Federal Inspector come and inspect the beef all the way from Tucson or Phoenix and pay mileage and hourly rate
where before we just had to have the local cattle inspector come out and stamp the beef and tag the hide. You never delivered a carcass without the hide or you were in deep doo-doo! A hide washed off the truck in Turkey Creek one time and that beef was to be delivered to the County Hospital in Douglas
which my dad did and they almost threw him hin the hoosegow! Two weeks later when the creek went down we found the hide a 1/4 mile from where it washed off the truck, took it in and then the hospital could use the beef. The aging of the beef sure didn't hurt quality, only improved it! Very few locals can slaughter and sell beef any longer as it is economically unfeasable with curremt regulations! And even the big packing plants have gone to "boxed beef" now instead of "hanging beef" ( in halves or quarters) in order to sell certain beef products where demand is high as well as the size of the cuts. Doubt if any hanging beef is sold anywhere anymore. Best bet is talk to local meat markets and find if there is someone you could take your own animal too and have it slaughtered and cut up the way you would like.
Use to be a place in Willcox but not sure if they are still in business or not. Grow and feed your own is the way to go if you have a place to get it slaughtered and processed!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM

206 posts, read 535,939 times
A guy just opened a one man slaughtering operation on Kings Hwy. outside of Douglas, not too far N. of RT. 80. Hey Guy. if you lived on Turkey Creek, did you know where the old CCC ranch headquarters was? Ive been up there many times looking for some remnants. I think it's where the road makes a curve and heads North. Mike B.
P.S. remember the old cattle inspector-Mr. Eddington?

Last edited by mike b 1; 06-20-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 PM

123 posts, read 350,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
County map shows the head of turkey creek just north of my place. Sulpher Springs is in the same section.
Steve the creek may eventually end up there (foot not head) with very heavy persistent rains, but it starts up in the Chiricahua Mountains, a good 40+ miles away . . . but that part of the creek has not had water running from the mountains for along time, maybe some rain water fell into it . . .

Old 06-29-2010, 06:24 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,357,638 times
Looked like a dry wash when I checked it out.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:08 AM

11 posts, read 39,253 times
Default CCC headquarters

Mike b 1,my great grand father was a cowpuncher for the CCC for a few years until he took off and left my great grandmother with 10 kids of her own and nephew to raise. As for the headquarter's place, as I recall my grandfather said they were located in the south end of Kansas settlement on the east side of the Kansas Settlement highway and north of 191. My great grandmother homesteaded up right at the base of the Chiricahua's across Turkey Creek and Pritim creeks and several of her sons also homesteaded in that immediate area also. Our ranch was on both side of the highway 181 from about the old 2-story Grantham store that we bought from Mrs. Grantham back in the late 40's, going south about a mile and about 2 miles north on each side of the highway. My dad and grandad worked for the State Highway Dept. when they paved 181 for the first time and my dad carried the mail also from Pearce all the way to the end of the road up Turkey Creek. Yes, knew Sam Eddington well as well as his predecessor, Jack Giles, both of which were our local cattle inspectors over the years. The paved highway, before it was designated as 181 and before I was born was previously a dirt road on the north side of Turkey Creek and ran through what was the community of Light. Only thing remaining at Light is the Cemetary. That is where my dad was born, in the town of Light on a kitchen table! The ony way across Turkey Creek during the monsoon summer rains was an old wooden bridge leading to the Rathburn ranch west of our old ranch where our headquarter's were on the northside of Turkey Creek. I can remember one year when my grandmother never left the ranch for at least 3 months as she would not ride a horse across Turkey Creek to be able to go to Douglas, Bisbee, Pearce, or Elfrida. Hope this helps a little!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 AM

I checked the county maps again and it does say Turkey Creek so you may be right. It must end there in the Sulphur Springs Valley as a dry wash. Sulphur Springs itself is there on the section I am on.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 12,975 times
Default Also thinking of moving there from Mi. Any waterways nearby?

Hi, I am also looking at Sunsites Ranches for the horse property, seclusion and country living. My only question is this: Is there any bodies of water nearby for swimming, fishing and boating? Also, has anyone else bought from this company and had ay issues? I am living in Michigan right now and cannot see the land, although I worked at JBs restaurant in Benson years ago. I can't recall any water that way and I was young, never bothered looking Also, I am sure so much has changed. Look forward to hearing from you guys.
Thank you!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 AM

76 posts, read 259,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcowgill1971 View Post
Hi, I am also looking at Sunsites Ranches for the horse property, seclusion and country living. My only question is this: Is there any bodies of water nearby for swimming, fishing and boating? Also, has anyone else bought from this company and had ay issues? I am living in Michigan right now and cannot see the land, although I worked at JBs restaurant in Benson years ago. I can't recall any water that way and I was young, never bothered looking Also, I am sure so much has changed. Look forward to hearing from you guys.
Thank you!
There is no water nearby. Parker Lake I think is the closest, which is about an hours drive away.
Also come and look at the property before you buy. Make sure the title is clear as there is a big problem with that down here.
Do as much research as you can on both the land and the company you are buying from. Caution is the better part of valor.
There are some good realtor's here that might find you a better deal, but do not buy anything sight unseen.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Good advice.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 PM

168 posts, read 503,012 times
Steve,
Did you get a chance to visit the area in April? If you did, do you have any pics to share?

I hoping to vaction there in June, so many places around there I want to explore. The anticipation is driving me mad, I must get out on the road again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona