Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM

168 posts, read 502,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BeeAlive View Post
What is the Compressed Earth Block made of?
Cement and mud/earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I am going to like the mild weather year around. We are going to put that clay to use with a CEB (Compressed Earth Block) home.
Sounds like you are going to have one cool place, post pics when you get started, that would be awesome to see.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 PM

17 posts, read 36,958 times
Talking Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertZone View Post
Cement and mud/earth
Okay, I thought so.
When my husband & I concidered building, we thought of something like that, but chose rather to buy a home that was already built, as building your own home takes a lot of hard work, etc.......!! My husband Shawn & I are into being somewhat green: In that we care about our home environment.

There are some premade walls & all you do is put them up, & make the holes where you want the windows to be. It is pretty neat, & your walls come to you via an 18 wheeler & are delievered. Then you & your friends & family put up the walls & you have an instant shell, then you work on fixing up the inside to suit your needs. I do not remember what it is called, however this is what we were thinking of.

B4 my husband Shawn & I moved here, we did a lot of online investigation of the area, etc.......!! My husband knew so much about the area, that he was able to finish the realtors sentance & also direct him through a short cut, & the realitor asked him how he knew about it?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
My husband Shawn & I are into being somewhat green: In that we care about our home environment.
That is awesome, I love green homes. My favorites are ones that work well with the wildlife in the area.

Have you moved there yet?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:14 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,347,442 times
CEB is made from any suitable soil from many places on earth. Cement can be used to amend the mix but is not needed with this high clay soil. CEB is many times stronger than adobe, and is uniform in block size and weight. There are a couple of CEB Buildings in Sunsites.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
CEB is made from any suitable soil from many places on earth. Cement can be used to amend the mix but is not needed with this high clay soil. CEB is many times stronger than adobe, and is uniform in block size and weight. There are a couple of CEB Buildings in Sunsites.
Thanks for the good info on the blocks. I'm learing something every day.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 PM

17 posts, read 36,958 times
Thumbs up Sunsites/Pearce Pix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertZone View Post
That is awesome, I love green homes. My favorites are ones that work well with the wildlife in the area.

Have you moved there yet?
Yes, we have lived here for about 2 1/2 years @ least.
My husband is the one who posted most of these pictures that you see here.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, we have lived here for about 2 1/2 years @ least.
My husband is the one who posted most of these pictures that you see here.
So do you and your husband enjoy living there, I assume that you do.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM

11 posts, read 39,244 times
Compressed Earth Block is "Adobe" which is made from mud and in some cases straw or grass is added. The result is a home that is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than a conventional brick or frame home. There are still some adobe ruins to be found in that part of the country which were built around 1900! One that comes to mind is just north of Elfrida and Webb Road on 191 on the east side and to the best of my knowledge is the oldest home in the south part of the Sulphur Springs Valley and was owned by the Olsen family back then. My dad, the late Gail Price, was born at Light which is due east of Pearce where nothing exists today except the Light Cemetary where my great-great grandfather, Michael McDonald, is buried. He passed away on March 23, 1928 and was born in County Corke, Ireland in September, 1826! His occupation as listed on his death certificate: Pony Express rider! The school picture seen above was where my dad graduated from High School, Pearce Union High School! Lot's of Price family history all up and down Turkey Creek which drains into the old dry lake. My dad and grandad used to supply all the beef to Albert Rothe who owned the old Pearce store. Time for me to shut up and let you folks get your nap in!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Just got back home from a Cochise County vacation.

Here is a couple of pics of old Pearce

and a couple of Sunsites "one of my favorite places"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona