Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My question would be; if it weren't for the crowds...would everyone still vote for the North rim? Someone mentioned more views and places to stop on the south rim.

Personally I'm wondering how much time it takes to 'do' the Grand Canyon and Zion and Bryce and what the latest dates to do this are. I'm thinking October if this year, but if I waited till next year it would still be Sept, Oct Nov probably. Or Feb March April is a possibility.

Hopefully Blackshoe will check back in with more details of his trip.
If your trip ends up being in Feb-April, the South Rim will be your only choice, as the North Rim road and facilities are not open. Zion and Bryce are open year round.

The Canyon is spectacular from either rim, I prefer the surrounding scenery on the north.

If I was going to "do" all three parks, I would not push it into three days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,344,486 times
I have been to both many times. I hiked it from rim to rim on my 40th birthday. After over 20 trips I say do both. Depends on the time of year though. North rim is closed a good part of the year, and south rim is open year round. You really must see it winter and summer.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:02 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,478,522 times
I have to agree with Steve, seeing the snow on cacti at South Rim changes the whole experience. Just exploring one park usually requires several days. Trying to do three is basically run into the visitor center check things out and move on.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:45 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,478,522 times
I should have added that the South Rim in the winter is a crap shoot at times due to the inversion that sits in. You may just see a layer of clouds and haze in the hole and the visibility across is limited.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:14 PM

603 posts, read 946,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My question would be; if it weren't for the crowds...would everyone still vote for the North rim? Someone mentioned more views and places to stop on the south rim.

Personally I'm wondering how much time it takes to 'do' the Grand Canyon and Zion and Bryce and what the latest dates to do this are. I'm thinking October if this year, but if I waited till next year it would still be Sept, Oct Nov probably. Or Feb March April is a possibility.

Hopefully Blackshoe will check back in with more details of his trip.
I actually prefer the South Rim. I enjoy ranger led hikes and presentations, and they have a few more options for those on the South Rim.

Bryce can be done in one day. More time is always better, but compared to the others, Bryce is a small enough park that you can see much of it and do a couple of great hikes in a single day. It's worth it to stay for the astronomy presentations in the evening.

If you try to do Zion in one day, you will regret it. 2 days minimum. If Bryce is "Disneyland", then Zion is "Disney World".

The North Rim of GC is beautiful. It's a great place to get away and relax. However, for me, Zion has more to see and do. A day at North Rim was excellent.

February and March is pretty cold. I would actually shoot for September.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 PM

890 posts, read 2,280,940 times
I haven't been to either, but have been to Tuweep on the northwest side of the canyon, as well as Havasupai.

Tuweep is amazing as there is hardly anyone there during the week, since it is so far from everything. I have heard more people come to camp at the 12 campsites on weekends and holidays, and they are first come, first served, but have not been there during those times. It is probably 2 hours from anything, and you need a 4x4 or possibly just high clearance vehicle for the last mile or so. The road before then is bumpy but passable in any vehicle. (I had to abandon the sedan and walk the last bit, so I would know ). There are no services except for a pit toilet. It would be wise to bring extra gas, water, and food just in case. There are no railings and you can sit directly on the edge of the canyon and take in the sights. There is a trail you can hike into the canyon, but it is very steep so you must be sure you will be able to get back up. I loved the feeling of being so far removed from everything, but the downside is that it is a looong drive from most places in Arizona. It is more easily accessible from St. George or Las Vegas.

Havasupai was incredible but that is at least a 3 day trip if you want a whole day there. Plus you need gear (at minimum a backpack, shelter [tent/tarp/hammock/etc], and good hiking shoes). You also need to be in fairly good shape; the hike down isn't bad at all, but coming back out can be brutal (I hired a mule to carry the gear out, which I recommend if you are in less than amazing physical shape. It made the hike out 10x easier.) You can also fly in and out on the helicopter on certain days, but that seems like it defeats the purpose??? Plus it is expensive. The camping fees are also steep as it is on a reservation. Having said all that, all the money and time was absolutely worth it. The waterfalls are like a mirage in the desert, except they are real. If you have the opportunity to do this trip, take it!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,897 times
Not sure why some posters are saying South Rim is a "desert". Are you thinking of the West Rim on the Reservation with the Skywalk ? It's 7000 feet with PondeBullBoxer31 very similar to Flagstaff in Tusayan and GC Village.

Obviously South Rim is catered towards the city folks. Plenty of chained hotels and places to eat in Tusayan like Best Western which has a bowling alley too. Many just walk around GC Village for an hour, take a few pics and leave. At the very least, I recommend walking a few miles from Mather Point to GC Village. If you don't feel like walking back, take the shuttle bus which is free right in GC Village back to MP parking lot.

Been to North Rim once this year. I'm a nature guy and prefer the desolate vibe of the place. My wife isn't and is much more comfy on South Rim. If I went by myself, I''d pick Page, AZ as opposed to St George as a place to set up shop for a few days. Lake Powell, North Rim and Zion are all minutes to no more than 3 hours away from Page.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:16 PM

603 posts, read 946,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Not sure why some posters are saying South Rim is a "desert". Are you thinking of the West Rim on the Reservation with the Skywalk ? It's 7000 feet with PondeBullBoxer31 very similar to Flagstaff in Tusayan and GC Village.
I think because the South Rim is technically considered the "Upper Sonoran Desert" up to 7000 feet. I agree, it doesn't really look like desert, but I'm sure they have some good reason to classify it that way.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
I think because the South Rim is technically considered the "Upper Sonoran Desert" up to 7000 feet. I agree, it doesn't really look like desert, but I'm sure they have some good reason to classify it that way.
The Upper Sonoran Desert effectively ends when you stop seeing saguaros which is about 3000 feet in places north of Black Canyon City, north of Sunflower and east of Superior. You get the idea. The Grand Canyon is on the Colorado Plateau . The Colorado Plateau is everywhere north of the Mogollon Rim some 100 miles south of the South Rim. The Sonoran Desert doesn't extend much further north than PHX. You have the Mohave Desert (higher desert) when you get north and west of Wickenburg and the Colorado Plateau just above Verde Valley. Sonoran is PHX and points southward and westward.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,864,669 times
I really appreciate the advice given here. We have been to the South Rim a few times and even stayed over night in one of the park lodges ( Yavapi ?) However, we have always been curious about the North Rim and I have been reading the above posts. I think it is too late to stay at the Lodge in the park. I sort of like the idea of seeing Bryce and Zion as well. We have been to Arches and enjoyed that. One caveat, my wife has MS and can not walk big distances. So, hiking is out of the question and extended walks are difficult ( she uses a cane). Is this doable ? The heat shouldn't be a problem in that altitude. Comments most welcome!! Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona