Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 AM

270 posts, read 1,110,110 times

Advertisements

My husband and an out-of-town friend are planing to go to Grand Canyon. They have about 2 and a half days and I thought they should have enough time to do stuff around the South Rim, GC.

The problem is we moved here since '08 and have not even made it there ourselves. So we really do not know what is there and where to go. I am hoping some of you could give me ideas.

Our friend is arriving on 10/25 @Skyharbor Airport and leaves on 10/28. I suggested they drive to Flagstaff and stay the night. Then drive to GC the next morning and start their "tour."

So far, I found in AZ Rep's Travel section, Shoshone Point @ South Rim has a mile long trail with a look-out at the end. Sounds like a easy hike with a nice view.

I also could use suggestions on lodging for the guys. Hotel or motel rooms equiped with 2 beds or bed/sofa bed combo.

Last question, how far is the N. Rim to the S. Rim? Is it possible for them to do a drive around the Rim in 2 days? (Just wondering)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Check out the website Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service) and you’ll have most of the answers you’re looking for. There is also lodging in the Grand Canyon National Park that you’ll want to be able to stay at if possible.

There should be enough to keep you busy at the south rim, however the “east” rim area typically has fewer visitors and just as interesting as the area of the “south” rim. Shoshone Point, East Rim Drive, Grand Canyon, Arizona

Driving from the airport to Flagstaff is a good idea, it’s two hours at best and from the airport you’re looking more towards a three hour drive trip, a lot depends on traffic rush hours trying to get out of Phoenix.

If you have extra time (could be a problem) you might want to drive through Sedona and view the redrock area.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM

AksarbeN, thx. I downloaded the trip planner from NPS and found it helpful. I did not know it is 2+ hrs from Sky Harbor to Flagstaff; perhaps they could tour the Lowell Observertory that night (?)

Visiting Sedona on the way back is a good idea. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:29 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,995 times
I agree with AksarbeN, that a drive on the way home through Sedona (89 at southern part of Flagstaff) would be great. But, do it on the way home, so you can drive down through Oak Creak Canyon.

There are also lots of places to stop along Historic Route 66.

Havasu is another option. If money is no object, you can take a helicopter ride down to Supai Village and then it's just a 2 mile hike to the falls - absolutely beautiful!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
It should be a great time with the changing of colors on the trees in the upper elevations. Hwy 89 out of Flag along Oak Creak Canyon might be just the right time for this. Might have to pack warmer clothing or jacket also for the trip?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:20 PM

We kept our winter jackets from IL just for this reason :-)

Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 AM

370 posts, read 1,564,762 times
As a side note, although it will be the off season, parking can be difficult at times. Your first stop should be the Visitor Center. From there you will find buses that take you over several of the more popular routes. While at the GC you can leave the VC and walk all the way to the main village - the path is fairly level HOWEVER you are at about 7000 feet and the air can be a little thin! There are two approaches to the GC, I think the quickest (and safest) is out I-40 towards Williams and then north. Williams has a train tour to the GC (which is kind of unique) - you can get a tour package for motel and round trip train from Grand Canyon Railroad. I would allow almost another two hours from Flagstaff to GC if you are driving. I agree that a quick side trip to Sedona (coming or going) would be worthwhile (although the driver may not enjoy the winding mountain road thru Oak Creek Canyon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona