Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM

768 posts, read 1,760,142 times

Advertisements

Both!

The South and North Rims are very different - in beauty, temperature, crowds, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:12 PM

24,305 posts, read 13,149,631 times
I personally prefer the North Rim. Certainly less crowded. In September 1995 I camped on the edge of the canyon... it was just me, my spouse, and a couple of other folks in their tents. Nothing like waking up and stepping out of your tent to a most amazing view. (Could not step too far...) Extremely quiet, killer sunsets, etc.

The cons: There are very limited services in the area. Take in everything you need. (Take it out, also, please...) Most roads were decent but I was glad I had a high-clearance 4x4 with good off-road tires. It gets COLD there at 9000 feet... at sunrise on Labor Day it was below freezing.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:08 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Caphillsea, you're coming from far away, so you're probably willing to go the extra mile to see more fantastic stuff! if you're going to the North Rim, give yourself time to go up to Kanab and see Zion, too. You can catch some amazing scenery by going all the way to up Page and the Glen Canyon Dam on 89, then turn west to Kanab (it'll take you a day to drive from Flagstaff to Kanab), spend the night there (cute town, used in many Western movies), tour Zion the next day (you can do the short version in a few hours), and then head back through Kanab on alt.89 and south to the North Rim. Make sure you watch both the morning and the evening light over the Grand Canyon. Then, as you head back toward Flagstaff, you'll be driving on alt.89 along the Pariah Plateau through Marble Canyon until alt.89 meets up with 89 south--it's an incredible trip, and worth the long drive. Much more fun than traveling from Flag to the South Rim where there's not much to see except for pinyon pine forest until you're actually at the Rim. Just remember to get gas whenever there's a gas station, and bring lots of water. You'll need to hydrate because of the climate and altitude, and if you should get stuck it's good to have extra water...

As much as the South Rim is more touristy, I have to say that you can travel/hike along the rim and catch more varied and broader vistas of the Canyon than at the North Rim where there is not quite as much of a road along the Rim. Grand Canyon North Rim map

Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM

24,305 posts, read 13,149,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Caphillsea, you're coming from far away, so you're probably willing to go the extra mile to see more fantastic stuff! if you're going to the North Rim, give yourself time to go up to Kanab and see Zion, too. You can catch some amazing scenery by going all the way to up Page and the Glen Canyon Dam on 89, then turn west to Kanab (it'll take you a day to drive from Flagstaff to Kanab), spend the night there (cute town, used in many Western movies), tour Zion the next day (you can do the short version in a few hours), and then head back through Kanab on alt.89 and south to the North Rim. Make sure you watch both the morning and the evening light over the Grand Canyon. Then, as you head back toward Flagstaff, you'll be driving on alt.89 along the Pariah Plateau through Marble Canyon until alt.89 meets up with 89 south--it's an incredible trip, and worth the long drive. Much more fun than traveling from Flag to the South Rim where there's not much to see except for pinyon pine forest until you're actually at the Rim. Just remember to get gas whenever there's a gas station, and bring lots of water. You'll need to hydrate because of the climate and altitude, and if you should get stuck it's good to have extra water...

As much as the South Rim is more touristy, I have to say that you can travel/hike along the rim and catch more varied and broader vistas of the Canyon than at the North Rim where there is not quite as much of a road along the Rim. Grand Canyon North Rim map
Absolutely concur. We went to Zion in '95 as well. Without getting hyper-philosophical, it is doubtful you will ever feel more awestruck.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:45 PM

178 posts, read 605,128 times
I used to work at the North Rim years ago. There were no cell phones, no newspapers, no internet and only a payphone and 1 television in the bar. If you really want to have an experience, completely disconnect from the outside world while you are there. Temperatures can get below freezing into early June and by September 1st the leaves start changing. If you want to connect with nature in a very intimate way hike out to Bright Angel point an hour before the sun goes down and sit on the big rock a few feet from the end of the trail where the railing is. Stay up there until you have just enough light to hike back safely. Bright Angel point is less than half a mile from the main lodge. I have been to the South Rim and scenic places around the world and there is no other experience equal to this one or the peace and tranquility it will bring your soul. There are also many places to hike, other beautiful overlooks and you can ride a mule down into the canyon. Don't forget water and remember it can be 30+ degrees warmer at the bottom of the canyon. The drive to the North Rim is very well worth it and very rewarding. The South Rim is nice but the North Rim is about 1300-1500 feet higher and offers a unique experience you won't find on the South Rim

Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,095,192 times
Hmmm. I have been to both. But once I went to the North Rim, I never went to the South Rim again. But as other posters have related, the North Rim is much higher, colder and access can be more difficult depending on timing. Just watch the weather/road reports. Every year is different. My last visit was ~ Sept 2003. It didn't snow, but it did get a bit cold. If you are prepared, the North Rim is the only way to go.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 11-17-2011 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: off topic - please send a DM

Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Caphillsea, you're coming from far away, so you're probably willing to go the extra mile to see more fantastic stuff!
As many have noted, it takes extra time and planning to visit the North Rim. One option that worked very well for this poster was to use St. George as a base to visit three national parks on successive days. First Bryce, then Zion, and last, the North Rim. Another trip came from the Four Corners area through the Navajo Nation and stayed in Page, and to the Canyon the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStone777 View Post
The drive to the North Rim is very well worth it and very rewarding.
On one trip an unexpected treat was spotting a flock of wild turkeys foraging along the roadside ahead of us. Only had a few seconds to admire them after stopping the car as they flushed and were gone. Found out later that Arizona was trying to establish a turkey population in the Kaibab National Forest.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 15,920 times
Go to the North Rim. Stay at the Gr Canyon Lodge if you can get in or stay at the Kaibab Lodge about 18 miles away. North rim is much less crowded.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 PM

246 posts, read 401,147 times
Another vote for the north rim. We camped in the national forest land up there for a week last July and that's the camping trip against which all our other camping trips are measured against. Hardly saw anyone except for when we went down to the lodge area. We did make the mistake of driving up to Zion one day, and it was horribly overcrowded. Traffic jams to get in and then took 20 minutes to find a parking spot.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:08 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
My question would be; if it weren't for the crowds...would everyone still vote for the North rim? Someone mentioned more views and places to stop on the south rim.

Personally I'm wondering how much time it takes to 'do' the Grand Canyon and Zion and Bryce and what the latest dates to do this are. I'm thinking October if this year, but if I waited till next year it would still be Sept, Oct Nov probably. Or Feb March April is a possibility.

Hopefully Blackshoe will check back in with more details of his trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona