Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

Well, I do believe the proverbial straw has broken the camel's back and I am going to finally leave the Phoenix metro area. However, due to health insurance issues, I have to stay in Arizona.

I'm thinking somewhere not too far from Tucson or Bisbee, possibly even Jerome. But I want to stay away from snow or any snow that would be signficiant. I want to escape the conservatism of Phoenix and go somewhere more left leaning. Also, I'd like the cost of living to be low and lots of interesting things to do. Sedona is out. Any input is welcome.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 PM

896 posts, read 1,476,007 times
Are you sure that those are ALL of your demands?

How about "snow's a little, but only when I want it to..."

Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Are you sure that those are ALL of your demands?
Hmmm, let me think.... Nah, I'm sure there might be a couple more, but those are the most important ones.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Prescott is nice and it rarely snows there. I am not left so I do not know the political climate there will suit you.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Prescott is nice and it rarely snows there. I am not left so I do not know the political climate there will suit you.
Yes, it is better than Phoenix, but it does snow more than to my liking and it is expensive. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I think Tucson itself would suit you just fine. Once you get out into the towns around Tucson, the politics is perhaps not so left leaning. Bisbee, being on the artsy side, might work. It's a drive to major medical, though, not sure how close you need to be.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think Tucson itself would suit you just fine. Once you get out into the towns around Tucson, the politics is perhaps not so left leaning. Bisbee, being on the artsy side, might work. It's a drive to major medical, though, not sure how close you need to be.
Yes, I have been to Bisbee and it struck me as quaint and different, definitely off the beaten path. While I have conditions that require I have health insurance, all are under control and I am guessing they must at least have a hospital in Bisbee?

Tucson is on the radar simply because it is more left leaning than Phoenix. I am not so sure I would care for the city itself, but it might be a step up from Phoenix. I can't leave AZ until 2014 at least but this situation just isn't working for me anymore. Maybe all of it's a blessing in disguise.

Also suggested to me have been Cottonwood or Sierra Vista, but I know neither of those towns. What I liked about Bisbee was the fact it is artsy and doesn't have the feel of Phoenix. Thanks.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 02-14-2011 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Yes, it is better than Phoenix, but it does snow more than to my liking and it is expensive. Thanks for the suggestion though.
What about Northern Arizona such as Kingman, Lake Havasu or Bullhead City? Those all have no to little snow (Kingman).

Old 02-14-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
What about Northern Arizona such as Kingman, Lake Havasu or Bullhead City? Those all have no to little snow (Kingman).
You read my mind. I had a friend who lived in BHC who always used to tell me I should move there. In fact, I just left him a voice mail. Darn it! Now he sold his place so I would not be able to look forward to visiting with him. Not sure about the politics there, but the Colorado River is there. I don't have the best feeling about Kingman (although I don't know it but don't think it's artsy) and don't know anything about Lake Havasu either. But great ideas and I'll google on Lake Havasu (which is a real lake I presume?) Thanks!

Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, I do believe the proverbial straw has broken the camel's back and I am going to finally leave the Phoenix metro area. However, due to health insurance issues, I have to stay in Arizona.

I'm thinking somewhere not too far from Tucson or Bisbee, possibly even Jerome. But I want to stay away from snow or any snow that would be signficiant. I want to escape the conservatism of Phoenix and go somewhere more left leaning. Also, I'd like the cost of living to be low and lots of interesting things to do. Sedona is out. Any input is welcome.
Tucson

The other cities that are liberal leaning like Flagstaff and Bisbee have snow and are much colder. The cost of living in Tucson is cheaper than the Phoenix area and it's a big enough city that it offers enough to do. It's also close to Bisbee, Sonoita, and Mt Lemmon so it offers enough to do. It also offers cooler weather (about 10 degrees cooler) but this also means Tucson has somewhat of a real winter season (no snow but occasional ice). Tucson also receives more precipitation and is on par with many cities in Southern California with regard to rain.

Sierra Vista is conservative because of the military base it is definitely more Phoenix-feeling than Tucson and Bisbee. Bisbee is an art town but there isn't really much to do there aside from some of the night life in downtown Bisbee. I think Tucson is ideal for you. It's definitely more liberal and I think you would be happy there. Plus, you want to be around major hospitals and Tucson has several good hospitals including the best hospital in the state UMC (University Medical Center).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona