Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,011,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Tucson

The other cities that are liberal leaning like Flagstaff and Bisbee have snow and are much colder. The cost of living in Tucson is cheaper than the Phoenix area and it's a big enough city that it offers enough to do. It's also close to Bisbee, Sonoita, and Mt Lemmon so it offers enough to do. It also offers cooler weather (about 10 degrees cooler) but this also means Tucson has somewhat of a real winter season (no snow but occasional ice). Tucson also receives more precipitation and is on par with many cities in Southern California with regard to rain.

Sierra Vista is conservative because of the military base it is definitely more Phoenix-feeling than Tucson and Bisbee. Bisbee is an art town but there isn't really much to do there aside from some of the night life in downtown Bisbee. I think Tucson is ideal for you. It's definitely more liberal and I think you would be happy there. Plus, you want to be around major hospitals and Tucson has several good hospitals including the best hospital in the state UMC (University Medical Center).
Well, thank you azriverfan. See, this whole time I really wasn't bluffing, I just needed something to push me over the edge and now I've got it in my new wonderful neighbor who is building 7 ft from our common wall. That's all it really takes and I am outta here. I have a realtor coming out here the end of the month and good thing I just re-did all the flooring. It is doubtful that anyone will buy not having seen what is going up next door, but at least now I know what I need to do. And, let's not forget that wave of foreclosures coming on the market in 2012 which promises to make things even worse for people unless said people are willing to stick it out in Phoenix for years.

I'll definitely consider Tucson, although Lake Havasu (on the border with CA) and BHC (on the border with Nevada) mean quick getaways to either of those states so I won't rule that out either. I just briefly googled on Lake Havasu but will have to find out about the political leanings of both these two places.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:46 PM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
The only reason Tucson is liberal is that they have scads more poor people and illegals on the dole than does Phoenix. The "good" areas of Tucson - the burbs out in Pima county like Oro Valley - are just as right wing as anything in Phoenix. Don't be fooled. Tucson may be liberal for AZ but it would be a right-wing enclave in Massachussetts.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The only reason Tucson is liberal is that they have scads more poor people and illegals on the dole than does Phoenix. The "good" areas of Tucson - the burbs out in Pima county like Oro Valley - are just as right wing as anything in Phoenix. Don't be fooled. Tucson may be liberal for AZ but it would be a right-wing enclave in Massachussetts.
Ah, thank you, very informative. That is not the kind of "liberal" I have in mind. I am still thinking that maybe Lake Havasu or BHC might be better options. Of course, I only know of BHC due to my friend who kept telling me to move there (I don't gamble so I am not sure about it and kept telling him Laughlin doesn't interest me in the least), but Lake Havasu maybe, provided it has a California feel while still technically being in AZ. Now THAT would work.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:15 PM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ah, thank you, very informative. That is not the kind of "liberal" I have in mind. I am still thinking that maybe Lake Havasu or BHC might be better options. Of course, I only know of BHC due to my friend who kept telling me to move there (I don't gamble so I am not sure about it and kept telling him Laughlin doesn't interest me in the least), but Lake Havasu maybe, provided it has a California feel while still technically being in AZ. Now THAT would work.
Liberal Arizona is an oxymoron. You should give up on that. Jerome and Bisbee might qualify but those people are all stoned so it is a foggy liberalism. BHC is retirees. Need I say more about the politics? Good winter weather though.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Liberal Arizona is an oxymoron. You should give up on that. Jerome and Bisbee might qualify but those people are all stoned so it is a foggy liberalism. BHC is retirees. Need I say more about the politics? Good winter weather though.
Thanks, but I really don't have a choice. I at least have to *try* to get what I want here, due to health insurance considerations.

So far I am really leaning towards Lake Havasu, due to it's sharing of the border with CA and water.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:32 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,356,321 times
Just curious...... how does your health insurance dictate where you live? Is it subsidized by the state or something?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
Just curious...... how does your health insurance dictate where you live? Is it subsidized by the state or something?
No, it is portability (the most expensive) and I only get to keep it if I stay in AZ. Basically, it's private insurance for the uninsurable that is mandated by law and can be marked up by as much as 400%. However, if one leaves the state, one loses all rights to it, even though I pay up the ying yang and have a $10K deductible. Thank you Bill Clinton for HIPPA. And I do mean that. What he did was to FORCE insurance companies to insure those without breaks in coverage and after COBRA, even at outrageous prices.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,356,321 times
I see. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:42 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,242,126 times
FYI, Jerome is not inexpensive, probably on par with Sedona, and only has 500 people. It is a cool place to visit though and has gotten some good restaurants lately.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 PM

260 posts, read 512,132 times
In my opinion, it would be best to visit Kingman, and the area, Wickieup, and check for yourself the hospitals, restaurants, and all the churches, etc. And see if you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona