Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times

Advertisements

can you just move to a more liberal area within Phx and save the extra hassle?....like the 7th St/7th Ave/Indian School region?...or Tempe near State?....

I think Kingman and BHC are just a little bit redneckish for you (apologies to kdog and rambrush), but they're big enough to have a variety of people....LHC, I think, will be California-lite, but not particularly liberal....just my opinion, of course....

otherwise, Tucson is your place....but, as with all large communities, there are all types here.....not as flashy and wealthy as the Phoenix area....slower pace, but they honk here, too.....

Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Yes, I have been to Bisbee and it struck me as quaint and different, definitely off the beaten path. While I have conditions that require I have health insurance, all are under control and I am guessing they must at least have a hospital in Bisbee?

Tucson is on the radar simply because it is more left leaning than Phoenix. I am not so sure I would care for the city itself, but it might be a step up from Phoenix. I can't leave AZ until 2014 at least but this situation just isn't working for me anymore. Maybe all of it's a blessing in disguise.

Also suggested to me have been Cottonwood or Sierra Vista, but I know neither of those towns. What I liked about Bisbee was the fact it is artsy and doesn't have the feel of Phoenix. Thanks.
They do have a hospital in Bisbee, Copper Queen Community Hospital.

I don't think you'd find LHC or Bullhead to be particularly "liberal leaning", but that's just my impression. Someone who lives there would have a better pulse on that.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They do have a hospital in Bisbee, Copper Queen Community Hospital.

I don't think you'd find LHC or Bullhead to be particularly "liberal leaning", but that's just my impression. Someone who lives there would have a better pulse on that.
Thanks for the research. I am having this feeling that Lake Havasu just might be the right place as it's right on the CA border and has water. Water is very important. In fact, water might even be more important than politics and Phoenix has two strikes against it right there in my world.

To the previous poster, I do not see myself buying anything else in this area and I did live over in Tempe near ASU at one time. No, I simply need to get out of here and always knew part of the deal would not include buying another place in the Phoenix metro area.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Thanks for the research. I am having this feeling that Lake Havasu just might be the right place as it's right on the CA border and has water. Water is very important. In fact, water might even be more important than politics and Phoenix has two strikes against it right there in my world.

To the previous poster, I do not see myself buying anything else in this area and I did live over in Tempe near ASU at one time. No, I simply need to get out of here and always knew part of the deal would not include buying another place in the Phoenix metro area.
The state rep from Lake Havasu was on TV news today. He was promoting his "Birther Bill". He wants the law in Arizona changed to be that both parents must be US citizens to be on the presidential ballot. His logic went something like this: terrorist comes to America and gets an American pregnant. They raise the kid to be a closet terrorist and groom him to be president. The kid goes to win the presidency and turns the US over to terrorists or Sharia law. This is what he said. This is for real. His bill failed even in the crank AZ legislature. This is Lake Havasu politics. This is the kind of guy they vote for over there. Do you really want to live in that to have a view of the river?

Phoenix is no liberal hotbed, but you can find liberals here if you look. There are organizations and meetings and probably 1/3 of people in Maricopa County are moderate to liberal democrats. You don't have to be alone in your political isolation. As for water, it's nearby. Saguaro Lake and the Salt River are less than an hour away from eastern areas and Lake Pleasant is the same from the NW parts.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-14-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The state rep from Lake Havasu was on TV news today. He was promoting his "Birther Bill". He wants the law in Arizona changed to be that both parents must be US citizens to be on the presidential ballot. His logic went something like this: terrorist comes to America and gets an American pregnant. They raise the kid to be a closet terrorist and groom him to be president. The kid goes to win the presidency and turns the US over to terrorists or Sharia law. This is what he said. This is for real. His bill failed even in the crank AZ legislature. This is Lake Havasu politics. This is the kind of guy they vote for over there. Do you really want to live in that to have a view of the river?

Phoenix is no liberal hotbed, but you can find liberals here if you look. There are organizations and meetings and probably 1/3 of people in Maricopa County are moderate to liberal democrats. You don't have to be alone in your political isolation. As for water, it's nearby. Saguaro Lake and the Salt River are less than an hour away from eastern areas and Lake Pleasant is the same from the NW parts.
LOL, Ponderosa, you are so bad! Did you have to go spoil my fun and my little party? And I'd just found this cute house for $130K.

Rewind. I guess if there are kooks like him over there I cannot go there either. Yikes. But thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
LOL, Ponderosa, you are so bad! Did you have to go spoil my fun and my little party? And I'd just found this cute house for $130K.

Rewind. I guess if there are kooks like him over there I cannot go there either. Yikes. But thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Either that or you just start living your own beliefs and screw what the nutjobs have to say. There must be a least a few sane people in LHC. I'm sure he did not get 100% of the vote.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Either that or you just start living your own beliefs and screw what the nutjobs have to say. There must be a least a few sane people in LHC. I'm sure he did not get 100% of the vote.
Yeah, but point is SOMEONE voted him in and he is REALLY kooky by my definition and even exceeds anything ultra-rightist I'd find here. No, I don't think that is the place for me either. That's ok. Maybe there are other places to discover. But dang, that house was so cute and I'd already requested a showing....

Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but point is SOMEONE voted him in and he is REALLY kooky by my definition and even exceeds anything ultra-rightist I'd find here. No, I don't think that is the place for me either. That's ok. Maybe there are other places to discover. But dang, that house was so cute and I'd already requested a showing....
Well, you ought to go have a look anyway. Maybe it's your destiny.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
That's pretty darned dumb, I gotta say.
What a moron.
And you are right - ANYONE who would vote for an idiot like that has GOT to be brain dead.

On second thought - that rep is not so much DUMB as MENTALLY ILL.

Ken

Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That's pretty darned dumb, I gotta say.
What a moron.
And you are right - ANYONE who would vote for an idiot like that has GOT to be brain dead.

On second thought - that rep is not so much DUMB as MENTALLY ILL.

Ken
People like this get elected for complex reasons, not necessarily because the electorate supports their goofy logic. In AZ, probably like most places, the political boundaries are heavily gerrymandered. The primary process at the state election level really attracts interest only from the activists of each party. The electorate is largely uninformed (who among us can name their state (not federal) senator and reps?) and simply votes for the R or D candidate knowing nothing about them. In as much as the districts are loaded and R's outnumber the D's in Arizona, especially in retirement havens like Lake Havasu, the cranks get voted in handily and use the legislative pulpit to push all their nonsensical ideas. It happens from the left as well but the left is a small minority in the state legislature and their ideas rarely get as much as a hearing in committee.

So in fairness to LHC , I would venture to say that while conservative, they do not tilt nearly so far to the right as their representation would suggest they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona