Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:38 PM

40 posts, read 36,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
LOL! I have to agree with you here!

You know, for as much as I hate the Phoenix area heat and the general transient nature of the desert areas, I have to admit that I love AZ as a state. I love the fact that I can drive north and be in the trees and be in a totally different climate. After living on the East Coast for most of my life, I realized that there's not much difference between NJ, PA, NY, MD, or VA, etc as far as the environment goes. Highways look the same, mountain ranges are about the same size, etc. When you come to AZ you drive a few hours and you can change zones: Tucson looks very different than Phoenix, Prescott is uniquely different from Flagstaff, and Sedona and the Grand Canyon both offer their own uniqueness to our state. Even a weekend trip to Bisbee or Greer can give you a totally different taste of Arizona that you never knew existed.

I grew in up NJ and I have to admit that I loved it there, as well, but all of my family still remaining there can't wait to leave. Taxes, traffic, healthcare issues, etc are making me glad that I moved west. Just not sure I want to retire in AZ full time. We're definitely looking at other options in the next 15 years or so: I think a cabin in Durango, CO might be calling our name!
I love reading stuff like this. I just moved from NJ (lived there my whole life except for the last 3 years in NYC) a month ago for a job. When I came for the interview I fell in love with AZ and knew I needed to give it a try. Of course, I got a little homesick the first month - but I need to read stuff like this to remind myself why I'm here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 08:41 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,974,834 times
Anyone who has lived here more than a few years can see how it pans out 75% of the time (or more)... we hear "oooh, we vacationed there in February and LOVED IT!!! Cant wait to move there!" Then five years later we hear "the heat sucks so bad, everything is brown and boring, Phoenix is lame compared to NYC/Philly/Denver/LA/Chicago/Atlanta, and we're moving back." I swear, Phoenix has the highest transient rate in the nation. Rarely do people stay put over 10 years. I think the heat just takes its toll on people, and they end up missing the seasons. I admit Im a bit guilty of missing the seasons and badmouthing Phoenix (admit it, it does lack a lot), but if you come here just because you saw palm trees and visited in winter when its mild, doesnt mean youre going to like it in the long run.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:26 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,618,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Anyone who has lived here more than a few years can see how it pans out 75% of the time (or more)... we hear "oooh, we vacationed there in February and LOVED IT!!! Cant wait to move there!" Then five years later we hear "the heat sucks so bad, everything is brown and boring, Phoenix is lame compared to NYC/Philly/Denver/LA/Chicago/Atlanta, and we're moving back." I swear, Phoenix has the highest transient rate in the nation. Rarely do people stay put over 10 years. I think the heat just takes its toll on people, and they end up missing the seasons. I admit Im a bit guilty of missing the seasons and badmouthing Phoenix (admit it, it does lack a lot), but if you come here just because you saw palm trees and visited in winter when its mild, doesnt mean youre going to like it in the long run.
Seasons? People missing their "seasons"? Hey! Arizona has seasons as well -- all kinds of differing seasons inside one state.

People continually move here to "escape" the cold, or having to get away from shoveling snow (or whatever). They proclaim how much they hate/hated all that - yet they want it all back? Isn't their original hated winter (complete with cold & snow) a season?

People continue to come to Arizona during the beautiful weather months; move here to paradise, then subsequently begin hating the original paradise?

Yet, this: Arizona is ranked 5th among states where most people would want to live!

Unfortunately, most of this continues to happen because of lack of research. No homework. No study. ALL desire.

Too cold? Too hot? People don't want it either way, yet they keep coming!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Seasons? People missing their "seasons"? Hey! Arizona has seasons as well -- all kinds of differing seasons inside one state.

People continually move here to "escape" the cold, or having to get away from shoveling snow (or whatever). They proclaim how much they hate/hated all that - yet they want it all back? Isn't their original hated winter (complete with cold & snow) a season?

People continue to come to Arizona during the beautiful weather months; move here to paradise, then subsequently begin hating the original paradise?

Yet, this: Arizona is ranked 5th among states where most people would want to live!

Unfortunately, most of this continues to happen because of lack of research. No homework. No study. ALL desire.

I think it all boils down to perception of the state, and peoples' misconceptions. They think AZ is hot year round, which its not. Its overly hot in summer, and relatively mild in winter. Theyre suprised to know its too cold to swim in winter. Theyre suprised it can get down into the 30s often. Theyre suprised how long the heat lasts. Theyre suprised actually how little it rains. Its almost like they do ZERO research before they move. They come down for the Phoenix Open in winter, revel in teh sunshine and no snow, then say "we're moving here! We love it!" Ive heard it a thousand times. Literally.

Then you see em in April, already complaining about the heat and having to run the a/c. I just chuckle a bit and say "well, honey, you've got 5 more straight months of this to look forward to." In fact, our neighbors from Boston are moving back in a few weeks after 8 years here. She literally said to me "the summers just feel like they get longer and longer each year, and we're just tired of it." Kudos to them for lasting 8 years, though!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 AM

394 posts, read 343,506 times
Quote:
Many people move here due to political and social reasons.

LOTS of us came from CA (and other stifling states) - in order to live liberty. The minor inconveniences are FAR outweighed by the Freedom.

Even though you may not see a lot of posts in this regard on this forum - it is the view of MANY.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:35 AM

656 posts, read 814,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post

I agree. We have five seasons (dry and wet summers), and the climate changes predictably and gradually. I love getting up at 5am during the summer, knowing it will be cool enough and bright with sunlight outside.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:02 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,734,016 times
Quote:
BigCats I think you summed it up pretty well. My wife and I were discussing how many people we've known who have moved away for various reasons. I didn't like it when we moved here nearly 18 years ago, but learned to appreciate the STATE when I got out and began exploring it. Arizona's beauty and uniqueness is not in its cities, per se, but in its wilderness areas and diverse climates. I really enjoy off road adventures, hiking and exploring all the state has to offer. If I am honest, though, I still miss autumns back east. I know, people say we get autumn in the state but it is definitely not the same. Oh, and I miss being near an ocean. I do enjoy waking up knowing the sun will be shining, though. Arizona offers plenty of that and the people, for the most part, are nice, if not cordial at best. Politics aside (which affects the national perception vs the reality of daily living here) this is not a bad place to be.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:05 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times
I will take the 115 and no humidity and the 105 with some humidity over 90 and humid in the Midwest.

I am tired of brown. At least in Sun City you see houses of different colors.

Still feel strange when I make a U turn.

Nicer people here.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
BigCats I think you summed it up pretty well. My wife and I were discussing how many people we've known who have moved away for various reasons. I didn't like it when we moved here nearly 18 years ago, but learned to appreciate the STATE when I got out and began exploring it. Arizona's beauty and uniqueness is not in its cities, per se, but in its wilderness areas and diverse climates. I really enjoy off road adventures, hiking and exploring all the state has to offer. If I am honest, though, I still miss autumns back east. I know, people say we get autumn in the state but it is definitely not the same. Oh, and I miss being near an ocean. I do enjoy waking up knowing the sun will be shining, though. Arizona offers plenty of that and the people, for the most part, are nice, if not cordial at best. Politics aside (which affects the national perception vs the reality of daily living here) this is not a bad place to be.
Thats my favorite thing about AZ, too. Minus summer afternoon heat, there isnt much that will ruin your outdoor plans in AZ, and thats a HUGE plus to me. Bike rides on the weekends are almost a guaranteed thing, year round.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:42 AM

226 posts, read 227,634 times
People complain about the lack of community in Phoenix. "It's not like (wherever they're from)". If they would stick around long enough to actually form a community, there would be a community here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona