Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 PM

824 posts, read 2,335,408 times

Advertisements

"Arizona's Budget: We're No. 1! (At Being the Worst)

Lots of states are facing severe budget problems. But only Arizona can say that its problems are the very worst.

The National Conference of State Legislatures released a survey today indicating that Arizona faces a budget deficit representing 24.2 percent of its general fund, easily outpacing No. 2 New York, which faces mere 20 percent reductions.

Rounding out the field of aneurysm-inducing budgets are California (18 percent), Wisconsin (17.2 percent), Minnesota (14.7 percent) and Kansas (14.5 percent)."

azcentral.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 PM

559 posts, read 1,463,814 times
WTH happened? I never remember hearing about Arizona being in debt until the past 3 months. It came out of nowhere for me.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
WTH happened? I never remember hearing about Arizona being in debt until the past 3 months. It came out of nowhere for me.
I wonder that same thing................

Although looking at just the housing market implosion-----------I am not entirely surprised.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:14 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
*sad face. So much for working for DPS.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:51 AM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
AZ is not in debt. The figures are revenue versus historical expenses. The state constitution does not allow deficits (though some accounting maneuvers are employed that are pretty close to debt). Over the years, AZ has shifted taxes from income to sales. Sales are in the tank as you know, so we have budget problems. Programs will be cut, projects delayed, money stolen from cities and towns who will also cut more programs and clever accounting will be employed and eventually things will turn around. Big deal. This happens here in every recession. Boom and bust is part of the picture here - for the state coffers too.

The sad part of this is that with Brewer in charge of the asylum, we will be turning back the meager progress we made toward education, and a biotech and alternative energy economy under JN and handing the reins back to the developers. The legacy of this recession will be a return to the relative dark ages for the state.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-06-2008 at 07:05 AM..

Old 12-06-2008, 12:05 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
"Arizona's Budget: We're No. 1! (At Being the Worst)

Lots of states are facing severe budget problems. But only Arizona can say that its problems are the very worst.

The National Conference of State Legislatures released a survey today indicating that Arizona faces a budget deficit representing 24.2 percent of its general fund, easily outpacing No. 2 New York, which faces mere 20 percent reductions.

Rounding out the field of aneurysm-inducing budgets are California (18 percent), Wisconsin (17.2 percent), Minnesota (14.7 percent) and Kansas (14.5 percent)."

azcentral.com

Geeze..I cant imagine why AZ is going bankrupt
FAIR: Breaking the Piggy Bank: How Illegal Immigration is Sending Schools Into the Red Full Text

Quote:
The total K-12 school expenditure for illegal immigrants costs the states nearly $12 billion annually, and when the children born here to illegal aliens are added, the costs more than double to $28.6 billion.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:32 PM

641 posts, read 2,365,820 times
Wow, I would have thought Michigan to be up there

Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 AM

3 posts, read 10,301 times
SEND the illegal immigrant kids BACK TO MEXICO and maybe we could recover that 28.6 BILLION DOLLARS we spend on K-12 education so the american students at the universities DO NOT HAVE TO SUFFER!!!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 03:41 PM

140 posts, read 467,123 times
Seems Janet's plan to make up the budget issue with the photo radar revenue didn't work as planned. I'm so shocked! I thought it would solve all our worries! Might have something to do with only 1 in 10 or so tickets being paid.

Arizona budget banking on speeders - USATODAY.com

Arizona budget banking on speeders

PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano says the deployment of new photo radar or other speed enforcement technology on state highways is all about public safety. But her proposed state budget counts on the anticipated speeding fines to help erase a projected revenue shortfall.
The proposal, submitted to the Legislature late Friday, anticipates $120 million in revenue the first year, including $90 million in net income after expenses from the statewide effort. Even bigger dollar amounts are expected in future years.
The state faces a projected revenue shortfall of at least $1.2 billion in the fiscal year that starts July 1.
While some states use photo radar and similar technology on a limited basis in areas such as construction zones, experts said Arizona is in the vanguard of moving toward a widespread deployment of speed technology on highways.
"It wasn't designated primarily for revenue generation but since we have it (and) it works, we want to move statewide," Napolitano said. "We made that decision before the whole budget issue arose. Now we take advantage of it and use it for law enforcement highway safety purposes."

Old 01-31-2009, 03:57 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
The free-spending politicians have looted the state and moved on to greener pastures (Washington DC). If you thing AZ is in bad shape just wait until the looters get their gravy train giveaway express rolling on a national level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: