Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_brien View Post
Likely sidewalks aren't a deal breaker for me.

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I would like to live in a neighborhood that has other young professionals with families, where my neighbor might like to come over and drink some home brew, and that is close to a park or trail. It would be fun to see the occasional chicken wondering around, but obviously that isn't a necessity.

Additionally, while there are attributes of my current location that I like, I welcome the change of pace and scenery this move will offer. I have liked everywhere I've had the pleasure to live and view moving as an adventure and an opportunity for new experiences.
Now this comment really has thrown me for a loop. Palmer and Wasilla for chickens but I'm still thinking Eagle River is where you'd fit in best. My daughter and her husband would dabble in the homebrew and invite people over for tastings when they lived in ER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM

482 posts, read 875,469 times
And here I was hoping you'd shed some light on the chickens, Stiffnecked.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 PM

339 posts, read 589,028 times
Doubt you'll see chickens wandering around, sorry but still rofl over that one, HOWEVER a mooses is different story.....

Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 AM

173 posts, read 499,730 times
I think you'll love Anchorage and AK. While Alaska has its rednecks, it sure has the granola factor in ample supply, too. I'm buying a condo in Anchorage and have spend a fair amt of time there this summer deciding if it's "Alaskan enough" for me. I think it is. There are great trails in the city and I think the city is very walkable. There is an Anchorage bike map that shows the bike trails, but I don't know if it's a download.

As far as the area of town, people seem to like the area they are in. A friend in South Anchorage near Jewel lake loves the biking/skiing/shopping there, another is in Turnagain and loves it. (I would have loved to have found a nice condo in Turnagain due to best trails.) I'm buying near U and hospitals because I'll rent it out in winter, I have a friend who lives in and loves that area and I found a nice one there. All have trails close by. Friend says the schools on west side or south are better than on East, but I don't have kids. Eagle River would be a commute and is prob less walkable. The thing I nociticed about Anchorage is how varied the neighborhoods are. One block will have very nice houses or condos and the next might be run down or even have a very rundown trailer park. Bootlegger's Cove is about the only area not like that in the city itself and it's high rent district. The general advice is to avoid Muldoon and Hillside.

As far as the chickens, it's possible you'll find them even downtown. I stayed at a new B and B about 20th Ave last month and she kept chickens. They woke me up at 5:25 and 5:40 doing some noisy huddling thing, so I won't stay there again. The owner was definitely a granola type-very nice.

I'm using Herrington since my friend's family has used them and like them.

Last edited by equinox1; 08-28-2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,621,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_brien View Post
Likely sidewalks aren't a deal breaker for me.

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I would like to live in a neighborhood that has other young professionals with families, where my neighbor might like to come over and drink some home brew, and that is close to a park or trail. It would be fun to see the occasional chicken wondering around, but obviously that isn't a necessity.
If you don't mind the commute, Wasilla or Palmer might be a good choice. But again, that's where a week trip up to look around would be beneficial.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,699 times
Man, this is a tough crowd. Someone asks for local advise and all he gets is a run around.

In terms of property management, I used Paragon Properties to find a rental when we moved back here 5 years ago. They manage a lot of properties and so there should be lots to look at. Note that the rental market is tight here so I if you find something you like, you probably shouldn't wait to commit.

In terms of a neighborhood, based on your criteria, I would say the first place to look would be near downtown - the area south of the parkstrip. Say from 9th Ave to 15th and bounded by Minnesota and C Street. Not sure if you can find much in the way of rentals in your price range but if you can, that would give you walking access to downtown which would be good. The other area that comes to mind is Old Turnagain. That would give you access to the coastal trail and is a pretty neat area.

Other folks probably have other favorite areas but these come to my mind. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM

[quote=equinox1;25841842] The general advice is to avoid Muldoon and Hillside.

Hey! I love the Muldoon area down by the base. Don't think the OP is looking for that type of area since there are no paths there that I know of. Paths up by the college are nice, just watch out for bears as I seem to recall a couple of unpleasant encounters reported last time I was in Anc.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 PM

2,676 posts, read 2,631,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox1 View Post
The general advice is to avoid Muldoon and Hillside.
Why do you suggest avoiding Hillside (Southeast Anchorage)?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 PM

173 posts, read 499,730 times
There are paths/sidewalks in Muldoon area per the bike map. I'd just been told that the crime rate is higher in that area.

I've biked, ran and walked a lot of the trails around the U, the Coastal trail, the Chester Creek Trail and part of the Campbell Creek Trail this summer and had no problem, though we were warned in June that a bear had been on the Chester Cr. Tr shortly before. I've seen moose on the trails, too. Quite honestly, having all those great trails right in the heart of the city with people out on them all the time is what sold me on Anchorage. Having that wth shopping and restaurants a walk/bike ride away is pretty neat.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 PM

I've lived in the Muldoon area twice and never had a problem. Granted I tried to remember to lock car etc, and the house when we left, but still never had a problem and none of my neighbors had any problems either and most of them didn't even lockup at all. Not to say there were not any problems just none that I knew of. I heard bad things about the Hilltop area and I can say most of my, adult, daughter's friends lived --and most still live --there. You are talking the 20- 35 year old group, a lot of them hanging out there are young military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage